• The KillerFrogs

ESPN Hemorrhaging

4 Oaks Frog

This is entertaining. BTW, I cut the cord a couple of months ago. Getting everything I/we want, saving $$$.

Screw ESecPN - if they die, someone else will pick it up. Contracts can be re-done.

;)
I kinda thought I wanted one of the Purple College Game Day hats. I was in the bookstore yesterday to buy a gift for a friend's birthday. I saw a plethora of CGD hats at 50% off, marked down from $28 to $14. I had the hat in my hand and all I could focus on was the smallest lettering...ESPN. I just couldn't pull the trigger knowing I would be wearing a hat with that foul word on it.
Spit Blood~~<~< and [Baylor asshoe] & espn!!

ShreveFrog

Although I appreciate Gameday coming to TCU, and all the love Herbie and others are giving the Frogs, that ESPN Zone cap I bought at the Times Square restaurant 12 years ago is now my yard work cap.

FBallFan123

Interesting article for those interested in the subject....

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/10/09/Media/Sports-Media.aspx

Takeaways from the surprise Altice-ESPN carriage agreement

Ourand said:
Who won?
ESPN is the clear winner, at least based on initial reports. It averted a standoff and added SEC Network and ACC Network on a cable system that covers the New York area market. ESPN secured a rate increase for its channels and got Altice to increase its minimum household penetration threshold, sources said. But sources cautioned me from declaring ESPN as the unquestioned winner based on one open question: We still do not know specifics about where that minimum penetration threshold is and how much flexibility Altice has to launch and market lower-cost tiers that do not include ESPN. ESPN deals typically mandate that it must be on a cable operator’s most widely distributed tier. As “cord shavers” continue to migrate to skinny bundles, those most widely distributed tiers become smaller. The key to the Altice deal is finding out how ESPN addressed that situation. “The rate increase is just window dressing in comparison,” one veteran media executive said.

Ourand said:
Altice has around 2.5 million subscribers. Why does this deal matter?
This deal starts a new cycle of affiliate deals for ESPN and provides a blueprint for how those future deals will be negotiated. ESPN’s next negotiation will be with Verizon Fios at the end of 2018, followed by Spectrum in mid-2019 and AT&T in late 2019, sources said. It seems likely that those negotiations will take a similar path as Altice’s.

Ourand said:
What are the deal terms?
Here’s what we know, based on several sources with knowledge of the negotiations: The deal runs for four years and includes an annual increase of at least 6.5 percent for Disney’s suite of channels. Specifics on ESPN’s minimum household penetration guarantees are not available, but a network source said ESPN was able to increase it.
Ourand said:
What did Altice get out of the deal?
Altice will drop ESPN Classic and get more access to video-on-demand programming. While ESPN negotiated increases in rates and minimum penetration levels, it fell short of its initial ask, sources said.

Ourand said:
What’s the biggest takeaway?
Reports of the cable bundle’s death are greatly exaggerated. Cord cutting and cord shaving are happening and are a threat to the pay-TV business. But this deal suggests that distributors and programming networks will work together to try to keep the pay-TV system afloat. The pay-TV dynamic will not dramatically change for the next five to eight years, for programming that matters.

FBallFan123

What the darn was that show? Never heard of it.

I'll admit I haven't watched it either....but ESPN had just added the show to their lineup.

It aired one time, and now they've canceled it.

This is leading to a bunch of criticism of ESPN for once again appearing to not know what the heck they are doing.

It wasn't a show that was popular with everybody at ESPN, though, for sure.

One example....Sam Ponder (which led to an exchange between Ponder and the Barstool guys):

MAcFroggy

I don't really understand how ESPN could have screwed this up so badly. They knew exactly what they were getting with PFT and Big Cat as well as barstool. Seems like ESPN people are either afraid of the backlash or did not do their due diligence. Either way, this was a crappy week for ESPN.

Meanwhile, The Athletic has ruffled feathers.....

This isn't communism, capitalism means sometimes people die. Amazon and Walmart were far more ruthless on their competition than "the internet" has been, they just had the decency not to rub it in their competition's faces.

I support The Athletic, and I support my local and national papers. If either die because they can't figure out how to run a successful business in 2017, so be it.

W

Way of the Frog

Best I can gather from my "edgy sports blog" consultant aka our 24-year son it was a show basically where these guys satirically made fun of sports and other things in pop culture which tells me I didn't miss a damn thing.

FBallFan123

Best I can gather from my "edgy sports blog" consultant aka our 24-year son it was a show basically where these guys satirically made fun of sports and other things in pop culture which tells me I didn't miss a damn thing.

Yeah, I've never read or heard their content, but I do know they were on Comedy Central, and were behind this little giveaway....