• The KillerFrogs

You think the O-line is sick and tired...

PO Frog

I focused on this the night of the game into the wee hours of the morning, imploring others to re-watch certain plays and giving time stamps to help out. I was in shock that we could have so many plays in which linemen literally didn't make contact with any defenders. I just don't or can't believe it can be chalked up to effort or softness. Hell, Collins clearly wants to hit someone since he seems to do it after the whistle so often.

The only conclusion I can draw from all of this is that as a whole, they don't know who to block and thus are paralyzed into inaction. It still baffles me because, as my dad always taught me, if I didn't know who to block, hit somebody! Is a zone blocking scheme too complicated for these guys? If so, will it get better with communication and experience? I get that we are young, but Dumbar has been in the system for years, Collins has more than 10 starts under his belt, and Big V does too. If they don't have it by now, they aren't going to get it.

None of this gets the play calling off the hook, but with that sort of o-line play, the play call won't matter and your skill players have to be better than everybody else on the field, which is not the case for us.

PO Frog said:
I focused on this the night of the game into the wee hours of the morning, imploring others to re-watch certain plays and giving time stamps to help out. I was in shock that we could have so many plays in which linemen literally didn't make contact with any defenders. I just don't or can't believe it can be chalked up to effort or softness. Hell, Collins clearly wants to hit someone since he seems to do it after the whistle so often.

The only conclusion I can draw from all of this is that as a whole, they don't know who to block and thus are paralyzed into inaction. It still baffles me because, as my dad always taught me, if I didn't know who to block, hit somebody! Is a zone blocking scheme too complicated for these guys? If so, will it get better with communication and experience? I get that we are young, but Dumbar has been in the system for years, Collins has more than 10 starts under his belt, and Big V does too. If they don't have it by now, they aren't going to get it.

None of this gets the play calling off the hook, but with that sort of o-line play, the play call won't matter and your skill players have to be better than everybody else on the field, which is not the case for us.

I agree with all that but don't you have to put some of it at least on the OC's and their preparation of the team.  It's called Coordinating.  It's why I keep saying the problem with the offense is systemic.  There is a lot more to being the OC than just calling plays which is also something they have done a poor job with.

PO Frog

Most definitely agree. I think the OC is atrocious with play calling, setting up plays, preparing our players (mainly QB) to attack weaknesses of the defense, etc. My concern is that until the blocking improves, it will be difficult to judge the merits of a new coordinator as well, and we will enter the endless cycle of new coordinators without addressing the underlying issue with blocking. Hard to be a good OC with no blocking.

cdsfrog

TCURiggs said:
There would be a lot less "Boykin needs to go/Matthews needs to start" talk if everyone would re-watch the game and pay close attention to the line. The play calling was obviously poor, but it's pretty shocking to focus on the line every play. It has been for me anyway 

Boykin needs to play better and start going through progressions but definitely count me out of the Matthews needs to start group. We have no idea if he would be better. Based on past results in the same situation you would expect worse.

We have heard for 2 1/2 years that the line needs to grow up. Do it already.

As for Boykin, he needs to be patient. Even if it means rolling outside the pocket to buy himself some time. He bailed out of the pocket and ran 20 times against tech. 9 of those were designed runs

FrogGrillz

Jake102 said:

It is. I really don't understand the lack of effort. That's the part that bugs me. It's one thing to not be good, but it's another to compound that with not giving any sort of effort. The gif in my signature is hard to watch in real time... absolutely no effort given by Collins to stop the inside rush. And this is after Collins had spent the entire 2nd half resting on the bench. 

Naff just got blown up a few times. Dunbar has no clue who to block on running plays. If a defender isn't running straight at Dunbar, he's lost. He is a pretty solid pass blocker though. 

Hunt is solid. He will be a really good one for us. Makes some mistakes, but probably our best OL. 

Tausch is a lot better this year IMO. I'm happy there. 

Vaitai is a hair better than Collins. He gives a lot better of an effort, but has a lot less talent at this point. 

Anyways... I did think QB play was poor though... even with OL and play calling. I re-watched it another time and just focused on Boykin every snap. A few times after the play they showed the camera angle from right behind the QB or bird's eye view and he didn't see or bailed on the pocket a few times when there were wide open receivers that would have been 3rd down conversions. 

RB was the only position that played decently against Tech IMO. WRs played better than I remembered from what I could tell when I re-watched... hard to tell though when you can't see the entire field. 

