• The KillerFrogs

Bowls Thread

Wexahu

and I also think Ohio State and one or two others could've probably won one of these playoff games on any given day. I think an eight team playoff would tell more of a story/be more fair, and the way this is playing out isn't going to help us to get to that.

I don't disagree, but I don't think the playoffs should necessarily include all the teams that "could" win a playoff game. You do that, you start minimizing what is the greatest regular season in all of sports. Alabama "could" probably win a playoff game every single year, but they still have to play their way in via the regular season, and that's a good thing.

I'm not saying an 8-team playoff would be a bad idea, but when I'm watching these games I don't really look at the teams that were #5-8 in the rankings (Wisconsin, Auburn, Ohio State, and USC) and think it's too bad those teams didn't get a chance. I don't think Wisconsin or USC would beat any of these teams if both had a 3 weeks to prepare and Auburn and Ohio State kind of had their chances to make a statement earlier this year and crapped the bed. That's the way it goes. Basically, I think even with just an 8-team playoff there'd be a pretty high risk that a couple of those 1st round matchups wouldn't be all that compelling in a lot of years. I think the system in place, while not perfect, isn't bad.

Wexahu

I don't disagree, but I don't think the playoffs should necessarily include all the teams that "could" win a playoff game. You do that, you start minimizing what is the greatest regular season in all of sports. Alabama "could" probably win a playoff game every single year, but they still have to play their way in via the regular season, and that's a good thing.

I'm not saying an 8-team playoff would be a bad idea, but when I'm watching these games I don't really look at the teams that were #5-8 in the rankings (Wisconsin, Auburn, Ohio State, and USC) and think it's too bad those teams didn't get a chance. I don't think Wisconsin or USC would beat any of these teams if both had a 3 weeks to prepare and Auburn and Ohio State kind of had their chances to make a statement earlier this year and crapped the bed. That's the way it goes. Basically, I think even with just an 8-team playoff there'd be a pretty high risk that a couple of those 1st round matchups wouldn't be all that compelling in a lot of years. I think the system in place, while not perfect, isn't bad.

And for those people that hate Alabama and is tired of them (me being one of them), increasing the playoffs to 8 teams would only increase Alabama's odds of winning the title. It's hard enough to keep them out of the 4-team playoff, imagine how hard it would be if it expands to 8? And once they get in, they are probably going to be the favorite more often than not, because they almost always have what is considered the best team. Let's face it, they are damn hard to beat (although I know this only applies to the Saban years and it won't last forever....the point remains, expanding the playoffs will only serve to give the very best teams another mulligan, a mulligan in which it is in everyone else's interest they don't get.)

TCURiggs

I think we're splitting hairs here. Sounds like we both think it should be more than four, and I'd prefer that the SEC just automatically doesn't get the benefit of the doubt amongst those four. I don't know the best format for that, but I don't like the current one.

netty2424

And for those people that hate Alabama and is tired of them (me being one of them), increasing the playoffs to 8 teams would only increase Alabama's odds of winning the title. It's hard enough to keep them out of the 4-team playoff, imagine how hard it would be if it expands to 8? And once they get in, they are probably going to be the favorite more often than not, because they almost always have what is considered the best team. Let's face it, they are damn hard to beat (although I know this only applies to the Saban years and it won't last forever....the point remains, expanding the playoffs will only serve to give the very best teams another mulligan, a mulligan in which it is in everyone else's interest they don't get.)
I'd be ok with Bama winning it every year if they ran through the tournament and won it without "help" getting in. That's the deal, tournaments wipe the slate, match em up, and see who comes out on the other side.

A 5,6,7,8 may get hot and knock someone off in the first round. But the likelihood of winning 3 games in a row with the "top teams" in the country is slim, unless you're the best team in college football.

Just want the best to win it. That's it. You'll never know when there are teams that if given a shot could win it all, but are left out. If they suck, they lose. End of story.

Wexahu

I'd be ok with Bama winning it every year if they ran through the tournament and won it without "help" getting in.

Just want the best to win it. That's it. You'll never know when there are teams that if given a shot could win it all, but are left out. If they suck, they lose. End of story.

Every team does have a shot though. Every team that Alabama got in ahead of lost TWICE. They shouldn't have done that if they wanted to win it all. Alabama didn't get any more help getting in than anyone else did.

Whether a playoff is 2, 4, 8, 16 or 32 teams, there are always going to be teams that are left out that you could say were not given a shot.