• The KillerFrogs

Art Briles' biography is coming out soon

Pretty sure much of the book is about his dominace at Stephenville back in the day. He's a Texas HS coaching legend no doubt, but college not so much. The job he's done at BU is remarkable though.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
FTWCrossYourMind said:
Pretty sure much of the book is about his dominace at Stephenville back in the day. He's a Texas HS coaching legend no doubt, but college not so much.

you can say that again...

tcumaniac said:

Didn't ever know this.... What a sad deal. Breaks my heart for him.

With that said.... he's still an epic doosh
Seriously, how is he an "epic doosh?"

Remarks like that remind me of all the Baylor and Tech fans who hate on Patterson for no reason other than he is successful and is a threat to their school.

Be above it.

tcumaniac

gohornedfrogs said:
Seriously, how is he an "epic doosh?"

Remarks like that remind me of all the Baylor and Tech fans who hate on Patterson for no reason other than he is successful and is a threat to their school.

Be above it.
Every word I've ever heard come out of his mouth is doosh material. I am just not a fan of him, RG3, or any other Baylor punk.

froginaustin said:

If you meant to say it wouldn't surprise you to see UTx make a run at Briles, I must respectfully disagree.  He's not their type, not even close.  Starting with, he hasn't won nearly enough.  Moving on to, he's not the corporate or celebrity smoozer type that UTx peeps (not necessarily serious football fans; movers and shakers whose opinions count on that campus) expect.

Patterson wins plenty, in the UTx world view.  But he, too, lacks the sort of meet-and-greet appeal that UTx will hire.

Either Patterson or Briles would have to have a personality transplant to be hired as a head coach at UTx.  Or UTx would, and that's not likely.
I've been led to believe there's a growing number of people in burnt orange land who want the anti-Mack Brown.

HoustonVeer

FTWCrossYourMind said:
The job he's done at BU is remarkable though.

Did a nice job at Houston too.  We had been to 1 bowl game in 6 years.  He took us to 4 bowls in 5 years.  Won a conference title.

That said, it wasn't all wine & roses.  He rarely beat anyone worth a damn.  He was 28-3 against teams with losing records, and 6-25 against teams with winning records.  0-fer in bowl games.  0-fer against ranked teams.  

We were one dimensional - if we scored 30+, we had a good chance to win.  Our defense was never good enough to win low scoring games.  Also, he sucked at special teams, and our team discipline was bad (in terms of personal fouls, etc.)  

He could recruit QBs.  Kevin Kolb, Case Keenum and Robert Griffin all committed to Houston under Briles.  

I thought Briles could get Baylor to a 7-5 level in the Big 12, but I thought he would continue to struggle to beat good teams while feasting on poor teams.  The victories over ranked teams in 2012 and 2013 (including #1 Kansas St) proved me wrong.  Looks like he's gotten over the hump.  

With the new stadium they are building, he'll probably win 80 games at Baylor over the next 10 years and have several teams finish in the Top 25.  Ride off into the sunset at age 67 with $20M in the bank, 165 HS wins in 16 seasons, and 150 college wins in 20 seasons.  

Latest posts