• The KillerFrogs

Zach Evans & Ochaun Mathis - week 2

Goo

Arguably our two best players were bought by other teams in NIL last Spring. I got to know them at TCU and really like them both personally and pulling for them. Visited Zach this summer in Oxford and he said he really missed DFW (city life vs small town).

So far Ole Miss has played cupcakes Troy and Central Arkansas. He’s only got 1 TD and 180 yards. I was expecting more and I know he regrets his decision.

I haven’t seen Mathis since he left, but Nebraska seems like a dumpster fire with fans chanting to fire coach in second game of season. He stopped posting on social media last week. Nebraska loss to Georgia Southern was embarrassing.

Over the last 20 years, I can think of dozens of players that transferred out of TCU. But most didn’t do well. Hopefully this a lesson to future players about “grass isn’t greener on the other side.”

I get that they paid more money. But money isn’t everything and if your draft stock falls 30 spots was the extra $500k worth it?

“Is the extra $500k worth it?”

If you grew up poor in a tough neighborhood, with a single parent working multiple jobs to put food on the table, you’d answer that question in precisely one scheissing second with zero hesitation.

Most of these kids don’t think, outside of an athletic career, they’d ever see that kind of money, in part due to a fear they wouldn’t live long enough to earn it. That’s their world.

FrogUltimate

Mathis had 3 sacks against Tech’s 3rd string tackle in 2020 and he coasted on that one game for quite awhile. His other results were middling at best.
I suspect Mathis leaving TCU was more or less a mutual decision. A 6’4” 245lb DE has no place in our defense and he sort of sucked anyways.

Eight

Arguably our two best players were bought by other teams in NIL last Spring. I got to know them at TCU and really like them both personally and pulling for them. Visited Zach this summer in Oxford and he said he really missed DFW (city life vs small town).

So far Ole Miss has played cupcakes Troy and Central Arkansas. He’s only got 1 TD and 180 yards. I was expecting more and I know he regrets his decision.

I haven’t seen Mathis since he left, but Nebraska seems like a dumpster fire with fans chanting to fire coach in second game of season. He stopped posting on social media last week. Nebraska loss to Georgia Southern was embarrassing.

Over the last 20 years, I can think of dozens of players that transferred out of TCU. But most didn’t do well. Hopefully this a lesson to future players about “grass isn’t greener on the other side.”

I get that they paid more money. But money isn’t everything and if your draft stock falls 30 spots was the extra $500k worth it?

explain how their draft stock is going to fall? mathis' stock has to go up before it can go down unless fall means something else and how do you know zach regrets his decision?

Goo

Mathis was 2nd team all B12 the past two years so the coaches thought he was something. Think he led the team in sacks last year. Hard to say he wasn’t good.

Their draft stock can go down if they transfer to a lousy team and program. Those schools could underutilize them and no be as good at developing talent. Plus easier to lose motivation on a team losing a bunch.

I get it on Zach. Missing so many games with a “toe injury” to protect himself isn't the kind of guy I want on team.

Goo

I care because I don’t want our top players being bought by other teams every year. Hopefully, this was a couple guys that didn’t fit here and not the start of a trend. Talking with Zach, I think he regrets it and hope others think twice about NIL transfer offers.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I care because I don’t want our top players being bought by other teams every year. Hopefully, this was a couple guys that didn’t fit here and not the start of a trend. Talking with Zach, I think he regrets it and hope others think twice about NIL transfer offers.
It is going to happen again and again. We will also pick up some. Welcome to the new CFB. Who cares if he regrets it. He did it.

Eight

Mathis was 2nd team all B12 the past two years so the coaches thought he was something. Think he led the team in sacks last year. Hard to say he wasn’t good.

Their draft stock can go down if they transfer to a lousy team and program. Those schools could underutilize them and no be as good at developing talent. Plus easier to lose motivation on a team losing a bunch.

I get it on Zach. Missing so many games with a “toe injury” to protect himself isn't the kind of guy I want on team.

he tied dylan horton last year with 4 sacks so we aren't exactly talking in the same caliber as hughes or freshman year fields, but he did have 9 in the covid season

he wasn't good against the run as seen by iowa state the last three years, kstate, wvu, and ou

part of that very well could have been what he was being asked to do, but when you are part of a defense that gave up over 200 yards a game and 5.8 ypc you didn't have a very good year.

the funny part is what you describe about draft stock dropping is the very thing we saw from mathis from year 2020 to 2021 and he wasn'r a fit in the frogs new defense.

you still didn't say how you know zach regrets his decision to move to ole miss

Latest posts