• The KillerFrogs

Coach Dykes' Post Game Comments RE: Coordinators

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Dykes when asked about Gillespie: “... everything is under review. From the pregame meal to who calls the plays.”

On Briles: “... started out weak. Finished strong.”
Well, that's that. Better get used to his mediocre, half-assed offense for the next two years.

Why two? Because we're going to keep on rubbing it into the face of Donati and everybody else in a decision-making capacity that he never should have been considered in the first place, and every day he is on the payroll is a bad one. I figure it'll take two years for Donati (et al) to get sick of it and see that he moves along.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Well, that's that. Better get used to his mediocre, half-assed offense for the next two years.

Why two? Because we're going to keep on rubbing it into the face of Donati and everybody else in a decision-making capacity that he never should have been considered in the first place, and every day he is on the payroll is a bad one. I figure it'll take two years for Donati (et al) to get sick of it and see that he moves along.
Briles has had one year with a bad line, inconsistent WR play, and a change at QB to a Freshman. In the end TCU put up more points on OU than anyone else this season, and outside of a few misfires at KState and ISU I think they're on the right track. I'm willing to give Briles one more year, even though I was not happy with his initial hire.

Limey Frog

Gillespie needs to go. Briles did enough to get himself another year at least and you can believe our offensive woes have been inexperience. The defense is just a trainwreck.

I'm not optimistic about Briles but I also don't think there's enough obvious to point to in letting him go. What are you pointing to to justify keeping Gillespie?

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Briles has had one year with a bad line, inconsistent WR play, and a change at QB to a Freshman. In the end TCU put up more points on OU than anyone else this season, and outside of a few misfires at KState and ISU I think they're on the right track. I'm willing to give Briles one more year, even though I was not happy with his initial hire.
In my eyes, he is responsible for all of those variables, save the injury to Morris, which even Stevie Wonder saw coming. I don't know that the players had that much confidence in him as the season progressed and schemes and plans repeatedly failed.

While we scored points, the game was never really in doubt. I don't really consider the final score indicative of OU playing lockdown football and being beat, but more playing within themselves and letting the clock drain away. Even with that, it was shown that we have talent and speed that only comes out in the throes of desperation, when it will no longer help us. Just a shameful, lost season.

Edit: I forgot to add, I'll have some brown likker for you...

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The offense has some things to fix. The defense needs an overhaul beginning with a new DC.

82 Frog Fever

I don't think anyone expected us to score close to 40 points in this game, and when your offense puts up 45 you should be able to win. This was the second 40+ point offensive game TCU lost this season.
A good portion of the 2nd half was garbage time for OU. They weren‘t playing with 1/2 the intensity that they had in the 1st half. It looked like OU was able to flip the switch off & on at will against TCU.
It’s not a good measuring stick for anything.

Briles had serious talent & depth issues at OL, QB, & RB that greatly limited what the offense could do.
He was unable to mitigate most of these issues, as we were in the CFP and not able to focus on the portal. I credit Briles with at least trying different wrinkles to make it work better.

Gillespie also had big talent issues at DL and he didn’t really have LBers that had the ability to move to the front line and stunt rush with the DL. He said he made changes, but I really didn’t see them much.
I just don’t think Gillespie has the ability to get the players he needs to properly execute a 3 man front, and he also doesn’t have the experience/knowledge to run anything else.
Gillespie needs to be moved out.

Putt4Purple

Just listened. He could have easily said nothing .. his comments made me think that one of them is gone. Who knows? Just a feeling though.

In retrospect, he's not wrong. One side of the ball improved in some areas (with a RFR and with WR's being injured) while another one didn't.

Just my thoughts.
This. You win championships with defense. Offenses fluctuate and can still produce enough to win but the defense is what needs to be stable every game. So embarrassing! I hope Dykes is the coach we all hope for and makes good smart business decisions without emotional ties to his subordinate coaches. Unlike a good former coach who could not do that very task. Go Frogs!

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
A good portion of the 2nd half was garbage time for OU. They weren‘t playing with 1/2 the intensity that they had in the 1st half. It looked like OU was able to flip the switch off & on at will against TCU.
It’s not a good measuring stick for anything.

Briles had serious talent & depth issues at OL, QB, & RB that greatly limited what the offense could do.
He was unable to mitigate most of these issues, as we were in the CFP and not able to focus on the portal. I credit Briles with at least trying different wrinkles to make it work better.

Gillespie also had big talent issues at DL and he didn’t really have LBers that had the ability to move to the front line and stunt rush with the DL. He said he made changes, but I really didn’t see them much.
I just don’t think Gillespie has the ability to get the players he needs to properly execute a 3 man front, and he also doesn’t have the experience/knowledge to run anything else.
Gillespie needs to be moved out.
Unless there are some miracles performed, talent levels next year will be no different if not much worse next year.