• The KillerFrogs

Zach Evans & Ochaun Mathis - week 2

hornedfrog86

Mathis got double teamed and the DTs weren't good enough to take advantage of it. I like Evans, too, but he may be a better fit for Kiffin.

Eight

He told me. I said that in op

missed it, then if you know zach you know $500K is a great deal of money for a kid from the ship channel, especially one carrying a great deal of family expectations, and who lost the one true source of guidance in his life when his grandfather died his senior year in high school

friend who coaches/teaches at north shore has said after his grandfather died that is when the troubles with jay started and that zach is very smart, but has a few people in the family who are not the best influence

sure he isn't getting the same treatment at ole miss he got at tcu last year, but the tcu program isn't the same as well. get the feeling the special treatment that some got has ended

Wexahu

Mathis was 2nd team all B12 the past two years so the coaches thought he was something. Think he led the team in sacks last year. Hard to say he wasn’t good.

Their draft stock can go down if they transfer to a lousy team and program. Those schools could underutilize them and no be as good at developing talent. Plus easier to lose motivation on a team losing a bunch.

I get it on Zach. Missing so many games with a “toe injury” to protect himself isn't the kind of guy I want on team.
I don’t think draft stock gets impacted much at all. The NFL will find you and dissect your strengths and weaknesses no matter where you play.

westoverhillbilly

I'd love to know the delta between what the difference in NIL money was for Zach between TCU and Ole Miss.
Visited Zach this summer in Oxford and he said he really missed DFW (city life vs small town).
We went to Oxford a few years ago for a wedding with a minority couple, the husband had been a police officer here and he was concerned for his and his wife's safety when we were headed to some bar just outside of town.. This was something I never thought about but evidently minorities do in Mississippi.

Rabidfrog

I'd love to know the delta between what the difference in NIL money was for Zach between TCU and Ole Miss.

We went to Oxford a few years ago for a wedding with a minority couple, the husband had been a police officer here and he was concerned for his and his wife's safety when we were headed to some bar just outside of town.. This was something I never thought about but evidently minorities do in Mississippi.
oh yeah.

PineyWoodsFrog

Arguably our two best players were bought by other teams in NIL last Spring. I got to know them at TCU and really like them both personally and pulling for them. Visited Zach this summer in Oxford and he said he really missed DFW (city life vs small town).

So far Ole Miss has played cupcakes Troy and Central Arkansas. He’s only got 1 TD and 180 yards. I was expecting more and I know he regrets his decision.

I haven’t seen Mathis since he left, but Nebraska seems like a dumpster fire with fans chanting to fire coach in second game of season. He stopped posting on social media last week. Nebraska loss to Georgia Southern was embarrassing.

Over the last 20 years, I can think of dozens of players that transferred out of TCU. But most didn’t do well. Hopefully this a lesson to future players about “grass isn’t greener on the other side.”

I get that they paid more money. But money isn’t everything and if your draft stock falls 30 spots was the extra $500k worth it?
We have to stop being critical of players who are choosing to go where the money is. Everybody's situation isn't the same. Some people have families that are in not-so-good situations and the money is necessary for them. We leave jobs for higher-paying jobs and it's okay. So, why knock these players for doing the same?

Ron Swanson

Mississippi is different. My grandparents raised my mom and her 5 siblings in Jacksonville, TX. Grandpa was offered much more money (as an engineer) to take a job in Mississippi but he wouldn’t do it because he didn’t want to raise his kids around that kind of racism.

Keep in mind, they were in east TX in the 60’s, not 2022 Los Angeles.

Last edited: