• The KillerFrogs

Coach Dykes' Post Game Comments RE: Coordinators

Planks

Yes
Said it at the beginning of the year when I was told what he has said to several potential QB transfers and when he told VBo that people will shut up about Briles once we start winning

Last year was a fluke ala Switzer with the Cowboys

7-5, 8-4 will be the high mark not the standard just as has been his entire careee except for 2 seasons

I can understand not liking the KB hire for off the field reasons.

However, when Switzer took over the Cowboys, they were coming off of two straight Super Bowl wins. When Dykes took over TCU they were coming off of four .500 seasons. This is a laughable comparison.

Let not pretend that TCU was some sort of perennial national championship contender before Dykes took over.

Wexahu

Guessing you missed that is what I said, that he will get a few more years - but none of them deserve any of it

The day you ask for millions on salary is the day you need to deliver day 1

Dykes might be able to ride out this crap show becasie of last year - not sure why when it’s obvious anyone that actually had an impact last year is gone - but our OC wasn’t here and our DC was a problem not a solution even last year

I am sure two weak ass back door closures against Texas and OU and killing Sux2BU - even though they are bottom 5 P5 - will be used to buy baby Briles another year

This is exactly how programs fall into the pit - one excuse a year so we die by 1000 cuts - we saw it with GP and now will repeat it
This idea that you are "accepting mediocrity" if you don't fire guys who don't right away meet expectations is so dumb. Letting KB go for performance reasons would be idiotic unless the plan is a complete change in philosophy, like switching to the triple option or something. All things considered, he did fine.

GP held on to assistants for 10+ years and kept reassigning them to different positions. SD has been here two years and finished #2 in the country his first year. And you're on here incessantly bitching about the assistant coaches. How about giving the guy a chance to make some adjustments? Is bitching and complaining all you have to offer? Literally EVERY SINGLE ONE of your posts sounds like an adolescent rant unless I have you confused for someone else, but there's a handful of you.

Horny4TCU

You can be a complete arschloch too, just don’t try to circumvent the filters while calling them out.

I’ve been pretty adamant that in the past under Scott the ban hammer came down too quickly and we didn’t allow people to vent when needed. Now that we’re letting people vent we have a whole group that want the censors to step back in and make like everything is rainbows and lollipops and sunshine and unicorns.

I’d rather let people say what they’re feeling, especially after seasons like this one, but the mods know posts still have to follow the rules. No one is going to be kicked for venting, but posts that are over the top in violation of rules will be pulled and warning points awarded. The only person who was given a time out repeatedly violated that policy on purpose.

In short, we all love this school and its teams, so let’s keep that in mind while treating everyone as adults.
Understood. But come on. Everyone's opinion get's attacked by certain posters on this board. Some worse than others, (cough dixahu cough) and nothings happens. I post a gif of the Mr. Roger's letting someone know they're number 1 and the post gets deleted.

FrogBall09

This idea that you are "accepting mediocrity" if you don't fire guys who don't right away meet expectations is so dumb. Letting KB go for performance reasons would be idiotic unless the plan is a complete change in philosophy, like switching to the triple option or something. All things considered, he did fine.

GP held on to assistants for 10+ years and kept reassigning them to different positions. SD has been here two years and finished #2 in the country his first year. And you're on here incessantly bitching about the assistant coaches. How about giving the guy a chance to make some adjustments? Is bitching and complaining all you have to offer? Literally EVERY SINGLE ONE of your posts sounds like an adolescent rant unless I have you confused for someone else, but there's a handful of you.
You are accepting it when you hired it to start

What I have to offer is get rid of them - last year was a fluke - look at the careers of the guys still here since you like stats so much - and if we act like it was anything else we will spend years descending back to where we fought for 20 years to get out of…

Every coach on our staff that made a difference last year is gone

FrogBall09

I can understand not liking the KB hire for off the field reasons.

However, when Switzer took over the Cowboys, they were coming off of two straight Super Bowl wins. When Dykes took over TCU they were coming off of four .500 seasons. This is a laughable comparison.

Let not pretend that TCU was some sort of perennial national championship contender before Dykes took over.
They both won something with another coaches players- something Dykes has done before and then once those guys moved on - it was over

The guys who got him 10 wins at SMU left here last year

It’s over

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Understood. But come on. Everyone's opinion get's attacked by certain posters on this board. Some worse than others, (cough dixahu cough) and nothings happens. I post a gif of the Mr. Roger's letting someone know they're number 1 and the post gets deleted.
I understand that at times it might appear nothing is happening, but please keep in mind that mods don't see every post and often we're only made aware of posts that are the more egregious or include visual elements that run afoul of the rules rather than reading every individual opinion on the board. The report feature is our biggest help in locating posts that need attention, and when no one reports a post it can go unseen. Additionally, many of the mods, as well as myself, reach out to posters behind the scenes and play mediator so as not to continue making the issues public. Also, I and most of the mods have been out of town for Thanksgiving break, so a loss like this at the end of the season really has our short staff scrambling between dealing with reports, PMs from upset members, new member approvals and vetting, and a solid amount of emails in our support inbox. I realize that all sounds like excuses, and it is, but while we want people to be free to post their opinions on the staff (even ours), the season, and personnel changes moving forward, we really do try to continue applying the board rules while weighing the legitimacy and the amount of venting we allow to continue publicly.

