• The KillerFrogs

Aardvark is closing

Deep Purple

Well, I think this was the last of the dingy spots I knew from my college days (Pub not included) and it's gone. Yes, it was not a nice bar and didn't have much to offer but I have some very fond, very gross, and very hazy memories of this place freshman year forward.

RIP

https://www.fwweekly.com/2017/12/04/the-aardvark-is-closing/
In a way, it's sort of poetic that Christ Chapel is buying the Aardvark. Green River Ordinance was a regular booking there from the mid-2000's to present, and the Aardvark is one of the main venues where that band got its start. Most of the GRO members are Christ Chapel products from boyhood, and the parents of most of them are casual friends of ours. We watched those boys grow up from about age 5-10.

Not sure what the church plans to do with that venue. I would guess a young adult-oriented coffee-house type of place with contemporary-style worship services catering to TCU students on Sunday, but really have no idea.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Mrs. Brewingfrog reminded me of the time we drove past the Aardvark on the way to Paris Coffee Shop one day. On the marquee they were pimping their act for that night, a Tom Petty cover band called, wonderfully, 'Petty Theft.'

Sadly, we didn't make it in that evening, but it is still a reliable funny!

TCURiggs

Mrs. Brewingfrog reminded me of the time we drove past the Aardvark on the way to Paris Coffee Shop one day. On the marquee they were pimping their act for that night, a Tom Petty cover band called, wonderfully, 'Petty Theft.'

Sadly, we didn't make it in that evening, but it is still a reliable funny!

That's Mike Rhyner's band. He's a big radio personalty up here in DFW.

4 Oaks Frog

Spent many an hour at the Aardvark and next door at the Moon. My Grammy Award winning son cut his musical teeth playing there when he was in high school and all the time he was at TCU. Was in various bands, Soviet Space, Horses, Oliver Future, but my favorite in those venues was a LZ cover band called Pudge Zepplin. PZ played mostly at the Moon. It was always max capacity and extremely furniture breaking crazy every time PZ played. Danny at the Vark and Chris at the Moon became good friends. RIP Aardvark, you will be missed.

GO FROGS!!
BEAT that school from Cali!!
Spit Blood~~<~< and [Baylor asshoe]!!

Dogfrog

Met friends there a couple times before football games. Had 3-4 TV’s going and not a bad place to “tailgate”

Shorty

Man, if I had a time machine, and could go back in time 5 times, I would spend one trip going back to the HOP on a night when Pico de Gallo played. Some TCU profs (Franzwa & Galvin, to name a few) led an incredibly above average garage band that played a little of everything from Sugar Magnolia to Piss Ant. Most nights would result in gyrating with lady profs and dancing on tabletops, the latter of which once resulted in one being splintered by a lad called Big Jay. People would chant in unison one phrase that I'm pretty sure today would qualify as sacrilege, but it was pure, unadulterated, harmless bacchanalia back then.

I could write paragraphs about the character that was my Philosophy prof, Gregg Franzwa, but I can sum it up with this. When he passed in late 2016, the final line in his obituary read... "He passed surrounded by broken-hearted women begging him not to leave, just as he would have wanted."

Long live Pico, and long live memories of nights at the HOP...
I saw them perform as Half Ass and the Left Behinds in 04/05ish. Absolute mess of a drunken good time like your story. I remember the profs told us to find our TA if we were underage and they would get us drinks.

When I was in high school we would go to The Hop, The Oui Lounge, Caro’s, Daddio’s and a place called the Horseshoe. It was well known that at those places the staff gave zero [darns] about ID

tcumaniac

Link? More info please. Who is buying it?
I was talking to someone employed by CCBC last night at the bball game, and she said she received a work wide email saying that the article wasn’t true and that Christ Chapel didn’t buy the aardvark. She said “I think it was still sold to someone. But it wasn’t to Christ Chapel.”

BABYFACE

Anybody hit the Su Su Lounge right off Camp Bowie on a late Friday or Saturday night? The crowd would usually pickup about midnight and go strong till 2 am.