• The KillerFrogs

ESPN Hemorrhaging

West Coast Johnny

Didn't know what Barstool sports was before I read this stuff. I looked into it and I am totally on Ponder's / ESPN's side. Seems like sports is the last bastion of sexism allowed in the country. The barstool people seem like real A-holes to me.

matmoo123

Didn't know what Barstool sports was before I read this stuff. I looked into it and I am totally on Ponder's / ESPN's side. Seems like sports is the last bastion of sexism allowed in the country. The barstool people seem like real A-holes to me.

If there’s an argument and Sam Ponder is involved, I’ll generally take her side. Other than that dork she married, she’s generally awesome.

FBallFan123

https://www.mediapost.com/publicati...rts-streaming-service-to-launch-soon-wil.html

CBS Sports Streaming Service To Launch 'Soon,' Will Focus On Sports News

Media Post said:
Unlike ESPN’s upcoming streaming service -- which will focus on sports that don’t quite fit on the linear channel -- the new CBS service will emphasize sports news and talk instead of live games.

“We do believe there is a big play in sports news, and how you get your information about sports in and on these devices, from a brand like ours,” DeBevoise said.

Media Post said:
Just as CBSN gave CBS a competitor to CNN and MSNBC, the new service sounds as if it's meant to take on the studio programming at Fox Sports 1 and ESPN. CBSN is advertising-supported, as will be the new sports service.

DeBevoise said that for CBSN, 70-75% of the audience are millennials, and the average age of viewers is 38, half that of cable news competitors like Fox News. The average age of the CBS All Access viewer is 43.

FBallFan123

I mean Ponder described what she looked like? I agree that ESPN is a bunch of hypocrites but I'm pretty sure this is the same girl that got famous for how she dressed at FSU games...

I posted it more to show Sterger is now going after some ESPN employees for past actions and comments, as are others.

ESPN once again invited this all upon themselves....

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I mean Ponder described what she looked like? I agree that ESPN is a bunch of hypocrites but I'm pretty sure this is the same girl that got famous for how she dressed at FSU games...
jennsterger-2.jpg

MTfrog5

I posted it more because Sterger is now going after ESPN employees for past comments, as are others.

ESPN once again invited this all upon themselves....

I completely agree with her calling ESPN employees out but Ponder isn't one to go after in my opinion after all this about Barstool. She quoted a tweet from 7 years ago. Ponder made it as a joke and maybe shouldn't have tweeted it, but is she really mad about how she described her? What else is she supposed to say?

Zubaz

I'm confused by Sterger's take here. Barstool's abhorrent behavior in their publishing is OK because sexual harassment took place at ESPN almost 10 years ago? Doesn't that seem to be the exact opposite of what you would think?

MTfrog5

Here is a tweet from a month ago. She's going off on twitter talking about how she has to see a counselor and can't get a job because of the ESPN stuff. I don't think she is that down in the dumps reliving her college years

MinerFrog2409

The offseason sucks
I'm confused by Sterger's take here. Barstool's abhorrent behavior in their publishing is OK because sexual harassment took place at ESPN almost 10 years ago? Doesn't that seem to be the exact opposite of what you would think?
I don't think she is saying that Barstool is ok for what they have said in the past. I think she is just saying that ESPN isn't completely innocent either.

FBallFan123

I think it's the opposite.

Her argument seems to be ESPN can't really claim any moral high ground by canceling Barstool, because of what she describes went on at her job interview (and she claims other women at ESPN have reached out to her to share their "stories").

Barstool has made the argument that they're not as bad as ESPN because they haven't had any sexual harassment claims against them.

Frankly, the whole situation is absurd because ESPN

Chico Dusty

Isn't a double standard that ESPN employees can brush off damaging comments they said years ago by saying I don't act that way anymore or I've changed - and the ammo they bring up against Barstool is something Pres said years and years ago.

FBallFan123

Am I the only one who looks at these tweets and thinks:

"Why the [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] should I or anyone else care what any of these people think or say about anything?"

Welcome to social media.

A lot of companies, especially media companies, would probably be a whole lot better off just getting their employees off the Twitter machine....but the cat seems pretty much out of the bag at this point.....many in the media seem to have become obsessed and consumed by the attention they get on social media.

Zubaz

I think it's the opposite.

Her argument seems to be ESPN can't really claim any moral high ground by canceling Barstool, because of what she describes went on at her job interview (and she claims other women at ESPN have reached out to her to share their "stories").

Barstool has made the argument that they're not as bad as ESPN because they haven't had any sexual harassment claims against them.

Frankly, the whole situation is absurd because ESPN
But again that makes no sense. Saying that ESPN doesn't have high ground doesn't make their decision to cancel Barstool wrong, even if it is a reminder that ESPN has some work to do themselves. She's criticizing them for doing the right thing just because they might have done bad things in the past, that makes no sense.

Then she retweets something from Ponder from 2010, which makes even less sense since Ponder was working at Fox at the time of that tweet, and what she said wasn't even close to harassing or anything of the sort.

Chico Dusty

But again that makes no sense. Saying that ESPN doesn't have high ground doesn't make their decision to cancel Barstool wrong, even if it is a reminder that ESPN has some work to do themselves. She's criticizing them for doing the right thing just because they might have done bad things in the past, that makes no sense.

Then she retweets something from Ponder from 2010, which makes even less sense since Ponder was working at Fox at the time of that tweet, and what she said wasn't even close to harassing or anything of the sort.

I think things are wrongly getting lumped together. Barstool has never been accused of any sexual harassment. A lot of what Ponder used to go after them was stuff from years ago. Barstool has females employees, one being their CEO - and yet no complaints of mistreatment, etc. I'm not totally defending Barstool, as they have a lot of clowns working there, but I think this social justice twitter outrage is a little out of balance.