Cfrog1985

Ticket Exchange Pass
Offense isn’t perfect but it’s not bad and had 3 returning starters. Defense is TERRIBLE and had 7 returning starters. Newton a supposed elite corner for roasted several times.

Defense is broken and can’t recruit looking like that. We need a change and it’s disturbing he still hasn’t announced it. If I ever failed at my job that bad [ Finebaum ] I would quit and do the company a favor.

Toad Jones

What gripes the hell out of me, where was the top coach when all of this was developing? It clearly was apparent if you were standing there watching practice day after day! Why weren't steps taken to change the course? Were you not proactive with the players asking questions? How can we help on a one-on-one with your guys? Hellfire, be proactive with players, coaches, and alinement: change/alter personnel. What is this a good ol boy staff and won't make changes? But..we didn't have the right personnel?! Why not? You're the boss, you were hired to lead and oversee the whole program, and you certainly don't go around talking roses.. Talk about flowers, then weeds! If you don't have the right personnel, then why operate a failing dept in the first place? Again, where is the leadership, the commander? I hope this is not a picture of things to come.

Comments from everyone, this is a business with a budget in the millions. Then run it as a profit-making organization. It appears to me the staff thought we were a top-notch team, and we'll sit back and enjoy with little attention to the little things that make a complete organization.

I'm sorry for the rant. It's been building for some time.

Bruce Berry

What gripes the hell out of me, where was the top coach when all of this was developing? It clearly was apparent if you were standing there watching practice day after day! Why weren't steps taken to change the course? Were you not proactive with the players asking questions? How can we help on a one-on-one with your guys? Hellfire, be proactive with players, coaches, and alinement: change/alter personnel. What is this a good ol boy staff and won't make changes? But..we didn't have the right personnel?! Why not? You're the boss, you were hired to lead and oversee the whole program, and you certainly don't go around talking roses.. Talk about flowers, then weeds! If you don't have the right personnel, then why operate a failing dept in the first place? Again, where is the leadership, the commander? I hope this is not a picture of things to come.

Comments from everyone, this is a business with a budget in the millions. Then run it as a profit-making organization. It appears to me the staff thought we were a top-notch team, and we'll sit back and enjoy with little attention to the little things that make a complete organization.

Not sure I get all the horticulture analogies but this post raises a very valid question.

BelPTex

On that note, my OU son (who understands football as an overachieving offensive lineman) commented that the Frogs looked they were in a base defense the entire game. No looks, no attempts to confuse. He also stated the obvious, that the lack of pressure means four or five guys have to cover for over five seconds. Won’t happen.
Yes. There were only a couple times when more than three rushed, and while those results were effective, the Frogs immediately returned to their static 3-3-5. I watched a lot of football over the weekend and saw no team play a defensive front like TCU does. As Coach Chris Petersen said yesterday on Fox, "It's always pressure over coverage." The Auburn - Alabama game was a perfect example of that. Rushing only two linemen gave the Alabama QB all the time he wanted to carefully select one of his 5 receivers in the end zone being frantically covered by 8 defenders. Pass completed to back corner of the end zone. TD! Crimson Tide wins, avoiding an upset, in part due to an accommodating defense from their rivals. Great effort by Alabama. Inexcusable for Auburn.

Dogfrog

How did it take this long for me to figure out that Frogball is one of the worst posters on the board? Did he used to be reasonable and then got broken by the Briles hire? Or was it the Sonny hire? Or has he always been awful?
Maybe unfair but I always look at when they joined here. A couple of really angry posters joined in late ‘21 around the time Dykes was being considered and hired. Any connection? Who knows. When it is incessantly bellicose, I go the ignore route.

Wexahu

Maybe unfair but I always look at when they joined here. A couple of really angry posters joined in late ‘21 around the time Dykes was being considered and hired. Any connection? Who knows. When it is incessantly bellicose, I go the ignore route.
And they were nonexistent last year. Wonder why?

Nothing is more annoying on here than those that act like they know more about football than coaches who have been in the game for decades. And know more about hiring coaches than those that actually know the landscape and have to do it. Some criticism is warranted at times, these guys make a lot of money, but when idiots pretend like they know everyone’s “ceiling” and outright know what’s gonna happen and show up after a year like this with a bunch of I told you so’s, give me a freaking break. When it’s the other way around they disappear.

82 Frog Fever

Yes. There were only a couple times when more than three rushed, and while those results were effective, the Frogs immediately returned to their static 3-3-5. I watched a lot of football over the weekend and saw no team play a defensive front like TCU does. As Coach Chris Petersen said yesterday on Fox, "It's always pressure over coverage." The Auburn - Alabama game was a perfect example of that. Rushing only two linemen gave the Alabama QB all the time he wanted to carefully select one of his 5 receivers in the end zone being frantically covered by 8 defenders. Pass completed to back corner of the end zone. TD! Crimson Tide wins, avoiding an upset, in part due to an accommodating defense from their rivals. Great effort by Alabama. Inexcusable for Auburn.
Yes, it’s one of the early 3 pillars of success used by coaches like Halas and Madden.
Run the ball, stop the run, pressure the QB.

Chongo94

He’s said all year that we’ve practiced well…..do with that what you will.