After re-watching our offense four times now, I'd give grades of:

QB: C-
RB: B+
OL: F
WR: C+
TE: I think they play defense now

you "dont understand the lack of effort?"  Just watch the past few games and the body language inherent in the players, not to mention the discipline in regards to penalties and tantrums, etc..  Compare that to premier programs, or even that of Baylor last weekend: those players simply *look* like they are playing happy and excited to be there.  Nothing for nothing, but TCU players look like they are playing only reluctantly, almost as if they had to or as if they were just serving out a sentence.   I dont say that lightly.

This could mean many things, but one thing that seems apparent is that Patterson has lost them. A main job of a coach is to get the players to "buy in" to the system, and this clearly has not happened, for whatever reason.  He may be great at selling tickets or selling recruits on TCU, but he clearly has not been able to sell the players on the system.  Whatever it is, its not working thus far.  I hope I am wrong, and that the next several weeks prove me wrong,but so far all the data has been consistent with this theme. If he can't get the kids to buy in, then he really isnt truly doing his job, and its time to think about how to right the ship.

PhillyFrog

I strongly recommend this post as the official "Worst of the Day".  

Pending the next post from Steelfrog, of course.

FrogGrillz said:

you "dont understand the lack of effort?"  Just watch the past few games and the body language inherent in the players, not to mention the discipline in regards to penalties and tantrums, etc..  Compare that to premier programs, or even that of Baylor last weekend: those players simply *look* like they are playing happy and excited to be there.  Nothing for nothing, but TCU players look like they are playing only reluctantly, almost as if they had to or as if they were just serving out a sentence.   I dont say that lightly.

This could mean many things, but one thing that seems apparent is that Patterson has lost them. A main job of a coach is to get the players to "buy in" to the system, and this clearly has not happened, for whatever reason.  He may be great at selling tickets or selling recruits on TCU, but he clearly has not been able to sell the players on the system.  Whatever it is, its not working thus far.  I hope I am wrong, and that the next several weeks prove me wrong,but so far all the data has been consistent with this theme. If he can't get the kids to buy in, then he really isnt truly doing his job, and its time to think about how to right the ship.

bsquared63

Thanks to the O-line experts here enlightening us on their absolute speculation as to why we had a bad game...again.  Thanks for breaking it down and again bashing our players...again.  You guys know nothing as to why this happened and unfortunately instead of trying to have a logical thought about why things were hard against Tech you go after effort which is BS.  Loads of crap from a bunch of crybabies...again.  This board is becoming miserable.  I wish I could have my membership fees back.  I didn't pay to read the same things everyday.  This message board is embarrassing.

TCURiggs

Walter Sobchak said:
Thanks to the O-line experts here enlightening us on their absolute speculation as to why we had a bad game...again.  Thanks for breaking it down and again bashing our players...again.  You guys know nothing as to why this happened and unfortunately instead of trying to have a logical thought about why things were hard against Tech you go after effort which is BS.  Loads of crap from a bunch of crybabies...again.  This board is becoming miserable.  I wish I could have my membership fees back.  I didn't pay to read the same things everyday.  This message board is embarrassing.

I was just shocked at how many assignments were blown. I'm far from an o-line expert but I know you're not supposed to be pass blocking on a run play to your side on 4th and 1. I think the number of blown assignments, penalties, etc... are fair to question and discuss on a message board when it's been going on for quite a while now. I wouldn't question their effort though, as I think that's pretty ridiculous as well. I have a hard time believing that anyone is going to go out there and not try to play well. Having said all of that, I don't have a logical thought on why we're still seeing so much sloppy play there. It's more of the same from last year. If you happen to be an o-line expert, please fill us in

jake102

Walter Sobchak said:

Then enlighten us with your expert opinion for God's sake. 

bsquared63

Jake102 said:

Then enlighten us with your expert opinion for God's sake. 

