• The KillerFrogs

Coach Dykes' Post Game Comments RE: Coordinators

An-Cap Frog

I'm not a Briles fan by any means, but the issues with this team do not center around the offense.

Defense needs a complete rethink or an amazing portal/recruiting push.

Special teams needs to stop being "special."

We need leaders early on in the season, and a locker room that isn't a complete mess.

Right now I blame our DC, HC, and Position Coaches before Briles. Sure I'd be a lot happier had we not gone to the dark side by hiring the spawn of Art, but at the moment he's far down the list of concerns.
There are definite red zone issues...but I agree with the above.

I'm not a Briles fan by any means, but the issues with this team do not center around the offense.

Defense needs a complete rethink or an amazing portal/recruiting push.

Special teams needs to stop being "special."

We need leaders early on in the season, and a locker room that isn't a complete mess.

Right now I blame our DC, HC, and Position Coaches before Briles. Sure I'd be a lot happier had we not gone to the dark side by hiring the spawn of Art, but at the moment he's far down the list of concerns.
I had not heard that the locker room was a complete mess. I assume the towels were picked up, so can you explain what the mess was? That is a big concern, especially considering good locker room chemistry due to the new coaching staff was considered a big part of the success the previous season, I thought.

Last edited:

06DallasFrog

I had not heard that the locker room was a complete mess. I assume the towels were picked up, so can you explain what the mess was? That is a big concern, especially considering the locker room chemistry was considered a big part of the success the previous season, I thought.
I have to agree that locker room chemistry is a big concern, because it seems like that the players should be focusing on the game and not science except when they're in science class unless they are working on a way to become mutant players like the incredible hulk. He could probably be very effective on a football field... *hehehehehe*. I love fake Jason Kidd.

Frog-in-law1995

Not really sure where to put this, but just looked up Sagarin ratings and noticed we’re ranked as the 28th best team in the country. 1 spot behind Ok State. I guess the glass half full version of the 2023 season story is that we repaid - and then some - whatever debt we owed to karma after last season’s improbable run.

Wexahu

Not really sure where to put this, but just looked up Sagarin ratings and noticed we’re ranked as the 28th best team in the country. 1 spot behind Ok State. I guess the glass half full version of the 2023 season story is that we repaid - and then some - whatever debt we owed to karma after last season’s improbable run.
And for more context, our rating since 2016, when GP's teams started to slide.....

2016 - #49
2017 - #12
2018 - #40
2019 - #38
2020 - #24
2021 - #70
2022 - #9
2023 - #28

I know, wins and losses are really all that matter, but these computer rankings do a decent job of really revealing how "good" a team is. I suspect that #28 will drop some since we won't have another game, but I doubt it drops THAT much. This year sucked, there's no doubt about it, but it is interesting to see these numbers kind of show we might not have been THAT bad. I think in a year like this its easy to just focus on all the negatives, especially after last year. And heck, we played half the season with a QB that at the beginning of the year most of us thought wasn't even close to ready.

And FWIW, our Massey rating is #37. Not good, but not as bad as you might have thought.

Frog-in-law1995

And for more context, our rating since 2016, when GP's teams started to slide.....

2016 - #49
2017 - #12
2018 - #40
2019 - #38
2020 - #24
2021 - #70
2022 - #9
2023 - #28

I know, wins and losses are really all that matter, but these computer rankings do a decent job of really revealing how "good" a team is. I suspect that #28 will drop some since we won't have another game, but I doubt it drops THAT much. This year sucked, there's no doubt about it, but it is interesting to see these numbers kind of show we might not have been THAT bad. I think in a year like this its easy to just focus on all the negatives, especially after last year. And heck, we played half the season with a QB that at the beginning of the year most of us thought wasn't even close to ready.

And FWIW, our Massey rating is #37. Not good, but not as bad as you might have thought.
Also thought the strength of schedule metric was interesting. Sagarin clearly has the Big 12 as the toughest conference this year. 4 in the top 6 SoS rankings, plus us at 11 and OU/Kansas and 18/19. Pac was also pretty tough, looks like.

FrogBall09

13th in total offense
99th in total defense (91st last year)

You pick which needs to go...
How about option D - all of the above?
And they were nonexistent last year. Wonder why?

Nothing is more annoying on here than those that act like they know more about football than coaches who have been in the game for decades. And know more about hiring coaches than those that actually know the landscape and have to do it. Some criticism is warranted at times, these guys make a lot of money, but when idiots pretend like they know everyone’s “ceiling” and outright know what’s gonna happen and show up after a year like this with a bunch of I told you so’s, give me a freaking break. When it’s the other way around they disappear.
We pointed out our D sucked last year and Dykes hired another crappy DC - something he has done across his entire career

But guys like you told us to shut up because we were winning - despite our D

Just like you told me there was no way Dykes should be on the hot seat after Colorado and I told you it was just the beginning

CryptoMiner

How about option D - all of the above?

We pointed out our D sucked last year and Dykes hired another crappy DC - something he has done across his entire career

But guys like you told us to shut up because we were winning - despite our D

Just like you told me there was no way Dykes should be on the hot seat after Colorado and I told you it was just the beginning
I don’t think I told you anything.