• The KillerFrogs

Art Briles' biography is coming out soon

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Austintxfrog94 said:
If it goes to kindle (app) version I may buy it.  At times I wish Baylor a swift return to the cellar (not like they were that far out of it) but you have to respect his story.  No one knows how they'll react to a horrible tragedy but he's done very well when he could have said "screw this" to life and seemed almost justified.  
Maybe I'm just not well-read but I had no idea about the tragedy he experienced when he was a player until after reading this.  A little newfound respect.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
satis1103 said:
Maybe I'm just not well-read but I had no idea about the tragedy he experienced when he was a player until after reading this.  A little newfound respect.
What was his tragedy?  

Generally, books written by ( ghost written ) coaches are dull and anecdotal.  There are usually a few good stories and locker room tales  but nothing earth shattering or compelling enough to make me want to spend money on them.

My guess is that he agreed to a book because he thought it might help in recruiting and then sat down for a few sessions with a ghost writer who tried his best to make it sound interesting

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
While playing for UH, Briles' squad played Smoo at the cotton bowl mid seventies. On the way from their small hometown to Dallas to watch the game, both his parents and his aunt were killed in a car accident.

He noticed they weren't in their normal seating area, started freaking out a little because he felt something was wrong, and found out from a coach after the game what happened.

tcumaniac

satis1103 said:
While playing for UH, Briles' squad played Smoo at the cotton bowl mid seventies. On the way from their small hometown to Dallas to watch the game, both his parents and his aunt were killed in a car accident.

He noticed they weren't in their normal seating area, started freaking out a little because he felt something was wrong, and found out from a coach after the game what happened.

Didn't ever know this.... What a sad deal. Breaks my heart for him.

With that said.... he's still an epic doosh

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
tcumaniac said:

Speaking of epic - what an epic spread of emotions in one statement... good job maniac!

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
satis1103 said:

How horrible that must have been for him

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
tcumaniac said:

Dude...wait until you experience some loss in your life.  It will forever change your perspective on things

tcumaniac

wes said:
Dude...wait until you experience some loss in your life.  It will forever change your perspective on things
My heart literally hurts thinking about what he went through and what he still must go through.... but it doesn't change the fact that I think he sucks.

It also hurts me to imagine what you've been through. You, unlike him, are not a doosh.

With that said, I've experienced loss too.... Not the kind of loss you or Art have experienced, but I know how much the loss I've experienced has sucked, and I can't even begine to imagine the pain losing a parent, spouse, or child would cause.

froginaustin

SnoSkiDrew said:

He's done a pretty solid job turning Baylor into a respectable team. Another 8+ win season (not including bowl) and I'd say Baylor's definitely officially moved up a few notches.

Would be surprised to see Texas or maybe an SEC school like S. Carolina/Auburn come calling should they suddenly need a head coach.

If you meant to say it wouldn't surprise you to see UTx make a run at Briles, I must respectfully disagree.  He's not their type, not even close.  Starting with, he hasn't won nearly enough.  Moving on to, he's not the corporate or celebrity smoozer type that UTx peeps (not necessarily serious football fans; movers and shakers whose opinions count on that campus) expect.

Patterson wins plenty, in the UTx world view.  But he, too, lacks the sort of meet-and-greet appeal that UTx will hire.

Either Patterson or Briles would have to have a personality transplant to be hired as a head coach at UTx.  Or UTx would, and that's not likely.

SnoSki

froginaustin said:

If you meant to say it wouldn't surprise you to see UTx make a run at Briles, I must respectfully disagree.  He's not their type, not even close.  Starting with, he hasn't won nearly enough.  Moving on to, he's not the corporate or celebrity smoozer type that UTx peeps (not necessarily serious football fans; movers and shakers whose opinions count on that campus) expect.

Patterson wins plenty, in the UTx world view.  But he, too, lacks the sort of meet-and-greet appeal that UTx will hire.

Either Patterson or Briles would have to have a personality transplant to be hired as a head coach at UTx.  Or UTx would, and that's not likely.

Good point. If that guy from Stanford keeps winning I can definitely see TX going after him. Seems well spoken and a very smooth guy.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
tcumaniac said:
My heart literally hurts thinking about what he went through and what he still must go through.... but it doesn't change the fact that I think he sucks.

It also hurts me to imagine what you've been through. You, unlike him, are not a doosh.

With that said, I've experienced loss too.... Not the kind of loss you or Art have experienced, but I know how much the loss I've experienced has sucked, and I can't even begine to imagine the pain losing a parent, spouse, or child would cause.
We'll all lose our parents and have lived our lives knowing that. What we don't want to happen is for them to go before their time and that was the case with his folks.  You never want to outlive your kids.  That is something which never leaves you

HoustonVeer

Art used to live around the corner from me when he coached at Houston.  He lived in a 2-story townhome in Midtown about 3 miles from school.

My wife and I were out walking and saw Jan Briles one afternoon.  She's a lovely lady, although I am sure she's more comfortable now in a small town setting.  

Anyway, she invited us in and gave us a tour of their home.  For some reason, the tour included the first floor bathroom.

Sweat to God:  Someone had left a floater in the bowl.  Awkward!