• The KillerFrogs

1998 Sun Bowl

Don't worry about it getting it converted that is not a problem. Once it is converted he will likely contact you and have you share it on-line.

Patience....

Well yeah, but how is it getting converted? There are ways of converting it and there are also ways of converting and maintaining maximum quality.

peacock

I remember sitting in the stands and after going up 21-0 running to a pay phone (pre mobile days) to call the girlfriend and screaming I can't believe we were up 21-zip on US-freaking-C!!! Then worrying the rest of the day about USC coming back Fran was the best game plan coach I have ever seen but he was the absolute worst about making in-game adjustments. Still one of the finest days in Frog history!

westtexfrog

I remember sitting in the stands and after going up 21-0 running to a pay phone (pre mobile days) to call the girlfriend and screaming I can't believe we were up 21-zip on US-freaking-C!!! Then worrying the rest of the day about USC coming back Fran was the best game plan coach I have ever seen but he was the absolute worst about making in-game adjustments. Still one of the finest days in Frog history!

I desperately wanted to go to the game and couldn't because of previous commitment at work. I snuck off to watch the game with a couple of my dad's old friends who played football at TCU in the 50's. Needless to say I didn't get much work done the rest of the day. We were going crazy. I remember feeling the same way as Peacock. The game clock couldn't move fast enough for me in the 4th quarter. I couldn't have been more proud of the Frogs than that day. Then came the Rose Bowl (I was there with my family) and well you know the story.

Stiff Arm Frog

Might also mention that the Sun Bowl trophy is one of the prettiest in our entire trophy case.

sun_trophy.jpg

That's a keeper.

Long Time Fan

Long Time Fan
Bonner. I had to work late. I'll PM you tomorrow night. The VHS tape is still in good shape and there are very few commercials. :). We'll try to get this converted for all to see.

sous vide

Good deal. No rush :cool:

I never saw that game. It was unavailable here and I could only get it on--by today's standards--rather primitive internet radio that had a tendency to crash every little while and require reconnection. Killed a large portion of a bottle of Scotch and a couple of--legal here--Cuban cigars listening to it! I would kill to be able to see that .avi. Please tell me when you get it.

Nice job you did on the Liberty Bowl VHS I sent you. Loved watching it again.

TCU2002

Basil Mitchell was starting RB with LT coming off the bench. Who knew how rich we were at that position. I think Basil was drafted and played a few years at Green Bay.

Basil Mitchell's 60-yard TD run in the first half is still probably the most euphoric TCU football moment I have witnessed in person (I did not attend the Rose Bowl).

Atomic Frawg

Basil Mitchell's 60-yard TD run in the first half is still probably the most euphoric TCU football moment I have witnessed in person (I did not attend the Rose Bowl).
Option right, Pat Batt pitches to Basil, Basil almost goes out of bounds but tip toes a few steps then regains balance, off to the races up the sideline...joy.

Frog DJ

Option right, Pat Batt pitches to Basil, Basil almost goes out of bounds but tip toes a few steps then regains balance, off to the races up the sideline...joy.
When Basil regained his balance I remember throwing both hands straight up in the air, and my beloved son slapping my chest over and over again, as we screamed at the tops of our lungs!

As Dan Jenkins said so well, "It was just the best day of our entire lives, that's all."

Go Frogs! Can't Wait For Next Year!

NetFrog2

I was in the band at the Sun Bowl, and it's definitely among the top 3 TCU sporting events I've ever attended (along with the BB win vs. New Mexico in 1998 and beating Utah at ACS the same day as College Gameday's visit a couple years ago). Like an earlier poster mentioned, I also ran to the pay phone in the stadium concourse during the game to call my parents and scream for them to turn on the TV (they were already watching, of course). I have the game on VHS as well if the OP isn't able to get it converted.

El Paso did it right - they treated the team, cheerleaders, band and fans like kings, and the game presentation was good. I can also back up the earlier comment about USC's band - they acted like thugs. I have a photo somewhere of some USC band guys harassing TCU showgirls (right before TCU guys shooed them away) - will see if I can dig that up and scan it.

count_biffula

The usc band earlier in the week at some function broke some of the light bulbs on the frog horn. Coach Fran used that as player motivation.

I remember going to some kind of pep rally the night before with the wife. Fran arrived and got up to speak. I remember about all he said was that he was pissed, the team was pissed, that they weren't treating the bowl game like a reward, that they were there to win. Then he stepped down off the podium and left. I remember the hair standing up on the back of my neck telling the missus that we might have a chance.

tcumaniac

One of the few bowl games growing up that my dad went to without taking me along. I was 7 or 8 and remember my mom putting up TCU decorations everywhere and making TCU cupcakes and me her and my brother and sister watching the entire thing! I didn't quite grasp the gravity of it at the time, but certainly remember watching it

Zubaz

Man oh man, if someone could make this available, that would be awesome.

My old man hates watching commercials. This was before DVR's, so what's he do? He records the first 2 hours of the game, takes the tape out, puts a NEW tape in to record, watches the first tape while the second tape is recording, and by the time the first tape is done, the second tape had the rest of the game so we watched that.

Totally worth it.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The best part was leading up to the game the USC fans coming on the board to tell us we had no chance because LB Liz Claiborne was Superman and would single-handily beat us by flying all over the field because he was bigger, better and faster than anything lowly, sorry TCU has ever seen or faced.

Watch the game to see how that turned out.

Big Frog II

The best part was leading up to the game the USC fans coming on the board to tell us we had no chance because LB Liz Claiborne was Superman and would single-handed beat us by flying all over the field because he was bigger, better and faster than anything lowly, sorry TCU has ever seen or faced.

Watch the game to see how that turned out.
LIZ CLAIBORNE???? Obviously he is known for something besides his football skills.