• The KillerFrogs

ESPN Hemorrhaging

InstaFrog

With VUE I get the SEC, B10 and LHN as well as regional FSSW, FS1 and all ESPN. Also, with the subscription I can use the Watch ESPN and Fox Sports apps on my phone anywhere for free, all for $49 a month. I don't subscribe to the premium movie channels, I have Netflix and my Amazon Prime subscription for that. Considering I don't count the Prime membership as a video cost (I've been paying for that service for years) I only spend $62 a month for my TV/video subscription, which is just over $100 less a month than I was paying for the same channels with DTV.

Now as far as the limitations... Phormer already listed two big ones, the limit to the pause and rewind functions. I haven't quite gotten used to the one-two minute pause limit and honestly its quite silly and ridiculous for parents. For instance, my wife was watching one of those Twilight movies (yes my wife, I was in the garage building things with my hands like a man) when my 7yo barged in the room asking her a question right when an inappropriate part of the movie was playing. She was able to pause it but during the time it took them to complete their conversation the pause limit ran out and the movie began playing again. And unfortunately once the limited buffer fills up you can't simply hit pause again because you still at the end of the buffer. That feature pisses me off. However is it worth $100+ a month to go back because of pause? No.

The only other limitation is that live events (sports) are about 15-30 seconds behind other TV options (cable, satellite, terrestrial), so watching a game and being on Twitter at the same time sucks. So, I just wait until after a series or a big play to Tweet or jump on the gameday thread (when watching from home).

The pluses are the unlimited DVR capability, ease of access to on demand content, and if using the app or website the search function is super quick. If you have the bandwidth I highly suggest going with VUE, but DO NOT use a PS3 with the service, it sucks, use a PS4 or Amazon Fire TV (not the stick, the box).
Thanks.

Two more questions:

1) How's the feed/picture? Reading some reports of laggy and/or pixelation issues. Of course, it may be their ISP or plan.

2) Team Edward or Jacob?

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Thanks.

Two more questions:

1) How's the feed/picture? Reading some reports of laggy and/or pixelation issues. Of course, it may be their ISP or plan.

2) Team Edward or Jacob?

1. Picture is great, even when my son starts watching reruns of Ultimate Spiderman, my daughter turns on an episode of Jessie, and my wife is streaming one of her novellas on demand. The only issue I seem to get is when one of them starts streaming Netflix while myself and two others are watching Vue, then I can see some buffering. However, the biggest culprit in this is going to be your ISP (I'm only at 200Mbps) and the hardware used—again, don't use a PS3.

2. Neither, I prefer the deep character development and emotional range of Bella.

tumblr_muhljvgfJH1ryz70ro5_250.gif

InstaFrog

1. Picture is great, even when my son starts watching reruns of Ultimate Spiderman, my daughter turns on an episode of Jessie, and my wife is streaming one of her novellas on demand. The only issue I seem to get is when one of them starts streaming Netflix while myself and two others are watching Vue, then I can see some buffering. However, the biggest culprit in this is going to be your ISP (I'm only at 200Mbps) and the hardware used—again, don't use a PS3.

2. Neither, I prefer the deep character development and emotional range of Bella.

Thanks again for the insight.

I have a Gen 1 AFTV box and a Nvidia Shield TV. Probably invest in the new AFTV box when its released next month for other TVs. I have another 4 months left on my Frontier contract, then Adios....

That Kristen Stewart should have won an Oscar if you were able to recognize the depth of her character development and emotional range all the way from the garage with all those power tools commanding your focus.
tenor.gif

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.

200? Humble darning brag.

TxFrog1999

Thanks again for the insight.

That Kristen Stewart should have won an Oscar if you were able to recognize the depth of her character development and emotional range all the way from the garage with all those power tools commanding your focus.
tenor.gif

You're welcome. And yes, the circular saw adds a certain something to her performances.

200? Humble darning brag.

My ISP doesn't even offer the level I'm on anymore, and when they did it was only their second tier plan. I think now their plans go 100 then 300 before their premium levels.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
You're welcome. And yes, the circular saw adds a certain something to her performances.

My ISP doesn't even offer the level I'm on anymore, and when they did it was only their second tier plan. I think now their plans go 100 then 300 before their premium levels.
Man, I thought I was pimpin' with my 40. Darn you, Uverse.

TxFrog1999

Man, I thought I was pimpin' with my 40. Darn you, Uverse.
I had UVerse but their upload speeds were abhorrent, and when I had to upload a few gigs of video each week for this site it would take me hours just to post a video to YouTube or Livestream's archive. Switched to a cable company and my upload time when from hours to 15 minutes. Haven't looked back, although being grandfathered on this 200 plan has certainly helped since they changed all the plans and the price skyrocketed.

dawg

I'm no genius, but I'd wager a lot of Jerry's advertisers are also ESPN's. And the NFLs. Not really a well thought out opinion by Ms Hill...

Chieves

I'm very interested in how this impending war between Washington (and the PAC-12 to a lesser extent) and ESPN is going to unfold:
Here's a good overview, but the highlights:
  • Peterson discussed during a press conference about how having so many late night games (meaning 8 PM Pacific Time) was a real burden on fans, teams, and the university. I think it's an interesting perspective considering how many on this site jones for a night game every week, but that's another topic.
  • During TCU's Gameday on Saturday, Herbstreit jumps right back into heel territory by essentially saying that Washington should be grateful to ESPN for even deigning to air them in the first place.
  • During Washington's game that night, ESPN put up an infograph explaining that #AfterDark Pac-12 games average 35% more viewers. That's really it, and it is one of the most misleading stats imaginable.
  • ESPN's field monkey then illustrated Washington's OOC schedule with 3 cupcakes on the field. Let's ignore that Alabama also played one of those teams used in the example.
All in all, ESPN acted like a whiny, petulant baby when called out by a team, and then used their platform to act like a schoolyard bully (or politician) and try to dogpile on Washington the rest of the day. They obviously feel threatened, and are trying to attack any sort of dissent instead of looking at their own issues and fixing them.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I'm no genius, but I'd wager a lot of Jerry's advertisers are also ESPN's. And the NFLs. Not really a well thought out opinion by Ms Hill...

Not terribly well thought out by ESPN, either. They kept the useless [ hundin] on the payroll, knowing race-baiting was her only recognizable skill, and, well, go-olll-ly! Robert Skipper may scoop the pathetic Roger Goodell for Most Incompetent Head Cheese...

InstaFrog

I had UVerse but their upload speeds were abhorrent, and when I had to upload a few gigs of video each week for this site it would take me hours just to post a video to YouTube or Livestream's archive. Switched to a cable company and my upload time when from hours to 15 minutes. Haven't looked back, although being grandfathered on this 200 plan has certainly helped since they changed all the plans and the price skyrocketed.
If nothing else, having streaming options gives consumers some ammunition against skyrocketing cable and sat costs. Frontier just gave me a 20% cut, after telling me there was nothing they could about my ever increasing bill, when I told them Vue will give me everything they are and save me a $100/month. Ten minutes later a 20% monthly credit for the balance of my contract was discovered...