• The KillerFrogs

Your under rated TCU sports moments

anom

My favorite most under-rated moment is TCU losing to Utah in 2008. That loss hurt SO bad, it took an off season to get over it, but looking back at it now, that loss propelled TCU's next 2 seasons in my opinion. Our team was ready every single game we played (maybe take out SMU for that) but it was a transition moment from going from a really really good team, to a great team that we have become

TCU2002

I have always felt that a seriously underrated win was in 1998 football over Tulsa. That was the Sun Bowl year, and the Frogs had a surprise 4-1 start before losing 4 in a row (SMU, Colorado State, Wyoming, Rice). Sitting at 4-5, the Frogs went to Tulsa and won an ugly game 17-7.

Snapping that losing streak and winning on the road led the Frogs to win at UNLV the following week, which made the Frogs bowl eligible, which opened the door for Chancellor Ferrari et al. to woo the Sun Bowl committee (who did not want to take a future MWC team like 8-3 Wyoming or 8-4 Colorado State after UTEP got left behind), which of course gave us the chance to beat heavily-favored USC and re-launch TCU football.

Lose in Tulsa on a rainy day in a mostly empty Skelly Stadium, and none of it happens.

tcudoc

2000 game against Northwestern. Since I missed LT's 406 game, I felt like this was about as close to it as he could come. If the refs had not taken away two 70+ yard runs, he may have come close to the 406. He was running wild that afternoon against the eventual big 10 co-champ. I still recall the Frog Horn blowing so much smoke as the 3rd quarter began, that it settled at mid field in the dead calm of the no breeze day and was there for most of the 3rd quarter.

A close second was the Louisville field goal attempt/cross bar game. Bitter cold night and the wind picked up just as he kicked it. Awesome game.

Also, the fight after the Memphis game where brawls kept breaking out. Just when you thought it was done, a new fight started. Pretty awesome stuff. Lots of cheap shots that night by Memphis players.

In addition, the Dorito throwing Cincy game was a pretty electric atmosphere.

West Texas Frog

TCU 78, Houston 77 in 4 OTs, 1980 when UH was really good--Jeff Baker led with 24 pts and Darrell Browder played all 60 minutes of the game.

It was one of the first college basketball games on ESPN and they replayed it dozens of times.

Hey, I was at the game too (junior year at TCU)!!! Classic game against Olajuwon, Drexler and Company before they later became known as Phi Slamma Jamma.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
The first was my freshman year - we played UT Arlington on the same day as a football game, so it served as a good way to waste time before the real event - the Frogs won in double OT (kinda sad, but still) and got me amped for the eventual beatdown of SDSU(?) in the afternoon.
RSF and I were at that game. There could not have been more than 150 people there. It turned out to be a great game, though. We beat SDSU later that day something like 59-0; Ballard was literally almost perfect. Those are still the last two sporting events I saw live on campus. I want to get down for a football game in 2012 to see the new ACS.

frogteacher70

so nicely written. that is the story of TCU football--the believing in the face of what looks like certain defeat.
Long ago in Wacker's first season, the Frogs went down to Austin to play the #2 ranked 'Horns. The Frogs were given no chance and the Longhorn faithful were looking for another 70 point blowout. But, Coach Jim Wacker had other plans...

The Frogs had managed only one win that season, along with a couple of ties. However, the record does not tell the difference in the play or the spirit of the Frogs. There was a sea change from the dismal '82 season to the exuberance of the Wacker era. No matter what, Coach Wacker had his kids believing in themselves, and this day he had them believing that they had an upset in their hands.

Beautiful day. Noon kickoff on Raycom Sports. The Frogs came out hitting. The defense was magnificent, stuffing the Horns on series after series. They forced two fumbles right up into the air which were returned for TDs, which was important. At that time, a fumble recovered on the ground was a dead-ball, and the TCU offense was still getting the timing of Wacker's Veer offense down and we couldn't do much on the ground either.

The officials gave UT a couple of calls that put them in field goal range right before the half. With the kick, it was TCU 14- UT 3 at halftime. The UT faithful were muttering things about "...cockroaches..." and reaching for their Tums. The TCU Showgirls made the famous "HORNED FROG PREID" spelling in front of the Band during the halftime show. I carried a Tuba.

In the second half, TCU was running out of steam. We couldn't get a drive going and the Defense was staying on the field way too long. UT scored again, and again. Late in the 4th, it was TCU 14- UT 17. The Frogs got the ball back with just under 2 minutes.

It was there that the Wacker Era began. The Offense began to methodically move the ball. it was seemingly inexorable. With every first down the UT folk groaned just a little louder. There was desperation in many eyes. With under a minute, TCU had a first and goal at the UT 1.

The Longhorn faithful had put down the Tums and were reaching for the nitro tablets...

First down, no gain. Second down, we got in but the officials didn't give it to us. Third down, sweep left, no gain. Now came the decisive moment.

Wacker had gone for the tie twice previously. This time, he had #2 UT on the ropes. In a classy decision, he went for it. We were stuffed. Final score TCU 14- UT 17.

Yeah, we lost. But even in losing, we played toe-to-toe with probably the best team in the land. The UT bench cleared and their guys were out hugging our guys. To say it was a great football game is to damn the effort with faint praise. This was a example of the game at its best, from a team which had been left for dead for 20 years.

The kids now believed in Jim Wacker, and in themselves. The next season, 1984, was one of the best in TCU history simply because the Frogs literally rose from the long sleep of the dead and put themselves back on the map. Like Liverlips said of the Sun Bowl, it is good to be there at the beginning, and this was one of those beginnings, if not the beginning.

Frog89

God bless the memory of Jim Wacker.

Speaking of another great Jim Wacker moment.....In 1990, we beat Arkansas 54-26. Long bomb after long bomb -run & shoot offense back then. Hog fans had mostly left their stadium by end of 3rd quarter. Previous year Barry Foster had come into Ft. Worth and run all over us in a lopsided Hog win. It was nice to return the favor the next year in their own house.

Frog DJ

Also, the fight after the Memphis game where brawls kept breaking out. Just when you thought it was done, a new fight started. Pretty awesome stuff. Lots of cheap shots that night by Memphis players.
That was the last TCU game my Dad attended, because he just couldn't walk well enough, and he was too stubborn to let me push him in wheelchair.

After we got home I asked him what he thought of the game, and he said, "The fight was the best part."

He passed away almost 2 years ago at the age of 90 - still rooting for TCU!

Go Frogs!

shenanigans

1997 or 1998 - James Penny dunk over two Baylor players...just a classic Penny dunk and greatness over two guys...do we still have a basketball team?

1998 - huge bball win over #15 UNM, loudest DMN has ever been