• The KillerFrogs

Kevin Sumlin out at A&M, preparations for dismissal

Ron Swanson

Just playing devil's advocate here, but I think some of our fans need some humbling.

We laugh at A&M for being an inferior football program to us and laugh that they think Patterson would ever consider joining that dumpster fire... but what exactly makes us a better football program? The only answer is Gary Patterson.

As much as I hate Aggy, I'm not too blindly arrogant to admit that they have more resources than we do, more fans than we do, MUCH better fan support than we do, facilities that are just as good or better than we do, and are in a conference that is nationally perceived as the best conference in the land. Not to mention they already out recruit us regularly with Sumlin.

It's not illogical to think that Patterson would consider jumping ship, especially if he feels as if he's in the twilight years of his career and if he feels as if his chances at winning it at all are simply too improbable at TCU.

Ego could very much be at play. Maybe Patterson is tired of our fickle fan base. Maybe Patterson is tired of losing recruiting battles to programs that continue to under perform his program. Maybe he thinks he's a better coach than Nick Saban and thinks, "Hell. Give me access to the resources and recruits that he gets, I can compete for National Championships every year too... and I can beat him"

I don't think Patterson leaves, but I don't think it's as ludicrous as some of you make it out to seem. As Frog9497 said, never underestimate ego.

If he left for A&M, he would be hated forever in Fort Worth. He’s too smart to do that and ruin a good thing.

He’s going to retire as TCU’s HC as a legend and live out his days leading a charmed life in FW because he is the savior of TCU football.

No way he would leave for A&M

tcumaniac

If he left for A&M, he would be hated forever in Fort Worth. He’s too smart to do that and ruin a good thing.

He’s going to retire as TCU’s HC as a legend and live out his days leading a charmed life in FW because he is the savior of TCU football.

If I was Coach P, that would be my exact line of thinking too. I hope and expect it to play out this way. I've just seen smoke. Not smoke that implies he is for sure leaving. But smoke that he'd realistically consider it. And from my experiences, smoke usually means fire.

I don't think our administration takes him for granted, but I think some of our fans do. My worst nightmare is that we one day regret not doing more to have helped keep him around.

Wexahu

If I was Coach P, that would be my exact line of thinking too. I hope and expect it to play out this way. I've just seen smoke. Not smoke that implies he is for sure leaving. But smoke that he'd realistically consider it. And from my experiences, smoke usually means fire.

I don't think our administration takes him for granted, but I think some of our fans do. My worst nightmare is that we one day regret not doing more to have helped keep him around.

That's really your worst nightmare? There's going to come a day when GP isn't here anymore and it might be sooner than you think, but I think we'll be able to land a pretty good coach when that happens, TCU football isn't necessarily going to start sucking again when GP leaves. I think what he's built has a little more staying power than that.

Wally the Frog

I remember a couple of years ago there was a ton of smoke about Patterson leaving for Kansas State....How did that work out?

DeuceBoogieNights

That's really your worst nightmare? There's going to come a day when GP isn't here anymore and it might be sooner than you think, but I think we'll be able to land a pretty good coach when that happens, TCU football isn't necessarily going to start sucking again when GP leaves. I think what he's built has a little more staying power than that.

This. TCU has to make the right hire for GP's replacement, but they'll be able to get a solid coach to come here.

Frog-in-law1995

I’m starting to think you’re shilling for his agent.

ECM

I'm really curious to see who they hire...I'm not sure they can justify hiring Chad Morris who best case scenario will be 8-4 at SMU this year (more likely 7-5) when they've ripped Sumlin for 8-4 seasons at A&M. I think on a deeper level it makes sense because he already proved himself as an elite coordinator at Clemson and he's improved SMU each year he's been here; but at the same time I think it's a hard sell to the A&M fan base who thinks they're a top 3 job nationally. If they pass on Chad, I think he ends up at Arkansas or Ole Miss. Too many good open jobs this cycle for him to stay at SMU

I don't think Patterson would leave TCU for A&M...that would hit too close to home for a school that obviously means a lot to him. I'd be shocked if he ever left TCU but if he did this cycle I think he'd go somewhere like Florida or Tennessee where he can recruit the caliber of players out of HS that are a harder pull for him now.

Frogcrates

Enter Del Conte:

5e6.gif

Westsider

GP told a founder before the Rose Bowl that there is one job he would leave for. Of course he wouldn’t name it. That was five/six years ago and my money says that day has come and gone.

Pharm Frog

GP told a founder before the Rose Bowl that there is one job he would leave for. Of course he wouldn’t name it. That was five/six years ago and my money says that day has come and gone.

EMCC? We know that he wants kids that want a degree and they hand out degrees like candy there. Prolly an easier path to a national championship too.

COWTOWN FAN

Look what leaving TCU did to Coach Fran.

MinerFrog2409

The offseason sucks
He isn't going anywhere. 5-7 years ago he had a lot of opportunities and he stayed. Now TCU is a staple in the Top 25 and damn near in the Top 10. Give it a few more years in the Big 12 and we could be considered a national power year in and year out. He has TCU the most relevant it has ever been(in the modern era, 1935-38 was a long time ago) and will continue to raise that profile. He will go down as TCU's best coach ever and likely will have a Mack Brown type role at TCU as long as he so pleases. I could be wrong and if I am I will own it. But until the day that he leaves for another job(which won't be A&M) I am going to sit on my high horse and say how dumb it is that anyone thinks he would leave. Rant over