I'm good.  I'd rather sit back and watch the meltdowns.  Go watch the LSU game and tell me the O-line sucked.  Has it ever occurred to any of you that Tech might have a decent defense and they might have confused up front with different looks and packages from what we studied in film all week?  On your .gif above it shows the LT getting beat on an inside move.  What kind of D-line uses an inside move when there is no outside contain?  Yeah the tackle got fooled but I don't think it makes sense against a mobile QB to send your end on an inside move with no outside contain help.   I am not here to enlighten.   I am just here to wait for the next batch of griping.

bsquared63

TCURiggs said:

I was just shocked at how many assignments were blown. I'm far from an o-line expert but I know you're not supposed to be pass blocking on a run play to your side on 4th and 1. I think the number of blown assignments, penalties, etc... are fair to question and discuss on a message board when it's been going on for quite a while now. I wouldn't question their effort though, as I think that's pretty ridiculous as well. I have a hard time believing that anyone is going to go out there and not try to play well. Having said all of that, I don't have a logical thought on why we're still seeing so much sloppy play there. It's more of the same from last year. If you happen to be an o-line expert, please fill us in
it will get better...the sloppy play is a number of things...mostly movement and different looks from Tech. 

jake102

Walter Sobchak said:
 This board is becoming miserable.  I wish I could have my membership fees back. I didn't pay to read the same things everyday.  

Walter Sobchak said:
I'd rather sit back and watch the meltdowns.   I am just here to wait for the next batch of griping.

It's like you're two different people! 

And thanks for at least partially explaining... although I think you are making excuses for poor play. Bama or aTm LT would never get eat by a Tech 3-man rush.. inside move or not. 

bsquared63

Jake102 said:

And thanks for at least partially explaining... although I think you are making excuses for poor play. Bama or aTm LT would never get eat by a Tech 3-man rush.. inside move or not. 
Were not Bama or aTm.  I don't know why that is so hard for you to grasp.  I am like 2 different people.  I am sick of the O-line crap, but can't wait to see who the next group to take the KillerFrogs heat is.  Who is it gonna be next?  DL?  QB?  That is the fun part...watching you guys flounder around and try to blame your anger for losing on something, and actually trying to justify it with dumb explanations.

bsquared63

Jake102 said:

oh yeah atm's LT is also a first rounder.

jake102

Walter Sobchak said:
Were not Bama or aTm.  I don't know why that is so hard for you to grasp.  I am like 2 different people.  I am sick of the O-line crap, but can't wait to see who the next group to take the KillerFrogs heat is.  Who is it gonna be next?  DL?  QB?  That is the fun part...watching you guys flounder around and try to blame your anger for losing on something, and actually trying to justify it with dumb explanations.

Walter Sobchak said:
oh yeah atm's LT is also a first rounder.

Don't we want to be Bama or aTm? Do we not want our LT to be a 1st rounder?  I mean, what are expectations? 7-5 seasons? If we're shooting for 7-5 seasons and hopefully put together a senior laden team and pull out a 10 win season every five to six years, then hell, call us Texas Tech.

And to be honest, I know we aren't Bama nor aTm, and I don't expect us to be like Bama, nobody is. But I think we should be a lot closer to Bama than we are to Iowa State.

bsquared63

Jake102 said:

Don't we want to be Bama or aTm? Do we not want our LT to be a 1st rounder?  I mean, what are expectations? 7-5 seasons? If we're shooting for 7-5 seasons and hopefully put together a senior laden team and pull out a 10 win season every five to six years, then hell, call us Texas Tech.

And to be honest, I know we aren't Bama nor aTm, and I don't expect us to be like Bama, nobody is. But I think we should be a lot closer to Bama than we are to Iowa State.
You are such a pessimist.  We have played 3 games and you act like you know what this team can do.  We could have beaten LSU, and should have beaten Tech.  We are closer to Bama then Iowa State, but again you are still mad about losing to Tech and don't understand that there is a lot of season left.  I think we are shooting for a 2 loss season with a Big 12 Title.  Then again I haven't given up and started shredding our team, so I can be o.k. if we don't win every game.  What a miserable outlook you have already giving up after 3 games. 

jake102

Walter Sobchak said:
You are such a pessimist.  We have played 3 games and you act like you know what this team can do.  We could have beaten LSU, and should have beaten Tech.  We are closer to Bama then Iowa State, but again you are still mad about losing to Tech and don't understand that there is a lot of season left.  I think we are shooting for a 2 loss season with a Big 12 Title.  Then again I haven't given up and started shredding our team, so I can be o.k. if we don't win every game.  What a miserable outlook you have already giving up after 3 games. 

Agree. I know it's not over.... just disappointing so far. I'm hoping the shift to Dunbar at LT, Naff at LG helps and we can build. 

Hoping for the best.