• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

froginaustin

But Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz (from Fredericksburg) was on the Board of Regents at Cal for 8 years, was on the faculty there years before, and was honored in 1964 on Adm Nimitz day. So they didn't always hate the military. Cal Berkley still has a Navy ROTC program, which was one of the first 6 in the country.

There may be a few snotty liberal arts majors and campus hangers on (UTx used to have some of these) that hate the military and “the man” at Cal.

But the military, NASA, and the US Energy Department sure love them some physicists and engineers at Cal. I suspect those Cal folks love them back.

froginaustin

But Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz (from Fredericksburg) was on the Board of Regents at Cal for 8 years, was on the faculty there years before, and was honored in 1964 on Adm Nimitz day. So they didn't always hate the military. Cal Berkley still has a Navy ROTC program, which was one of the first 6 in the country.

FWIW, Fredericksburg’s Nimitz Museum on the War in the Pacific is neat. Worth a visit along with the area wineries. The museum became a Smithsonian branch not too long ago. I enjoyed the Nimitz museum.

Final Apple offer details, from public reports and general scuttlebutt I trust:

- $25mm AAV for 12 members over 5 years, but it was scaled and the early years were much lower. Think $20mm per in year 1.

- There was a mutual termination option after year 3. This was meant to protect Apple, who might bail on live sports, and appease OR/WA who might have stayed for an ultra short deal.

- There was a revenue share provision that scaled up revenue after core costs were covered. They would have needed 1.7 million post paid annual subs to hit $31.7 AAV by the mid point of the deal.

- There was no guarantee of any linear games. Apple was only offering to simulcast, not sub license.

- One of Apples main selling points was to pay for production costs, including producing some of the games using their new camera technology that’s core to their new headset, Vision Pro. They’ve tested it with MLS and MLB, pretty interesting. Think of it like the ultimate sideline view. I’m confident the broadcast would have been uniquely beautiful, but if nobody is watching…

- Apple walked at the last hour. They were engaged that final week, including increasing their offer at least once, but were tired of the leaks and felt like they were being strung along. By the Friday morning call, their offer was off the table.

- GK tried to put together a linear package at the last hour at the Presidents direction. WBD Sports was the key player, and would have moved much of the PAC content to Max streaming along with TNT and TBS. The CW probably would have had a package too, think Friday night low level game. He didn’t have enough time to get the details together, and I’m not confident the value would have been higher than Apples offer.

At the end of the day, the Presidents weren’t going to do an all streaming deal, something GK never fully understood. He also never got the deal value up high enough, and given that MLS is only at 800k post paid subs after a year with Messi and a global audience the truth is it was a [ Finebaum ] deal.

Boomhauer

- $25mm AAV for 12 members over 5 years, but it was scaled and the early years were much lower. Think $20mm per in year 1.

- There was a mutual termination option after year 3. This was meant to protect Apple, who might bail on live sports, and appease OR/WA who might have stayed for an ultra short deal.

- There was a revenue share provision that scaled up revenue after core costs were covered. They would have needed 1.7 million post paid annual subs to hit $31.7 AAV by the mid point of the deal.

- There was no guarantee of any linear games. Apple was only offering to simulcast, not sub license.

- One of Apples main selling points was to pay for production costs, including producing some of the games using their new camera technology that’s core to their new headset, Vision Pro. They’ve tested it with MLS and MLB, pretty interesting. Think of it like the ultimate sideline view. I’m confident the broadcast would have been uniquely beautiful, but if nobody is watching…

- Apple walked at the last hour. They were engaged that final week, including increasing their offer at least once, but were tired of the leaks and felt like they were being strung along. By the Friday morning call, their offer was off the table.

- GK tried to put together a linear package at the last hour at the Presidents direction. WBD Sports was the key player, and would have moved much of the PAC content to Max streaming along with TNT and TBS. The CW probably would have had a package too, think Friday night low level game. He didn’t have enough time to get the details together, and I’m not confident the value would have been higher than Apples offer.

At the end of the day, the Presidents weren’t going to do an all streaming deal, something GK never fully understood. He also never got the deal value up high enough, and given that MLS is only at 800k post paid subs after a year with Messi and a global audience the truth is it was a [ Finebaum ] deal.

