• The KillerFrogs

Kevin Sumlin out at A&M, preparations for dismissal

Sebastian S

They(A&M) think they have a better football program than TCU.

What exactly have they done? Is it because they are in the SEC?

"Or maybe he would like to see what it's like to run with the big dogs.

To have the same resources as Oklahoma and Texas. "

"Lol, no tcu is not a better program. They have a better team this year and in 2014, and Patterson is a better coach than Sumlin, but the football program is not better than A&M's."

FrogLifeYo

The players in the cupboard is the best thing about the A&M job..Whoever takes the job will have a ton of talent to work with..Unfortunately the school administration and fan expectations are unbearable..If I'm Aggy I look for a Defensive minded guy

Peacefrog

Degenerate

What exactly have they done? Is it because they are in the SEC?

"Or maybe he would like to see what it's like to run with the big dogs.

To have the same resources as Oklahoma and Texas. "

"Lol, no tcu is not a better program. They have a better team this year and in 2014, and Patterson is a better coach than Sumlin, but the football program is not better than A&M's."
After Baylor, easily the dumbest sports fans in America.

rifram09

It seems like the Aggies never cared about national success, instead always focused on comparing themselves to UT. Now that they have broken away from UT, they are in the process of realizing having the most fans and silliest traditions is not a sufficient substitute for winning games at an elite level.

asleep003

"Lol, no tcu is not a better program. They have a better team this year and in 2014, and Patterson is a better coach than Sumlin, but the football program is not better than A&M's."[/QUOTE]

AP FINAL TOP 25: 2003 thru 2017 present rank

Frogs have 10 top 25 finishes/ 6 top 10/ 2 top 5.
Aggies have 3 top 25 finishes/ 1 top 10/ 0 top 5.

Just love those quotes by aggie .... just incredible !

Last edited:

Deep Purple

Point taken. I have learned, however, to never underestimate ego. I’m not necessarily applying this to CGP, but it seems like there are a number of coaches out there who coach not for the money but for ego. These guys are driven in pursuit of proving their ability to win, and to win it all.[...] So I guess there’s a small part of me that worries that CGP will think he has better access to building his dream team there and in a relatively short period of time. But I don’t know that the path to a NC is any easier... probably harder notwithstanding.
There's probably a lot in what you say that's true, but I don't think much of it applies to CGP, and here's why. Patterson had a first-row center seat in observing the disaster that enfolded Dennis Franchione when his ego led him to abandon a very comfortable and lucrative TCU job for what he perceived as the greater glories of Bama and then Texas A&M. And he totally crashed and burned. Now he's coaching in the Sunbelt Conference at Texas State.

About 4-5 years ago I remember reading a Patterson interview on one of those internet football e-zine sites (I forget which). When asked about all the offers he was constantly getting from other FBS programs, Patterson answered (paraphrased), "I recently had a phone conversation with a coach I worked with for many years, who coached at some of the country's top programs, but is now in obscurity. He told me, 'Don't believe the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, because I'm here to tell you from personal experience, it isn't."

The reference to a Patterson conversation with longtime friend Franchione was pretty obvious. That's why I believe Patterson won't let ego influence any coaching decision he makes.

He's going to retire at TCU. No idea when that will be -- perhaps 3-5 years -- but it will roughly align with my retirement. Look forward to getting to know CGP at the TCU Retiree's Association meetings.

Last edited:

Multiple sources says they are shooting big, starting with Jimbo Fisher. I'm betting they will be contacting every big name coach not named Saban before they move to the Charlie Strong/Chad Morris type coaches.

tcumaniac

Just playing devil's advocate here, but I think some of our fans need some humbling.

We laugh at A&M for being an inferior football program to us and laugh that they think Patterson would ever consider joining that dumpster fire... but what exactly makes us a better football program? The only answer is Gary Patterson.

As much as I hate Aggy, I'm not too blindly arrogant to admit that they have more resources than we do, more fans than we do, MUCH better fan support than we do, facilities that are just as good or better than we do, and are in a conference that is nationally perceived as the best conference in the land. Not to mention they already out recruit us regularly with Sumlin.

It's not illogical to think that Patterson would consider jumping ship, especially if he feels as if he's in the twilight years of his career and if he feels as if his chances at winning it at all are simply too improbable at TCU.

Ego could very much be at play. Maybe Patterson is tired of our fickle fan base. Maybe Patterson is tired of losing recruiting battles to programs that continue to under perform his program. Maybe he thinks he's a better coach than Nick Saban and thinks, "Hell. Give me access to the resources and recruits that he gets, I can compete for National Championships every year too... and I can beat him"

I don't think Patterson leaves, but I don't think it's as ludicrous as some of you make it out to seem. As Frog9497 said, never underestimate ego.

