• The KillerFrogs

2021 Frog Baseball (General)

Last night was a disgrace- no reason for that to happen.

As someone mentioned before me, the older guys need to wake up in this lineup. Studs needs to be studs. Wolf, Sacco, Wood need to be much better. The freshmen are literally carrying this lineup. Ray needs to be better as well and keep his composure

flyfishingfrog

Zags were in our regional back in 2016, pretty decent mid-major program and should put up a fight.

Pine Bluff is no slouch but no reason the frogs shouldn’t handle them easily.

Lafayette will be a good test before Baylor comes to town the next weekend.
Interesting - I guess I just blanked about them being in our 2016 Regional.

Well given what you said and since we just lost to two "solid mid-majors" - it should be really interesting to see how the team responds then over the next 10 days.

Feel like we need to pretty dominate in this stretch if we really are the team that Schloss says we are and what we all hope for...

Pharm Frog

Well the last two loses put a different spin on this road trip for sure

I anticipated one loss from pitching experience concerns but losing to Sam and then getting run ruled by Tx St back to back was disappointing to say the least

hopefully we bounce back strong tonight with both pitching and the bats against UTSA before pounding Gonzaga (didn’t know the played baseball) and Arkie-PB

Louisiana looks decent at 9-4 but that is the last breath before the conference- and we need to be better once B12 starts for sure

Gonzaga isn’t a bad baseball team generally. Not great but not bad. They recruited my son during his junior year of high school. Had staff down in AZ for those high school baseball tournaments held during Spring Break and Spring Training.

Punter1

Observations from the game tonight...

We are getting back one of our two Covid pitchers this weekend. Heard that from 2 different people. I didn't ask who. Hopefully it's Ray obviously.

Nunez struck out 3 times but the ump was SO DARNING BAD fans behind the net were literally laughing at his calls. The 26 combined K's were indicative of both teams not having any clue what would be called strikes so everyone expanded their zones. 26 K's and neither team really threw their studs except Green for us. Anything 1 inch above the belt was a ball but 6 to 8 inches off the plate had a 50/50 chance of being a strike.

Crazy fact...the team isn't driving back tonight. Staying in SA and flying back tomorrow. Freaking spoiled rotten...and I darning love it. That's why you come to TCU. Travel like kings...first class everything everywhere.

PurpleBlood87

We are getting back one of our two Covid pitchers this weekend. Heard that from 2 different people. I didn't ask who. Hopefully it's Ray obviously.

Nunez struck out 3 times but the ump was SO DARNING BAD fans behind the net were literally laughing at his calls. The 26 combined K's were indicative of both teams not having any clue what would be called strikes so everyone expanded their zones. 26 K's and neither team really threw their studs except Green for us. Anything 1 inch above the belt was a ball but 6 to 8 inches off the plate had a 50/50 chance of being a strike.

Crazy fact...the team isn't driving back tonight. Staying in SA and flying back tomorrow. Freaking spoiled rotten...and I darning love it. That's why you come to TCU. Travel like kings...first class everything everywhere.

Wonder if they had to travel using two busses because of Covid protocols?

Moose Stuff

I'm pretty sure Perez is the pitcher who will be back.

frogtex

Spoke with CJS after game ...Ray is fully healthy but has to clear “return to play protocols” ....Perez three in bullpen yesterday and is ready to go...staff doesn’t like moving up Russ smith a day so it will likely be king and the bullpen on Friday....

Gonzaga is damn sure good enough to beat anyone...they were a [ hundin] to deal with in the last regional...longtime good coach...had tech on the road in midweek and split on road with good dbu team

my observations: the older players are pressing big time....younger guys are just 1-playing like little league, 2- younger guys are also just better players 3-cam brown, j speaker and Ridings are going to be VERY good

Punter1

Spoke with CJS after game ...Ray is fully healthy but has to clear “return to play protocols” ....Perez three in bullpen yesterday and is ready to go...staff doesn’t like moving up Russ smith a day so it will likely be king and the bullpen on Friday....