Why did he wait till the last minute to pull together the linear deal? He had over a year to pull together the details. Yet he was scrambling last minute for info. Crazy

Last edited:

Brevity Frog

GK’s missing the point killed the conference. Wow. If the presidents had been ok with streaming (with filming techniques that sound awesome) then the details don’t sound as bad as originally aired. I actually think 1.7M was doable, given the economic demographics of the area and the grads of those schools.

Apple sounds like a rotten negotiating partner. Leaks are currency in college football. Walking from the table is an [ Arschloch] move.

East Coast

Tier 1

Thanks for this information GSR. It's fascinating.

McFroggin

Why did he wait till the last minute to pull together the linear deal? He had over a year to pull together the details. Yet he was scrambling last minute for info. Crazy

They had other linear deals in the past that were below that of Apple. They couldn’t get numbers up. This was a new pitch as a last ditch effort.

fanatical frog

How long before byu starts organizing the western schools to break away and add Cal, Stanford, WSU&OSU? Bet they're already talking about it.

We need to add Cal and Stanford eventually, but give them a few years to see what independence or the MWC is like and whether they try to be competitive or not. If not then let them die. #6 TV market in the biggest state in the country. Otherwise just give the entire state of California to the B1G.
IMHO Utah is a bigger threat to break away than Brigham Young. I confess I've been reading CougarBoard for the past 6 months or so and the posters there seem very happy to be in the B12. Utah, on the other hand came dragging in kicking and screaming.
We absolutely do not need to add either or Cal or Stanford......they add nothing and are toxic to boot.

How long before byu starts organizing the western schools to break away and add Cal, Stanford, WSU&OSU? Bet they're already talking about it.

We need to add Cal and Stanford eventually, but give them a few years to see what independence or the MWC is like and whether they try to be competitive or not. If not then let them die. #6 TV market in the biggest state in the country. Otherwise just give the entire state of California to the B1G.

I’ve heard Cal and Stanford hate BYU and blocked them from the PAC in the past. I suspect BYU would probably try to block them from joining the Big 12 as well. On the other hand, I can maybe see BYU supporting Hawaii or SDSU joining the Big 12.

06DallasFrog

I’ve heard Cal and Stanford hate BYU and blocked them from the PAC in the past. I suspect BYU would probably try to block them from joining the Big 12 as well. On the other hand, I can maybe see BYU supporting Hawaii or SDSU joining the Big 12.
1. What BYU supports is totally irrelevant.
2. Why do people continue to name schools that are garbage?
3. No moves until the ACC discontent plays out.

They also didn't want to enter into a deal with Apple that, up-front, had an option to terminate after three years.

Who would want that kind of deal? It implies that it wasn't going to work from the start.

Larry Scott really missed out when he didn't accept the Longhorn Network. They could have launched the Beaver Network, Trojan Network, Cougar Network and Bear Network (for the Cali progressives).

And they might have been able to launch some college sports networks, too. :p

froglash88

They also didn't want to enter into a deal with Apple that, up-front, had an option to terminate after three years.

Who would want that kind of deal? It implies that it wasn't going to work from the start.

Larry Scott really missed out when he didn't accept the Longhorn Network. They could have launched the Beaver Network, Trojan Network, Cougar Network and Bear Network (for the Cali progressives).

So
Did the Longhorn Network unintentionally save the B12?

Deep Purple

Neither Rice nor Tulane are in the same echelon as Stanford nor have they had much athletic success compared to Stanford. Cal maybe, but no way close to Stanford.
Correct about Tulane, but wrong about Rice. Like Stanford, Rice is always numbered among the top 15-20 schools in the country -- and there are around 2,300 four-year institutions in this country.

jack the frog

Such hubris and stupidity. When two top ten brands, one in the top recruiting state in the nation want to join you make it happen. Also, not going to overthink the Bear Network.

Endless Purple

Seems like Apple treated this like a technology negotiation and not a sports negotiation. They have some good tech, but makes me wonder how it would get implemented in a way that works for sports fans. The Apple people seemed a little clueless on that side.