• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

82 Frog Fever

BYU happy because it’s a clear step up to the big time for them. Utah fans unhappy because they bought into the PAC superiority that was really a mirage. Utah fans are hurt that they are back in the same conference with hated rival BYU (imagine how we would feel if SMU joined us). Historically Utah beat BYU 22 straight times starting in 1898 so all time numbers don’t look good. But BYU won a natty in 1984 and did beat Utah last time they played in 2021.
It’s more than that BYU is very proud about being a member of the B12. Their fans, coaches, and players actually brag about it.

The only way to view the UU v. BYU rivalry is during the time periods in which they were on equal footing in the same conference.
Utah led the MWest series 7-5
BYU led the WAC series 24-13
They are extremely competitive when equals.
A great rivalry, and one will take out the other every year.

Utah will get acclimated to the B12. Heck, we have more AAU schools than the PAC.

Last edited:

HG73

I have been pushing for Stanford and Cal to the BigXVI (our new conference name). But obviously they don't bring enough $$. Their attendance sucks (#9 and #10 in the PAC, they draw in the 30s). Stanford has NO NIL program, Cal has more athletic debt than anyone else in the country. They have just quit trying in sports. But most importantly, if the TV suits wanted them here then they would be here. Obviously they don't bring enough eyeballs in the #6 TV market in the country. Good riddance. Go woke and go broke.

Will be interesting to see if either of them even makes the slightest effort at relevance in athletics. If not, via con Dios you godless jerks.

I have been pushing for Stanford and Cal to the BigXVI (our new conference name). But obviously they don't bring enough $$. Their attendance sucks (#9 and #10 in the PAC, they draw in the 30s). Stanford has NO NIL program, Cal has more athletic debt than anyone else in the country. They have just quit trying in sports. But most importantly, if the TV suits wanted them here then they would be here. Obviously they don't bring enough eyeballs in the #6 TV market in the country. Good riddance. Go woke and go broke.

Will be interesting to see if either of them even makes the slightest effort at relevance in athletics. If not, via con Dios you godless jerks.
You are on to something here. Probably should downgrade to FCS and move their Olympic programs somewhere competitive. (Perhaps even independent.)

Regardless, still gonna suck for the Olympic programs at Stanford and Cal. Stanford produces more Olympians than any other college/uni and Cal is a close fourth (with USC and UCLA at #2 and #3, respectively). Shoot, maybe even USC and UCLA will tank their Olympic programs, too. The facilities in the BIG/Mountain West are no where near what those schools presently have access to.

Eight

Feels like you're arguing just to argue. How does having divisions make it more likely to have teams win their way in?

There's no perfect way once you can't have even schedules like B12 did until now.

You either have unequal divisions like the B1G has (and some crummy "championship" games) or you have a free for all with unequal schedules and the two teams with the best records get in.

Unless you're proposing that we start a conference playoff in week 9... which is also fraught with issues like scheduling, locations, etc.

sorry, read the reply but wasn't where i could reply and couldn't find it

for me, the pods are proposed for one as a way to address the unequal divisions, but i think it is a poor choice to resolve a problem partly caused by not balancing the divisions which could be done

when haven't michigan and ohio state been dominate in the big 10, there have been other teams who made a run, but consistently they are the two programs

you place them in with each other for geographic reasons and to keep the rivalry game so what did they expect

then you have a situation like the sec where the easiest way to address adding ou and texas is move the two most eastern schools in the west to the east which would be bama and auburn and there we have our answer why that won't happen

so they come up with the pod systems that really don't address the scheduling issues

consider the 2024 collection of 16 big 12 teams which would easily make 2 eight team divisions. you play everyone in your division and then 2 games from the other division with a rotation through those other 8 teams and before anyone says anything i know that means we don't get to see all 16 that often, too bad, this is about a consistent system that picks two winners for the conference title game that from what i understand isn't going away

in the pods my understanding is you and 3 other teams play each other, then you get paired against another pod (which i presume would be the same pod for the other 3 members of your pod) and then two others

if all 16 teams are in one table how does playing a hodge podge mix of games fix the issue of making sure you get the two best teams at the top of the table at the end of the year?

82 Frog Fever

It’s a crazy difference in philosophies.
Take CU for instance. Late last year Deion was able to persuade CU to change their transfer policy toward accepting many more college transfer credits than they have been. That one simple change allowed Deion to turn over CU’s entire roster and make big improvements in the overall talent level in a single year.

That change never even made it to a vote at Stanford and 4 transfers signed.

Eight

Ain't nothing wrong with country roads.

dHJpY3RlZC5naWY.gif

LmdpZg.gif

CountryFrog

sorry, read the reply but wasn't where i could reply and couldn't find it

for me, the pods are proposed for one as a way to address the unequal divisions, but i think it is a poor choice to resolve a problem partly caused by not balancing the divisions which could be done

when haven't michigan and ohio state been dominate in the big 10, there have been other teams who made a run, but consistently they are the two programs

you place them in with each other for geographic reasons and to keep the rivalry game so what did they expect

then you have a situation like the sec where the easiest way to address adding ou and texas is move the two most eastern schools in the west to the east which would be bama and auburn and there we have our answer why that won't happen

so they come up with the pod systems that really don't address the scheduling issues

consider the 2024 collection of 16 big 12 teams which would easily make 2 eight team divisions. you play everyone in your division and then 2 games from the other division with a rotation through those other 8 teams and before anyone says anything i know that means we don't get to see all 16 that often, too bad, this is about a consistent system that picks two winners for the conference title game that from what i understand isn't going away

in the pods my understanding is you and 3 other teams play each other, then you get paired against another pod (which i presume would be the same pod for the other 3 members of your pod) and then two others

if all 16 teams are in one table how does playing a hodge podge mix of games fix the issue of making sure you get the two best teams at the top of the table at the end of the year?
Also, I see no reason why any conference that chooses to use divisions has to lock themselves into those divisions for life. You can initially setup the divisions with the intent of balancing both competition and geography as much as possible but also make it known that the divisions will be re-evaluated every 4-5 years. So then if one gets way out of wack then you can shuffle things around. Or just shuffle anyway so that you don't have schools going 10 years without playing other members of their conference.

I'm not saying this on defense of the divisions format. It seems conferences are starting to move away from divisions. As you've pointed out that brings some problems too. But I just think you can still do divisions in a way that avoids some of the issues with scheduling and imbalance that we've seen in the BIG, SEC, and ACC.