• The KillerFrogs

BSB: Friday 2/16 Game Thread - #3 TCU at Grand Canyon

TCURiggs

wouldn't mind Landestoy playing first permanently

Other than the face-ball, I wasn't mad at Luken at 1B. He made a nice dig earlier in the game. Having said that, I have no clue what our DH options look like. From what I've heard, Schloss really doesn't either at this point.

LisaLT

Woo hooooooo! So happy we won our opener! Been watching the Olympics. Nathan Chan really screwed up on his short program;(((

PO Frog

Other than the face-ball, I wasn't mad at Luken at 1B. He mad a nice dig earlier in the game. Having said that, I have no clue what our DH options look like. From what I've heard, Schloss really doesn't either at this point.
I don't think Baker makes that last play and I'm certain CW doesn't. If our offense is going to struggle again then we may as well stay strong with pitching and D. And Landy is due - had more hard hit balls get caught than anyone I can remember.

OmniscienceFrog

D1baseball.com now charges $9.99 just to look at the scoreboard on their page. BOOOOOOOOOO
And they'll get a bunch of subscriptions because there are no other halfway credible sites to find scores. It's nearly 2 am and the NCAA site still shows no scores for half of the BIG 12 teams' games on Friday.

https://www.ncaa.com/scoreboard/baseball/d1/big-12

ESPN doesn't even know what college baseball is, until late May.

Moose Stuff

Easily the game of the year so far.

Was at Arkansas yesterday. They have an old dude who sits down the first base line who constantly gets after the umps. Second pitch of the game is called a ball and he yells “let’s go blue!!! That hasn’t been a ball all year!!!”. I laughed.

They are VERY good by the way.

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

So I have an honest question from the guys who know a lot about baseball and our offensive approach and our coaching.

I realize it was 1 game - however this game looked very similar to the games last year where we literally just waited out their starter and made our big move against the bullpen.

I know their starter is a big time prospect and all that - so it plays into the trend obviously of not hitting him but this time maybe because he was just plain good.

But JJ is no slouch either and GCU game out swinging for a fast start and we came out slow like we did last year in a majority of the games.

Is there any correlation to the way TCU starts and our hitting philosophy (approach at the plate) or the way we "work" on hitting in practice (technique)?

Or do we just seem to get the best out of most teams starters?

Or are we just an average hitting team and need to wait until average pitching (either through fatigue in starters or less talented bullpen) show up to make hay?

Loved how the freshman came to play - not everything worked out for them but they sure showed some heart for their first D1 game.

Moose Stuff

I don't think Baker makes that last play and I'm certain CW doesn't. If our offense is going to struggle again then we may as well stay strong with pitching and D. And Landy is due - had more hard hit balls get caught than anyone I can remember.

Luken would have caught that. That’s a routine pop up. He’s way better than this board gives him credit for. And Landestoy is the opposite. Once again, there is a reason he doesn’t start.

So I have an honest question from the guys who know a lot about baseball and our offensive approach and our coaching.

I realize it was 1 game - however this game looked very similar to the games last year where we literally just waited out their starter and made our big move against the bullpen.

I know their starter is a big time prospect and all that - so it plays into the trend obviously of not hitting him but this time maybe because he was just plain good.

But JJ is no slouch either and GCU game out swinging for a fast start and we came out slow like we did last year in a majority of the games.

Is there any correlation to the way TCU starts and our hitting philosophy (approach at the plate) or the way we "work" on hitting in practice (technique)?

Or do we just seem to get the best out of most teams starters?

Or are we just an average hitting team and need to wait until average pitching (either through fatigue in starters or less talented bullpen) show up to make hay?

Loved how the freshman came to play - not everything worked out for them but they sure showed some heart for their first D1 game.

I think a good part of it is that we get everyone's best effort. Winning against us earns you a lot of respect. TCU doesn't waste games. It's a big confidence builder for anyone to beat us over the last handful of years. I almost felt bad for GCU. Even if they only won 1 of 3, a win last night would have been a signature moment for the program. They'll still have their moments and, who knows, they might come out swinging today and win by 10, but a win last night in a pitchers dual against one of the best arms in the country would have been huge for them. It almost had a post-season type feel to it.

I think the other part is just scouting and trying to figure out a way to get to the pitcher. Moose can talk more about it, but you can have your plate philosophy but you also have to know who's throwing to you and adjust accordingly. You can have a philosophy to get deep into counts but if a guy has great command and is painting the corners early you have to be more aggressive and at least put the thought in his head that if he barely misses he's getting a line drive back over his head.