• The KillerFrogs

ESPN Hemorrhaging

W

Way of the Frog

Welcome to social media.

A lot of companies, especially media companies, would probably be a whole lot better off just getting their employees off the Twitter machine....but the cat seems pretty much out of the bag at this point.....many in the media seem to have become obsessed and consumed by the attention they get on social media.

I worked for a firm that set restrictions on employees usage of social media and had a person in compliance who would check for the existence of sites and monitor activity.

Never bothered me and in respect to many of the media/celebs who use social media for personal "branding" purposes they should realize they aren't that smart, aren't that interesting, and less is more.

FBallFan123

But again that makes no sense. Saying that ESPN doesn't have high ground doesn't make their decision to cancel Barstool wrong, even if it is a reminder that ESPN has some work to do themselves. She's criticizing them for doing the right thing just because they might have done bad things in the past, that makes no sense.

Then she retweets something from Ponder from 2010, which makes even less sense since Ponder was working at Fox at the time of that tweet, and what she said wasn't even close to harassing or anything of the sort.

I don't see where she says ESPN canceling Barstool was wrong.

She doesn't even seem to like Barstool....."I HATE how Barstool treats women".

MAcFroggy

I feel like ESPN president is now in the same position as the NFL commissioner. He is being forced to be some sort of morality police. If they one person a punishment then people want punishment for similar behavior to be "fair". Now everybody on both sides of the issue look for every small sliver to be upset about and then scream bloody murder when punishments aren't equal.

the NFL and ESPN have now been thrown into the political arena. I think both thought they were doing the right things at times, but in modern american media people want to be able to see clearly if something is "right" or "left". Conservatives now see both as "left" and progressives see both as "right". I think they would have been better off just avoiding things altogether and let some of this stuff blow over.

FBallFan123

Isn't a double standard that ESPN employees can brush off damaging comments they said years ago by saying I don't act that way anymore or I've changed - and the ammo they bring up against Barstool is something Pres said years and years ago.

Pretty much.

I think a lot of this was due to backlash to Barstool from their own employees.

ESPN is forced to act like they didn't know what Barstool was. Don't really believe it.

But Ponder's tweet was well timed and executed.....and it forced ESPN to respond....and you know if she said that publicly, there were probably other ESPN employees complained privately.

As Barstool's Portnoy says, it shouldn't have been a surprise to them: "if it wasn't going to be her who complained, somebody else was going to comlpain. We bashed so many people over there, You'd think they would have known that."

Last edited:

Mean Purple

They pegged Ponder for reality. She had a grudge and played her card. A card that is bold considering the network she works for. The whole thing just brings Skipper's bad judgement even more into light.

The other networks are loving it right now.

FBallFan123

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-s...elt-svp-jemele-hill/1js74yxvu7l0wz8g26kdwl7nd

Sources: ESPN heading for more painful layoffs

Sporting News said:
"The next round of cutbacks could come down in late November or early December, with 40-60 positions potentially being impacted, according to sources. The layoffs could hit both on-air TV/radio talent and behind-the-scenes production staffers."

"This time it won't matter if you're 'liked' or not. It's not going to be pretty," one source warned.

JugbandFrog

Stick to sports without the political discussion, then MAYBE they will survive. I won't watch them unless there's a football game on. Oh well. Too bad for them.
It is too much about the personality, and not the games. When was the last time you sae a decent highlight of a game? No one cares about the sad sob storybof some dude’s grandpa. Just show me the details that impact the game, cover the game with some knowledge, and recap the game so I can ser what I missed.

Pharm Frog

Sources: ESPN heading for more painful layoffs

More bad news could be on the horizon for ESPN. Staffers at the Worldwide Leader in Sports are bracing for another possible round of layoffs late this year, multiple sources tell Sporting News.

The next round of cutbacks could come down in late November or early December, with 40-60 positions potentially being impacted, according to sources. The layoffs could hit both on-air TV/radio talent and behind-the-scenes production staffers.

"This time it won't matter if you're 'liked' or not. It's not going to be pretty," one source warned.

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-s...elt-svp-jemele-hill/1js74yxvu7l0wz8g26kdwl7nd

FBallFan123

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/10/26/espn-cancels-barstool-van-talk-sam-ponder-jim-miller

Off The Board: Author Jim Miller Says Resistance Within ESPN Caused Barstool Van Talk Cancellation

SI.com said:
According to Miller, one thing is very clear: The one and only reason President John Skipper abruptly ended the partnership with Barstool Sports was because of pushback from ESPN employees, led by Sam Ponder's tweets.

SI.com said:
"Some of the people I heard from were complaining and they called asking me to write something about it and I asked had gone to management yet and they had not. So let’s break that down into groups like Sam, that were very very vocal both internally and externally about the issues they had. To get to a number, there was a second group that was very, very upset with it, but had not gone to management as of yet. I think if Skipper hadn’t pulled the plug when he did, you would’ve seen, I believe there was at least one attempt to start a letter amongst employees."

SI.com said:
"I think it's a tad too simple. Sam certainly had the gumption, or according to some, the temerity. She was very decisive and very vocal and came out strong. But I think that she did that on behalf of herself. certainly. and. I haven't spoken to her about this, but I know for a fact there were many other employees, particularly women, who were very very upset with it. She was a champion for them. ... My only point is if she hadn't said it, there were other people there upset about it. Whether or not they would've had the gumption or ability to go out and do what she did, I doubt it, but it was bigger than Sam. I know for a fact that the movement to get it out there was bigger than Sam."

Wexahu

In the not-too-distant future a bi-racial transgender woman will be calling the CFP Championship between 8-6 Ohio State and 9-5 Alabama by herself from the Disney studios. That's where this is headed.