• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Chongo94

Hawaii Thats Cold GIF by ION

PurplFrawg

Administrator
That’s how I feel about them. Cal used hate the military as well.
But Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz (from Fredericksburg) was on the Board of Regents at Cal for 8 years, was on the faculty there years before, and was honored in 1964 on Adm Nimitz day. So they didn't always hate the military. Cal Berkley still has a Navy ROTC program, which was one of the first 6 in the country.

My father was stationed in Alameda which is close to Berkley in the early mid 1970’s. Trust me, they really hated the military. They protested outside the base all the time. Trust me, he still hates Cal for for the extreme liberal politics and how they treated the military back then.

LisaLT

So why aren't Cal and Stanford already in the Big Ten? The Big Ten has chosen USC, UCLA, Washington, and Oregon. If they want Cal and Stanford then what are they waiting for?

Harvard and Yale are prestigious institutions. Army and Navy are prestigious albeit with a very different mission. None of them are part of a power conference. Stanford and Cal will continue to be prestigious while their athletics programs reside in an ultra watered down version of the PAC, the Mountain West, or maybe they give it a shot as an independent.

I doubt the majority of decision makers at Stanford and Cal even care what conference their football teams play in.
I disagree that the decision makers don’t care. No one knows what is happening behind closed doors now with either University. My opinion is they end up in the Big10. Time will tell.

Chongo94

That’s how I feel about them. Cal used hate the military as well. Besides, SDSU, Hawaii, and Fresno State would be less of a financial burden if the Big 12 added more western schools.
SDSU has the second largest athletic debt in the country. Cal is first. Arizona State is apparently third so I’m not sure any school these days is less or more of a financial burden.

CountryFrog

I disagree that the decision makers don’t care. No one knows what is happening behind closed doors now with either University. My opinion is they end up in the Big10. Time will tell.
This could be your 2023 version of "Kansas is legit."

Time will tell indeed but it might take a little longer than the Kansas thing to find out. I think if they're willing to join the Big 12 at a 30% or 40% revenue distribution then there's a chance they could get an invite. If the Big Ten thing happens then it'll be years from now when/if that conference expands to like 24 teams. I don't think either of those are happening though.

PurplFrawg

Administrator

My father was stationed in Alameda which is close to Berkley in the early mid 1970’s. Trust me, they really hated the military. They protested outside the base all the time. Trust me, he still hates Cal for for the extreme liberal politics and how they treated the military back then.
We (USAF Reserve) had a medical readiness exercise at UMass Amherst in the 90s. We stayed in the dorms, ate in the cafeteria, and used the classrooms for the didactic portions. We were warned not to go into town, cause they hated the military. Sure enough, one guy did, and got beat up by the locals. The irony was that the town and college were named after Lord Jeffrey Amherst, a British general who was famous for wanting to kill off all the indigenous peoples of New England and Canada by giving them blankets infected with smallpox. But we were the bad guys.

Panther City Frog

This is on top of the PAC 12 owing comcast $50mm for several years of over payments for the PAC 12 network (that was not watched). Both comcast and the pac 12 did audits last year and came to basically the same conclusion. So, I would hazard a guess that this money will be deducted this year from the payments. Going with a bang
Ouch.

Wexahu

I bet that has changed. The left isn’t opposed to wars anymore. They support them.

82 Frog Fever

It’s not that Stanford doesn’t care. It‘s Stanford won’t do the things it takes to win.

- With a 4% acceptance rate, their athletic academic policies are a roadblock.
- A nearly non-existent NIL program.
- and while schools like TCU have academic policies that allow them to pull in
15 even 20 experienced transfer players every year to reload, the most Stanford has ever accepted is 4.

They can’t compete now, and unless they do a 180, it will get much worse for Stanford.

Big Frog II

SDSU and CSU have huge debt loads for schools with limited athletic revenue. Can't believe they allowed it to get so high. Cal too is in a heap of trouble. Can't believe they didn't secure more donations before redoing their stadium.

Brevity Frog

It’s not that Stanford doesn’t care. It‘s Stanford won’t do the things it takes to win.

- With a 4% acceptance rate, their athletic academic policies are a roadblock.
- A nearly non-existent NIL program.
- and while schools like TCU have academic policies that allow them to pull in
15 even 20 experienced transfer players every year to reload, the most Stanford has ever accepted is 4.

They can’t compete now, and unless they do a 180, it will get much worse for Stanford.
Y’all have changed my mind. No Stanford. No Cal.

82 Frog Fever

SDSU and CSU have huge debt loads for schools with limited athletic revenue. Can't believe they allowed it to get so high. Cal too is in a heap of trouble. Can't believe they didn't secure more donations before redoing their stadium.
Believe it or not, UW was in serious trouble. Their University debt must be rolled over in ‘24, and their outrageous athletics spending was running at $7m annual deficits, and their stadium debt payments increase by $18m in 2026.
Nobody was ever going to roll over that monstrous debt.

Enter the B10 to fix everything, now they have a minimum $40m revenue stream.
Washington was extremely nervous over the month.