• The KillerFrogs

Official starter

jake102

By and large, we've been very fortunate on the injury front this year. I'd probably take years like this every single time I could.

I agree it hasn't been terrible, but what team has been down QB and RB this year?

Alabama - nope
Clemson - nope (RB was healthy Syracuse game)
OU - nope
Wisconsin - nope
Miami - nope
Auburn - nope
Georgia - nope
Ohio St -nope
Penn St - nope
USC - nope

Chongo94

I'd be curious to know how many of Tech's regularly attending fans travel from DFW or other parts of Texas more than a few hours away from Lubbock. I imagine it'd be hard to justify going all the way out to Lubbock for an 11am game to watch a bad team... especially considering some people may have travel plans a few days later for thanksgiving.

It is a surprisingly large amount. I can remember in the '90s, prior to Leach firing everyone up, they'd get 35,000 give or take for a game against Nebraska, and they had 20-25,000 students then.

When Leach came and started firing everyone up and brought in the new offense, that's when you finally saw more fans attending and a lot of those numbers were due to alumni and fans making the trip out there.

Like Caprock said in another thread, 5 years in, they're tired of what they've seen and can't justify the cost of the trip for the return given. Oh and they're not giving away the car until the 4th qtr apparently to try to keep more students and fans the whole game.

jake102

And let's not act like Darius is far and away better than Hicks. It obviously hurts our depth/rotation in a huge way, but Hicks is a stud. If he can handle the additional carries, which he should, we'll be just fine.

Honestly, I worry less about Hicks and more about RB rotation. I felt confident in Hicks/Anderson splitting carries but don't feel close to as good about Hicks/Sewo splitting. And if Hicks goes down, I'm not sure where our running game goes.

Wexahu

I agree it hasn't been terrible, but what team has been down QB and RB this year?

Alabama - nope
Clemson - nope (RB was healthy Syracuse game)
OU - nope
Wisconsin - nope
Miami - nope
Auburn - nope
Georgia - nope
Ohio St -nope
Penn St - nope
USC - nope

OK, but I don't think RB is any more a critical position that several others. OU, for example, is now missing both starting CBs and a starting Safety. And Georgia has a played a true freshman at QB all year because the incumbent starter got hurt. All of the teams you listed have lost some guys.....take a look at Wisconsin's injury list for this week. USC has had a lot of guys banged up this year.

I'm just saying, generally we've had very good injury luck this year. We're into week 11 and our QB and best RB have missed a total of 1/2 game, our D-line is mainly intact, I don't think we've had any WRs down, outside of Morris our starting O-line has been healthy, our secondary minus Lewis has been healthy up to now. I probably missed a player or two but I'd take it every year.

jake102

OK, but I don't think RB is any more a critical position that several others. OU, for example, is now missing both starting CBs and a starting Safety. And Georgia has a played a true freshman at QB all year because the incumbent starter got hurt. All of the teams you listed have lost some guys.....take a look at Wisconsin's injury list for this week. USC has had a lot of guys banged up this year.

I'm just saying, generally we've had very good injury luck this year. We're into week 11 and our QB and best RB have missed a total of 1/2 game, our D-line is mainly intact, I don't think we've had any WRs down, outside of Morris our starting O-line has been healthy, our secondary minus Lewis has been healthy up to now. I probably missed a player or two but I'd take it every year.

I generally agree pending what the offense looks like without Hill and Anderson this week. If it's a disaster, I might revise.

TCURiggs

Honestly, I worry less about Hicks and more about RB rotation. I felt confident in Hicks/Anderson splitting carries but don't feel close to as good about Hicks/Sewo splitting. And if Hicks goes down, I'm not sure where our running game goes.

I agree, which is why I said I hope Hicks can handle a lot of carries. Luckily, we only have (hopefully) three games left before a long break before the bowl game. Hicks missed a good bit of time earlier this season, so hopefully he'll be fresh enough to handle the increased workload until we get the bowl break.

And let's not act like Darius is far and away better than Hicks. It obviously hurts our depth/rotation in a huge way, but Hicks is a stud. If he can handle the additional carries, which he should, we'll be just fine.

Hicks can block better. i think he is a better pass catcher, But he dances around the line too much on carries whereas DA hits the holes and appears to have better vision IMO. However, we were very fortunate to have both for the first 10 games. KH is a stud and should prove so against Tech and Bayrape

Wexahu

Hicks can block better. i think he is a better pass catcher, But he dances around the line too much on carries whereas DA hits the holes and appears to have better vision IMO. However, we were very fortunate to have both for the first 10 games. KH is a stud and should prove so against Tech and Bayrape

I don't think I've even seen a running back get swung backwards when he's tackled as much as Hicks. Not to be overly critical of his play but that's the main weakness I see, instead of running through contact to get the extra yard or two he tends to stop, get flat-footed, and just lose all his forward momentum. He's an upgrade in the passing game over Anderson though so there is that.

4th. down

Unless something has changed in the last few minutes, don't believe Kenny is going to play.

ifrog

I don't think I've even seen a running back get swung backwards when he's tackled as much as Hicks. Not to be overly critical of his play but that's the main weakness I see, instead of running through contact to get the extra yard or two he tends to stop, get flat-footed, and just lose all his forward momentum. He's an upgrade in the passing game over Anderson though so there is that.

Did you just come a TCU fan this year? Serious question

ifrog

No. Why do you stalk me on here? Serious question. You’ve got a stupid smart ass response to more than half of my posts. Put me on ignore, save yourself the trouble.

It was a serious question. Hicks was one of the best backs in the B12 last year. He is still an excellent back, but he doesn’t run the same style as Darius. Why do you go out of your way to find faults with every player? I’m not ignoring you btw, you need thicker skin

Wexahu

It was a serious question. Hicks was one of the best backs in the B12 last year. He is still an excellent back, but he doesn’t run the same style as Darius. Why do you go out of your way to find faults with every player? I’m not ignoring you btw, you need thicker skin

I don’t go out of my way to find faults with every player. I’ve been high on Anderson since mid last year. I think our safeties and CBs are very good. I love the new D-tackles.

Why do you consistently trash on our WRs?