• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Five burning offseason questions for TCU: Who wins the Horned Frogs' brewing QB battle?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: Five burning offseason questions for TCU: Who wins the Horned Frogs' brewing QB battle?

By Reece Kelley Graham, Staff Writer
Contact Reece Kelley Grahamon Twitter:mad:ReeceKelleyG

With another Alamo Bowl win in the books, it's time to look forward. Here are five burning questions we have for TCU in the offseason:

1. Who wins the long-term quarterback battle?

Kenny Hill rode off into the sunset last week with a bowl win, a nice finish to a rather tumultuous collegiate career. It seems kind of fitting that he would play some of his best, most consistent football in his final weeks wearing Horned Frog purple. He never turned out to be "the guy" at TCU, and he certainly wasn't another Trevone Boykin. But he did find a way to endear himself to TCU fans and led the Frogs to a 11-win season as a senior. So long, Mr. Trill. It was fun.

Now things get interesting. With two highly prized prospects scheduled to fight over the quarterback spot, the future of the position is uncertain.

Read more at https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...ason-questions-tcu-wins-brewing-qb-battle?f=r

Last edited:

FrogCop19

By Reece Kelley Graham, Staff Writer
Contact Reece Kelley Grahamon Twitter:mad:ReeceKelleyG

With another Alamo Bowl win in the books, it's time to look forward. Here are five burning questions we have for TCU in the offseason:

1. Who wins the long-term quarterback battle?

Kenny Hill rode off into the sunset last week with a bowl win, a nice finish to a rather tumultuous collegiate career. It seems kind of fitting that he would play some of his best, most consistent football in his final weeks wearing Horned Frog purple. He never turned out to be "the guy" at TCU, and he certainly wasn't another Trevone Boykin. But he did find a way to endear himself to TCU fans and led the Frogs to a 11-win season as a senior. So long, Mr. Trill. It was fun.

Now things get interesting. With two highly prized prospects scheduled to fight over the quarterback spot, the future of the position is uncertain.

Read more at https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...-ou-career-comes-close-rose-bowl-cant-believe

Is this your idea of a cruel joke, or did my phone mistakenly send me to an article about how awesome BM is?

MinFrog

I really don't like to read about freshman/sophomores that are expected to contribute significantly. We have some younguns with all the potential in the world, but we seem extremely young - especially for an early season bout with ohio state.

with that said, damn, 19 and 20 should be some fun years.

PhillyFrog

"Departing defensive end Mat Boesen, TCU's sack leader in 2017, is a major loss. Luckily, the Frogs retain Ben Banogu for one more season, so TCU only needs to replace one. L.J. Collier looks to be that guy. Keep your eyes on him in spring camp."

I missed that about Banogu. He staying?

Moose Stuff

IMO if we can piece together just an average OL and SR (assuming he’s the guy) can play his game and limit turnovers we could be pretty damn good. We have young talent that we’ve just never had and quite a bit of it..... Sewo, DA, SR, Bethley, Gaines, Blacklock, Reagor, Manning..... Ben’s decision on returning/NFL looms very large.

WhatTheFrog

"Departing defensive end Mat Boesen, TCU's sack leader in 2017, is a major loss. Luckily, the Frogs retain Ben Banogu for one more season, so TCU only needs to replace one. L.J. Collier looks to be that guy. Keep your eyes on him in spring camp."

I missed that about Banogu. He staying?

I've noticed that a lot of reporters that aren't that familiar with what's going on locally are simply assuming that he's returning because he's a junior. I think it's still up in the air at this point.

MinFrog

IMO if we can piece together just an average OL and SR (assuming he’s the guy) can play his game and limit turnovers we could be pretty damn good. We have young talent that we’ve just never had and quite a bit of it..... Sewo, DA, SR, Bethley, Gaines, Blacklock, Reagor, Manning..... Ben’s decision on returning/NFL looms very large.

This seems like the recipe we used this year to win 11 games.

If we could replicate this team next year we have a shot at winning the conference. Especially cause OU won't have the damn runaway train of an offense they had this year.

I am expecting the same type offsense this year, not becaue SR (or collins) can't make the throws downfield, but because they don't have the experience to make the downfield reads. Quite a few bubble screens and RB flares, with a few more downfield shots mixed in.

If Ben stays, our DL should be better, LBers will hopefully hold the same (although losing howard hurts), and our DBs should be more athletic (I would think safeties play better, but CBs worse with losing Texada).

tcumaniac

Lazy, subpar journalism as usual.

Ben Banogu is all but gone. EDIT: maybe not according to riggs. This article also says the Sammy Douglas is a likely replacement for Travin Howard... Sammy was a senior too.

Just terrible, lazy journalism. Really is quite pathetic.

Last edited:

TCURiggs

Lazy, subpar journalism as usual.

Ben Banogu is all but gone. This article also says the Sammy Douglas is a likely replacement for Travin Howard... Sammy was a senior too.

Just terrible, lazy journalism. Really is quite pathetic.

Where did you get that? I've heard that he's likely returning.

jake102

Five halfway decent questions:

1) Who will step-up at OT opposite Niang?

2) Who will step-up at OG opposite Iwuagwu?

3) Will Robinson manage the game? Will he be a big play/big mistake guy? Will he get hurt from running too much?

4a) Assuming Banogu goes NFL - who steps-up opposite Collier? Epley? Bowen?

4b) If Banogu doesn't go NFL - will our DTs become superstars? Can they take that next step and look more like Alabama/Clemson?

5) Will we get improved safety play? Biggest weakness on our D this year.

jake102

The article never mentions Omar Manning. I hope not mentioning him will produce a chip on his shoulder. Start writing names and let them ask for forgiveness.

I'm not really worried about WR at all. Reagor is a superstar in the making, from all reports Manning is off the charts (his HS tape is insane), Turpin should be back, Stewart and Austin have plenty of experience. Also have Hunt coming in who should play immediately. I actually like having less options out there.