Annoying Group of 20

TCU_SunBowl_ReportCard.jpg

TCU_SunBowl_ST_SportsPage.jpg

TCU_SunBowl_ElPasoTimes_BasilMitchell.jpg

TCU_SunBowl_ElPasoTimes_Batteaux.jpg

TCU_SunBowl_KamHunt_Sacks_CarsonPalmer2.jpg

TCU_SunBowl_KamHunt_Sacks_CarsonPalmer.jpg

Atomic Frawg

Man, I wish I still had that "Beware of Frog" sign! I rode a Grey Dog to the game - took like, 24 hours - and got to the stadium around 7AM. No one was there but me and Frog Man (may he rest in peace). He told me how the USC band had hocked all over the Frog Horn earlier...brought him to tears. I don't think anyone was happier than him after that win.

YA

Man, I wish I still had that "Beware of Frog" sign! I rode a Grey Dog to the game - took like, 24 hours - and got to the stadium around 7AM. No one was there but me and Frog Man (may he rest in peace). He told me how the USC band had hocked all over the Frog Horn earlier...brought him to tears. I don't think anyone was happier than him after that win.
The usc band earlier in the week at some function broke some of the light bulbs on the frog horn. Coach Fran used that as player motivation.

froginaustin

I watched the Sun Bowl on TV by myself, at home. I didn't want to watch it with other people around, too used to expecting a horrible beat-down like those routinely happening at the hands of UTx, Arkansas, tOSU, and just about any other "power" program TCU played.

I don't remember much of the second half. I have never been drunker during any sporting event. I would love to see that game again, (relatively) sober. With friends around.

Frogenstein

The usc band earlier in the week at some function broke some of the light bulbs on the frog horn. Coach Fran used that as player motivation.
I remember that. They also slapped a few USC stickers on it. There were quite a few stories about the Trojan band behaving like jackasses that week.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
A few Froggish friends traveled down to South Padre for New Year's with us, 4 couples in all. We watched the game from Kelly's Irish Bar (now demolished).

What a fun time! None of us expected to win, maybe stay competitive, but we'd seen TCU Football for all of the bad years and that attitude of "It's a big game. We never win Big Games" was quite strong. It wasn't as if TCU had a chance, we had good players and a good system, but the Frogs were very inconsistent and the year before was a total disaster. Utterly crushing USC as we did was such a pleasant surprise!

Drunkenness. Heh. 3rd quarter I was hollering to all "This is the most important possession of the game! What we do here will determine the outcome!" Any 3rd down was helped along with tequila, taking one for the team...

froginaustin

A few Froggish friends traveled down to South Padre for New Year's with us, 4 couples in all. We watched the game from Kelly's Irish Bar (now demolished).

What a fun time! None of us expected to win, maybe stay competitive, but we'd seen TCU Football for all of the bad years and that attitude of "It's a big game. We never win Big Games" was quite strong. It wasn't as if TCU had a chance, we had good players and a good system, but the Frogs were very inconsistent and the year before was a total disaster. Utterly crushing USC as we did was such a pleasant surprise!

Drunkenness. Heh. 3rd quarter I was hollering to all "This is the most important possession of the game! What we do here will determine the outcome!" Any 3rd down was helped along with tequila, taking one for the team...

I'm really glad I was at home . . . :ph34r:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
As recall there were quite a few obnoxious USC posters on line too. Their Outland Trophy LB was so gassed he could barely breath and future Heisman winner and Andy Dalton predecessor Carson Palmer was frustrated all day. This was the first glint that TCU could travel and put a lot of purple in a stadium.

sous vide

As recall there were quite a few obnoxious USC posters on line too. Their Outland Trophy LB was so gassed he could barely breath and future Heisman winner and Andy Dalton predecessor Carson Palmer was frustrated all day. This was the first glint that TCU could travel and put a lot of purple in a stadium.

I have it on "good authority"--a USC physician who was here for a few years--that the "only reason USC lost was because they were partying the night before the game." :biggrin: As if that's actually an excuse even if it were true!

Frog DJ

Ecto, his TCU roommate and I flew into El Paso that morning, saw the game and flew right back to Houston.

Like others, I figured TCU little chance of winning, but I was content the Frogs were just playing in a bowl game.

When Mitchell ripped off that 60-yarder I began to flirt with the idea TCU could actually win, but remained skeptical.

In the second half TCU dropped USC's tailback for a loss and ecto screamed, "Can...not...run...the...ball!"

As the clock wound down I turned to him and said, "This is a big game for you guys, but I've waited 40 years for this!"

A USC player (team travel bag in hand) collapsed in a seat across from us at the El Paso Airport, looked up and saw the three of us decked out in purple.

He just shook his head, got right back up and walked away, muttering to himself. What a great day!

Go Frogs! Can't Wait For Next Year!

Frogenstein

I was there as well and flew back that night after the game. We had 3-4 USC players on the flight and a Grad Assistant coach on the flight. By chance I was seated right next to the GA. He was from Segiun and a really nice guy though I have forgotten his name.
The TCU radio crew was also on the flight and one of them had a Coors Light 12 pack and he went down the aisle passing them out to TCU fans. Try that post 9-11.

The 1998 Sun Bowl victory was only the precursor to a chain of events that

changed our future. This was followed by Franchione's departure to Alabama

and the ascension of Gary Patterson, who was destined to become the finest

football coach in the country....Sometime it just pays to be lucky! :wink:

Frog Brother

The sun Bowl victory is second only to the Rose Bowl win. I am glad I was at both of them. It is going to be hard to live up to either of them but winning the Big-12 championship in football in the next year or two just might get us in that neighborhood. After that, a MNC MIGHT do it.