• The KillerFrogs

BASEBALL: #2 TCU at #6 Texas Tech - Saturday Game Thread

Deep Purple

I hate that the batter is out in that sitch. Pretty stupid part of the rule, IMO. Just send the runner back and maybe call the pitch a strike. 9 times out of 10 it's gonna be unintentional.
Intention really doesn't enter into it. Just like when a coverage guy overruns the play and collides with a return man who signaled fair catch. It's still an infraction.

The batter probably didn't intend to step across the plate, but he did, and Skoug tripped over him while trying to throw to second. So it's interference, whether intentional or not. That's the rule. If you're going to play the game, you have to put on your big-boy pants and live by the rules. When you cross the line, whether intentionally or by accident, you have to man-up and pay the price.

Pharm Frog

OU takes game 2 at WVU. Rubber match tomorrow.

I cannot believe how OU tried to screw up that 9th inning from the bench. Actually I do believe it but those were eternities between pitches. Look....look.....look into the dugout. Study my wristband for a while. Drop some signs. Drop some more signs. Review my wristband again to make sure I dropped the right signs. Get ready to pitch. Got to be self-defeating behavior.

frognutz

I guess ESPN is losing todays UT/OSU game as well. Bad day to double down on Big 12 baseball. Meanwhile, I put down a bunch of fertilizer and not a drop for me in Dallas.

PurplePutt

This is very disappointing.

Update: will resume at 11 tomorrow. Probably trying to still make that 2 pm window for game 3 on ESPN2.

Yep, pisses me off. But Gingery is likely done with 64. Doubt they would throw him tomorrow. Traver was going to be done after the 3rd too. I'm thinking that would be an advantage for TCU. Will just have to listen to KTCU.

PO Frog

Think we scored by getting away with Traver while not in top form and presumably being done with Gingery too. Win/win IMO. Be nice to hang Gingery with his first L too.

Punter1

Yep, pisses me off. But Gingery is likely done with 64. Doubt they would throw him tomorrow. Traver was going to be done after the 3rd too. I'm thinking that would be an advantage for TCU. Will just have to listen to KTCU.

Burning Gingery is worth this rainout...no way he comes back tomorrow. Our pen vs theirs...ill take that anyday.

froginmn

Intention really doesn't enter into it. Just like when a coverage guy overruns the play and collides with a return man who signaled fair catch. It's still an infraction.

The batter probably didn't intend to step across the plate, but he did, and Skoug tripped over him while trying to throw to second. So it's interference, whether intentional or not. That's the rule. If you're going to play the game, you have to put on your big-boy pants and live by the rules. When you cross the line, whether intentionally or by accident, you have to man-up and pay the price.

Intent absolutely can enter into the call, depending upon where the throw is going. If it's just a throw back to the pitcher, intent enters in.

Pharm Frog

Intent absolutely can enter into the call, depending upon where the throw is going. If it's just a throw back to the pitcher, intent enters in.

I do not believe the word "intent" is found in that rule but it is the ump's judgment as to whether the movement or location of the batter hindered (interfered) with catcher making a play. A return toss to the pitcher would not be a "play"

Deep Purple

Wrong. A throw back to the pitcher isn't interference because it's just a ball return, not a throw to make a play. Only a throw to a base to prevent a runner from advancing can be interference. And intent absolutely doesn't enter into it, no more than it does on a pass interference call in football. Interference is interference.

There's no "Oh, but I didn't mean to." "Oh, okay. Well, we'll overlook that one then."

Just doesn't work that way.

froginmn

Wrong. A throw back to the pitcher isn't interference because it's just a ball return, not a throw to make a play. Only a throw to a base to prevent a runner from advancing can be interference. And intent absolutely doesn't enter into it, no more than it does on a pass interference call in football. Interference is interference.

There's no "Oh, but I didn't mean to." "Oh, okay. Well, we'll overlook that one then."

Just doesn't work that way.
3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu.gif

I don't understand why you so consistently have to act like such a [ profanity ].

Here's the rule:

(A batter is out when: )

f. The batter intentionally or unintentionally interferes with the catcher’s fielding or throwing by stepping out of the batter’s box or making any other movement that hinders a defensive player’s action at home plate;

A.R. 1 A batter’s actions must be intentional for there to be interference during a catcher’s return throw to the pitcher.

It DOES work that way, because a batter can intentionally interfere with a throwback, which could cause the ball to get loose and allow a runner to advance.

PO Frog

3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu.gif

I don't understand why you so consistently have to act like such a [ profanity ].

Here's the rule:

f. The batter intentionally or unintentionally interferes with the catcher’s fielding or throwing by stepping out of the batter’s box or making any other movement that hinders a defensive player’s action at home plate;

A.R. 1 A batter’s actions must be intentional for there to be interference during a catcher’s return throw to the pitcher.

It DOES work that way, because a batter can intentionally interfere with a throwback, which could cause the ball to get loose and allow a runner to advance.

Can't wait to see Deep doublespeak his way around this

PO Frog

Can't wait to see Deep doublespeak his way around this
3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu.gif

Here's the rule:

Liked for wrong.gif