• The KillerFrogs

You've got to be excited for Ft. Worth, our partner

If you could move the hills, Lake Travis, and Lake Austin to Fort Worth I would be up there in a heart beat. I'm sure Fort Worth has a great music scene, especially for country and blues, but to think it has more quality then Austin would be crazy talk.. Austin is the music capitol of the world, not just Texas.

The key is quality. ATX has FW beaten in quantity but if you go to some random venue in Austin you're more likely to hear worse music than in FW. Austin is full of Tom, Dick, and Harrys with a guitar, three power chords, and a kickdrum. Fort Worth musicians didn't come to Fort Worth b/c that's where everyone else goes to make it.

Sure, if you want to compare the top of the list then ATX wins. Fort Worth hasn't produced a Lucinda Williams, Nancy Griffith, Don Walsner, Doug Sahm, etc. but right here, right now I think pound for pound Fort Worth has a better scene. Austin has more bands and more venues but it doesn't necessarily make it better.

HFrog1999

You mean that Craig James did not kill five hookers?

It is untrue that Craig James killed five hookers while at SMU. However, there has been a sharp decrease in the number of hookers in Dallas.

Not Craig James.

annie-run5.gif

my senior year in spring 2010, when I was looking for a job with a mechanical engineering degree... i thought to myself "I can pretty much get a job anywhere in Texas"... so where do I want to live? Fort Worth

I'm so glad I decided to stay in FW and don't plan on leaving anytime soon.... Best place to live in Texas

I work in the music industry, and the quality of the bands in Fort Worth and Austin are much closer than you realize. Any time someone associates country and blues with Fort Worth, I chuckle. The Dallas Observer's music awards this year are littered with indie rock bands from Fort Worth. In my opinion, the best thing we have going right now is a strong rap/hip-hop element.

Austin has a much better infrastructure for music and the "live music capitol" tag, which means it sees better touring acts. SXSW is probably the world's premier music event. Don't get me wrong, I love Austin music, but if I had to throw away all of my CDs from current Austin or Fort Worth bands, I'd easily say see you later 512.

If you ask any successful musician in Fort Worth (who obviously plays Austin regularly) if they would like to relocate down 35, you'd get a no every time. Fort Worth is cheaper and in a lot of ways, more supportive of local music. The above poster claiming that his friend's music career is better off for being in Fort Worth is on point.

Great evaluation.

My friend has been tempted to move to Austin for a couple years. He's been based out of Denton his entire career and has enjoyed some decent success throughout Texas. We've all been pushing him towards Fort Worth the last few years. There's many guys in his scene who have chosen to either stay or relocate to FW and he'd be better served to make connections here. It doesn't hurt that one of the most successful radio stations that plays his music is based here as well.

I'd like to hear Snowski's thoughts on the FW scene. I know he plays around here a lot and I'm sure I'll run into him eventually.

As a side note, I'm really looking forward to what the Moon will do with their Ridglea location. The owner is a TCU grad and one of my friends, an SMU grad, is going in as a business partner on the new location. They'll be working with the guy that bought the Ridglea Theater a while back and hopefully turn that place into the Granada of Fort Worth.

ATXFrog

I work in the music industry, and the quality of the bands in Fort Worth and Austin are much closer than you realize. Any time someone associates country and blues with Fort Worth, I chuckle. The Dallas Observer's music awards this year are littered with indie rock bands from Fort Worth. In my opinion, the best thing we have going right now is a strong rap/hip-hop element.

Austin has a much better infrastructure for music and the "live music capitol" tag, which means it sees better touring acts. SXSW is probably the world's premier music event. Don't get me wrong, I love Austin music, but if I had to throw away all of my CDs from current Austin or Fort Worth bands, I'd easily say see you later 512.

If you ask any successful musician in Fort Worth (who obviously plays Austin regularly) if they would like to relocate down 35, you'd get a no every time. Fort Worth is cheaper and in a lot of ways, more supportive of local music. The above poster claiming that his friend's music career is better off for being in Fort Worth is on point.

While a musician in Fort Worth may have an easier time booking gigs and making a living, that doesn't mean from a music listener point of view I'd rather be in Fort Worth. I have options every day of the week in Austin from local and national acts. I don't care for rap/hip-hop so have no idea if Austin scene is lacking. It probably does..

Screaming Flea

Fred's was one of the deciding factors for one of my friend's move. Fort Worth has become Burger Town and Fred's is at the top of the list. I can't tell you how many 100+ degree days this summer were spent sitting on the patio eating the best burger and drinking the coldest beer.

When people come to town I take them to Fred's for lunch and La Familia (right around the corner) for dinner. La Familia's Turnerita is the best drink in town.

That hole in the wall is unique. I found it on the tv show Diners, Drive Inns and Dives. Since then, when I can get in, Fred's is the burger place.
And one of the best Tex-Mex food establishments in town is La Familia. If they don't greet you like a long lost friend when you enter, somebody' is sick.

That hole in the wall is unique. I found it on the tv show Diners, Drive Inns and Dives. Since then, when I can get in, Fred's is the burger place.
And one of the best Tex-Mex food establishments in town is La Familia. If they don't greet you like a long lost friend when you enter, somebody' is sick.