Gonzaga is damn sure good enough to beat anyone...they were a [ hundin] to deal with in the last regional...longtime good coach...had tech on the road in midweek and split on road with good dbu team

my observations: the older players are pressing big time....younger guys are just 1-playing like little league, 2- younger guys are also just better players 3-cam brown, j speaker and Ridings are going to be VERY good

Wolfe, Henry, Wood and Rodgers all look impatient and I agree, pressing bigtime. Hopefully when Sam Thompson gets healthy we can shuffle some things around and have him spell Wolfe and Wood a little.

Like you said...this freshman class is great. 3 excellent position players and lots of arms. Nunez has a .500+ OBP right now. That's insane.

Moose Stuff

It comes down to our older players just being real mediocre players for me. I expect more because they're old, not because they're better. The three freshmen are easily our best 3 position players and there is another really solid group coming in behind them (think we keep most/all of them) that will lay the foundation for a really good 2023-2025 IMO. 2022 could be a little bumpy as we're probably gonna be real young and inexperienced.

jake102

It comes down to our older players just being real mediocre players for me. I expect more because they're old, not because they're better. The three freshmen are easily our best 3 position players and there is another really solid group coming in behind them (think we keep most/all of them) that will lay the foundation for a really good 2023-2025 IMO. 2022 could be a little bumpy as we're probably gonna be real young and inexperienced.

Do we have anyone that can move into the SS role? I know Schloss seems enamored with Sacco's defense, but he's an auto out basically.

Also seems we are short a starter.... basically have to hope Ray can get it together and you find something with Krob, Meador, or Brown. Or you just plan to have a whole bunch of guys who can go 2-3 innings and only have two real starters.

Moose Stuff

Do we have anyone that can move into the SS role? I know Schloss seems enamored with Sacco's defense, but he's an auto out basically.

Also seems we are short a starter.... basically have to hope Ray can get it together and you find something with Krob, Meador, or Brown. Or you just plan to have a whole bunch of guys who can go 2-3 innings and only have two real starters.

I guess you could try Taylor at SS. Not sure what that would look like. They have a HS SS coming in for 2021

Punter1

I guess you could try Taylor at SS. Not sure what that would look like. They have a HS SS coming in for 2021

Taylor started at SS against TX State and looked good...and I agree with Jake102 it'd be nice to upgrade the bat there because Sacco looks lost at the plate.

Not sure how far along Maynard is but he had a good summer and can hit a little and is a possibility at 2nd or SS. Schloos raves about Sacco's defense at SS so if he just hit .250, that's acceptable.

Moose...you know the timetable on Sam Thompson to be back?? He reminds me some of Austin Wade. And also why we haven't seen much of Harrison Beethe or John Kodros? Just been passed up??

Moose Stuff

Taylor started at SS against TX State and looked good...and I agree with Jake102 it'd be nice to upgrade the bat there because Sacco looks lost at the plate.

Not sure how far along Maynard is but he had a good summer and can hit a little and is a possibility at 2nd or SS. Schloos raves about Sacco's defense at SS so if he just hit .250, that's acceptable.

Moose...you know the timetable on Sam Thompson to be back?? He reminds me some of Austin Wade. And also why we haven't seen much of Harrison Beethe or John Kodros? Just been passed up??

Not sure we have playing time for Thompson even if he's healthy. Don't know his timeline. I just assume other guys are better than those two arms though I am surprised we haven't used Beethe more.

Pharm Frog

Not sure we have playing time for Thompson even if he's healthy. Don't know his timeline. I just assume other guys are better than those two arms though I am surprised we haven't used Beethe more.

I am too but the kid has to learn to throw strikes. To my untrained eye it looks like sometimes he’s sped up and sometimes slowed down and arm slots all over the place when he muscles up on a pitch (which seems far too often).

PurpleBlood87

On the Sacco at SS subject if Taylor did start at SS is playing Rogers or someone else at 2B a better offensive option?
Is Sacco's glove worth a hole in the lineup?

Latest posts