• The KillerFrogs

2017 Baseball Recruits

Purp

Well Baker tried to play 1st and some Sooner took his elbow home with him...granted it wasn't all his fault but I think CW can learn LF better then Baker can do 1st.

CW in left, Destroy at 1st, Baker at DH...
Luken was no Landestoy at 1B, but he was not terrible. LB was a better 1B than Wanny by a wide margin. I'd also say LB was a better 1B than Wanny would be in L/RF. I'd also say that LB needs to master a position to maximize his draft potential and that will be a consideration too.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
What position is best suited for Wanhannen then? It sure isn't First Base.

Other than DH, I am not sure. I'll just be nice and say that his time in the OF wasn't as productive as one might hope.

He is serviceable at 1B and did make a few nice plays during the CWS but he is no glove master at that position.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Luken was no Landestoy at 1B, but he was not terrible. LB was a better 1B than Wanny by a wide margin. I'd also say LB was a better 1B than Wanny would be in L/RF. I'd also say that LB needs to master a position to maximize his draft potential and that will be a consideration too.

A prominent member of our coaching staff told me that Luken projects as a 1B at the next level. He certainly has pitching skills but there are a ton of guys who throw in the low 90's and his best chance to distinguish himself comes at the plate.

That same coach told me that Luken would still pitch at certain times this past season and that didn't happen

Luken has a right elbow injury, had it before the season started, which is part of the reason why he didn't pitch. I am not sure if he is going to get it fixed, but as I understand it he will need to in order to pitch again.

He is our everyday 1B next year, at least 75% of the time.

Moose Stuff

Luken is a 1B because he HAS to be. There isn't one other position he could realistically play. DH is the only other option. IMO the injury is a blessing in disguise if he chooses to use the time away from playing properly. I would be getting up early every day and doing as much as I'm physically able to to get my body leaner/looser/more athletic while maintaining strength and following that up with ground balls at 1B until I can't stand up anymore.

And the info above about him pitching is accurate. That ship has sailed.

Punter1

Luken is a 1B because he HAS to be. There isn't one other position he could realistically play. DH is the only other option. IMO the injury is a blessing in disguise if he chooses to use the time away from playing properly. I would be getting up early every day and doing as much as I'm physically able to to get my body leaner/looser/more athletic while maintaining strength and following that up with ground balls at 1B until I can't stand up anymore.

And the info above about him pitching is accurate. That ship has sailed.

You don't think he could be an outfielder?? Baker reminds me a lot of Adam Dunn and now Aaron Judge. All are 6-5, 250 lb+ outfielders with cannon arms. I would think it would be easier to make a Rf/LF outta him then a 1B and I gotta think Baker is athlete enough to run around and catch fly balls.

Ron Swanson

You don't think he could be an outfielder?? Baker reminds me a lot of Adam Dunn and now Aaron Judge. All are 6-5, 250 lb+ outfielders with cannon arms. I would think it would be easier to make a Rf/LF outta him then a 1B and I gotta think Baker is athlete enough to run around and catch fly balls.
I think he's definitely a 1B

Moose Stuff

I wouldn't make any comparisons between the athleticism of Aaron Judge and Luken Baker. I think he'd be an awful outfielder. That's just me .

Punter1

I wouldn't make any comparisons between the athleticism of Aaron Judge and Luken Baker. I think he'd be an awful outfielder. That's just me .

I would never compare Judge's athleticism to almost anybody's, even in the majors...as a former college basketball player he's on a whole different level. I'm was comparing the size between the 3...meaning there is obvious precedent for tall, big outfielders. I've said on here before I think he is Adam Dunn 2.0...and I bet he played 2,000 games as an MLB OFer. i'd at least stick Baker in the OF in the fall to see if he's decent there.

Moose Stuff

I would never compare Judge's athleticism to almost anybody's, even in the majors...as a former college basketball player he's on a whole different level. I'm was comparing the size between the 3...meaning there is obvious precedent for tall, big outfielders. I've said on here before I think he is Adam Dunn 2.0...and I bet he played 2,000 games as an MLB OFer. i'd at least stick Baker in the OF in the fall to see if he's decent there.

Just trying to be realistic, I'd be shocked if he was even close to an average defender. I'm sure he could catch a fly ball hit in his general vicinity but I suspect the range and agility would be tragic. Add to that the possibility that he might have trouble making the required throws and I just don't see how that works. Again, just my opinion.

Westsider

As it stands today, I'm not confident in Baker at 1st. Can he play it? Sure, but he's not a fluid player yet by any means, and without summer ball at the position it'll take a lot of a hell of a lot of work, as mentioned above, to change that. That's just my take on it. Hope it happens.

Moose Stuff

A friend whose son plays at Blinn says one of the Blinn outfielders has signed with TCU:

http://www.buccaneersports.com/sports/bsb/2016-17/bios/rizer_johnny_audt

Says the kid can hit, but I know nothing about the level of comp or size of the ballparks they play in so take it for what its worth.
the
Nephew says the outfielder from Chicago has a plus arm and some pop and the outfielder from SoCal apparently had multiple football offers so he has some athletic ability. See four HS shortstops aside from the kid who is projected to sign and the Frogs also picked up JUCO ss. Guess the middle infielders come from that group. Don't know if one can flip to 3rd, any thoughts on Franson, plus what about a transfer?

In regards to arms it would have been great to get Baz, but Sloan sounds promising as does Smith. Heard a few good things about the two lefties from the Midwest and does anyone know anything about Henderson, kid from Detroit last year? Seen him on Deschants site a couple of times.

Every one of these kids falls into the "we really won't know until they get here and start competing at the college level" category. IMO there was only one lock to come in here next year and make a big immediate impact and that was Tyler Feeeman.

jake102

Out of curiosity, why did the pitching ship sail? Was it 100% related to focusing on one thing (hitting)?
Every one of these kids falls into the "we really won't know until they get here and start competing at the college level" category. IMO there was only one lock to come in here next year and make a big immediate impact and that was Tyler Feeeman.

Yeh... really thought based on what we heard that Ingrahim would play a ton this year. Didn't happen

Ron Swanson

As it stands today, I'm not confident in Baker at 1st. Can he play it? Sure, but he's not a fluid player yet by any means, and without summer ball at the position it'll take a lot of a hell of a lot of work, as mentioned above, to change that. That's just my take on it. Hope it happens.
I didn't have an issue with Baker at 1B. He likely won't win any gold gloves in the big leagues, but I never felt like we were hurting defensively with him out there.

Moose Stuff

Is the thought Franson just isn't an everyday option at 3rd?

Honestly have no idea what he's capable of. Would have to ask the staff. I would assume that the entire infield will almost be an open tryout for every infielder on the roster next fall and wouldn't shock me if that carries over some into the spring.