The new Fred's location just doesn't have the same flavor...I guess that's what 30 years of grease does to a grill.

IMHO, LF is the best, hands-down. You're right about the greeting. When the younger, middle-aged guy is running the front he makes you feel like a rockstar. He's a dirty sonofagun too, esp if your lady orders a Turnerita. They've done a great job with the expansion. The chicken fajita chimichanga with tomatillo sauce is like manna from heaven.

The new Fred's location just doesn't have the same flavor...I guess that's what 30 years of grease does to a grill.

IMHO, LF is the best, hands-down. You're right about the greeting. When the younger, middle-aged guy is running the front he makes you feel like a rockstar. He's a dirty sonofagun too, esp if your lady orders a Turnerita. They've done a great job with the expansion. The chicken fajita chimichanga with tomatillo sauce is like manna from heaven.

LF is overrated... may need to give it another shot but I got the chimichanga and it was average and bland nothing crazy about it..

Froggy Style

Good thread on Ft. Worth getting a jolt. Folks in Austin like coming to Ft. Worth and the feeling should be mutual. Both cities have a lot of character and are two fantastic places to go for music, food, drink, and football.

Neither city is alike in the experience, but very similar in the the unique experience to their respective cities. Both are true to themselves.

Good thread on Ft. Worth getting a jolt. Folks in Austin like coming to Ft. Worth and the feeling should be mutual. Both cities have a lot of character and are two fantastic places to go for music, food, drink, and football.

Neither city is alike in the experience, but very similar in the the unique experience to their respective cities. Both are true to themselves.

True... I go to Austin to get hammered... I've never spent a sober night in Austin.. FW is for good times and chillin with good friends..

Try it with the tomatillo sauce. I see most people get it with the chile con queso and it's not quite as good. In fact, no matter what I order I make sure to get a ramikkin (sp?) of tomatillo sauce.

thanks for the heads up will do.... may I recommend La Playa Maya off Hempill and Berry (the original) .. Cowboy Taco's are my fave with a schooner of frozen margarita and some queso flameado con chorizo.. WOW and dont forget the sopapilla's with cinnamon ice cream

fanforlife

While a musician in Fort Worth may have an easier time booking gigs and making a living, that doesn't mean from a music listener point of view I'd rather be in Fort Worth. I have options every day of the week in Austin from local and national acts. I don't care for rap/hip-hop so have no idea if Austin scene is lacking. It probably does..

Fort Worth also has great options every night of the week - way more than any out-of-towner realizes. Compared to Austin, the audiences listen more actively and generally give the artists more support. The talent level here is incredible.

Austin does get a much better touring lineup, but, as Phormer posted, the Moon/Ridglea reopening will deliver more national acts to a venue 10 minutes from the TCU campus. The guy that owns the Moon is a TCU grad and a big supporter of Fort Worth music.

Check out EPIC RUINS, whose name is an apt description for the music. It is a project spearheaded by two TCU guys, including Jordan Richardson, who drums for Ben Harper. voidmariner.com

Another of my Fort Worth favorites is Luke Wade and No Civilians, which is more folksy: http://www.myspace.com/lukewadeandnocivilians

Deep Purple

Austin is the music capitol of the world, not just Texas.
:rolleyes:

Quick! Alert Memphis, Nashville, Los Angeles, Seattle, Chicago, Detroit, San Francisco, New York, Miami, New Orleans, London, Liverpool, Berlin, Vienna, Barcelona, Moscow, Montreal, Toronto, and Sydney. Austin is the music capital of the world! :eek:hmy:

HG73

Need to put FW on the back or our helmets. Small, western letters, make TV viewers wonder what it means. Our home town.

Count me as one that really does not care for Austin. Traffic is terrible and the city has a lot of panhandlers. Throw in all of the liberal environmentalist Californians and bicycle lanes and the city is a mess. In some respects, I do not feel like I am in Texas when I visit Austin. Quite frankly, I am glad I do not live near there.

As for Dallas, there are aspects of it I really appreciate even though I would not want to live over there. Northpark Mall is one of the best malls in the state and might be one of the best in the country as well. WIllow Bend up in Plano is not bad either. The malls here in Fort Worth do not compare very well to Dallas. My favorite mall in Tarrant County is either Northeast Mall or Grapevine Mills Mall. Dallas also has some very good international restaurant although Fort Worth is catching up real fast. Dallas certainly has better strip clubs to throw a bachelor party than
Fort Worth. The best thing about them is the fact that they have cool VIP areas and are smoke free.

As for Fort Worth, the city was one of the main factors in me choosing to go off to TCU. It gives me the fun of the city while still being relatively close to East Texas if I have to go back there for family / financial matters. As for how Fort Worth is now, there are aspects of it that has improved dramatically since the 90's. The Cultural District and Downtown are two great happening places. The downside now is that traffic is worse and some people are trying to make it like Austin. Honestly, I really do not envision myself living here 20 years from now even though I have lived here for 20 years.