Last edited:

HeidelFrog

Just playing devil's advocate here, but I think some of our fans need some humbling.

We laugh at A&M for being an inferior football program to us and laugh that they think Patterson would ever consider joining that dumpster fire... but what exactly makes us a better football program? The only answer is Gary Patterson.

As much as I hate Aggy, I'm not too blindly arrogant to admit that they have more resources than we do, more fans than we do, MUCH better fan support than we do, facilities that are just as good or better than we do, and are in a conference that is nationally perceived as the best conference in the land. Not to mention they already out recruit us regularly with Sumlin.

It's not illogical to think that Patterson would consider jumping ship, especially if he feels as if he's in the twilight years of his career and if he feels as if his chances at winning it at all are simply too improbable at TCU.

Ego could very much be at play. Maybe Patterson is tired of our fickle fan base. Maybe Patterson is tired of losing recruiting battles to programs that continue to under perform his program. Maybe he thinks he's a better coach than Nick Saban and thinks, "Hell. Give me access to the resources and recruits that he gets, I can compete for National Championships every year too... and I can beat him"

I don't think Patterson leaves, but I don't think it's as ludacris as some of you make it out to seem. As Frog9497 said, never underestimate ego.
Here we go again on another thread. GP is leaving and it’s all because of the WSLB. You heard it from Maniac first. He knows it...

MAcFroggy

Multiple sources says they are shooting big, starting with Jimbo Fisher. I'm betting they will be contacting every big name coach not named Saban before they move to the Charlie Strong/Chad Morris type coaches.

According to the USAToday Coach's salary database Jimbo Fisher is the 6th highest paid coach in college football at $5.7M a year. (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/). How much more would A&M be willing to pay a new head coach?

Why would Jimbo Fisher leave a school that he has built back up. He won a national championship in 2013, played in the CFP in 2014, played in a NY6 bowl in 2015, and then played in another NY6 game (and won) in 2016. His average top 25 finish the past 5 seasons has been #8.

Yes, I know he has had a bad year this year, but he has built one of the truly elite programs in Tallahassee. Why would he leave all that to go to a program that has not been truly elite in decades?

Wexahu

I don't think Patterson leaves, but I don't think it's as ludacris as some of you make it out to seem. As Frog9497 said, never underestimate ego.

As great as GP is, since 2012 he's finished below .500 twice. Despite that, hardly anyone associated with TCU was calling for his job. In that same time frame Sumlin's worst record at A&M has been 8-6 (playing in the SEC West) and he's really lucky he didn't get canned last year. Explain how making the same amount of money in a job that offers almost total job security in a place where you are so revered you have your own statue compares to one where a season or two of not reaching fan's expectations puts you on the hot seat and that much closer to coaching purgatory.

It would be no easier to win a National Title at A&M than it will be at TCU. The odds of either happening are extremely long anyway, but if it were to happen at TCU, it would mean 10x more for GP than it would if he left for A&M (or any other school).

Last edited:

Zubaz

There's literally no upside to going to A&M from TCU for him. Other coaches might prefer to go from TCU to A&M, yes, but not Patterson.

I have zero idea how anyone can conclude that his chances of winning it all are better at A&M than at TCU. He's been in the national title picture 4 years at TCU, two of which were done doing the impossible by being the only coach on Non-AQ history to finish in the Top 4 (and he did it twice). That doesn't include this year, where that's still very much in play. He has just as big a chance at a national title at TCU as he does at A&M, perhaps even a better shot at TCU due to the roadblock that exists in the SEC West. The money is comparable, if not equal. He's an icon at TCU associated with building the program, he's THE coach in TCU football history...but his record since joining the Big 12 would get him fired at A&M.

The only thing he can do is tarnish his legacy. If he continues to win, great, he was already winning at the P5 level at TCU. If he goes 8-4, he gets fired. I know @tcumaniac has some concerns about our stadium atmosphere, but I seriously doubt anyone would be so shortsighted as to forsake a legacy like that for some extra bodies behind your sideline.

There was a time when I think the A&M job would have been attractive to him, but I really think we are 8-10 years past that point.

Maybe Patterson is tired of our fickle fan base.

Good grief. Is there a fricking fan base in the country more satisfied with their coach? Is there a fricking coach in the country whose job is safer?

Stop it

GP could leave, no doubt but "fan base" will not be the reason. You think Aggie has MUCH better fan support? There has been a cadre of big wigs down there undermining Sumlin since Manziel left. All they have is more rank and file screaming zealots who will turn on a coach in a NY minute on TexAgs. Real support for a coach is what goes on at TCU...facilities, money, statues, freedom to do as you damn well please and etc.

Frog-in-law1995

ludacris-67.jpeg