• The KillerFrogs

You think the O-line is sick and tired...

cdsfrog

Jake102 said:

Agree. I know it's not over.... just disappointing so far. I'm hoping the shift to Dunbar at LT, Naff at LG helps and we can build. 

Hoping for the best. 

Probably more concerning is that they weren't up for such a huge game and played like it was S.E. Louisiana again.

Even in 2005 when we played that bad after OU against SMU it was mostly the QBs fault we lost that game. He had 5 turnovers I believe in that game and once we switched QBs while getting spanked by BYU the season turned around.
Hoping the season turns around like 05 but I don't think we have a better QB waiting and the opponents are much tougher this year.

bsquared63

cdsfrog said:

Probably more concerning is that they weren't up for such a huge game and played like it was S.E. Louisiana again.

Even in 2005 when we played that bad after OU against SMU it was mostly the QBs fault we lost that game. He had 5 turnovers I believe in that game and once we switched QBs while getting spanked by BYU the season turned around.
Hoping the season turns around like 05 but I don't think we have a better QB waiting and the opponents are much tougher this year.
How are you so sure they weren't "up" for the game...comments like these have no basis

TCURiggs

Walter Sobchak said:
How are you so sure they weren't "up" for the game...comments like these have no basis

I agree. Based on what GP has said, it sounds like they may have been too hyped up... needed to calm down

cdsfrog

TCURiggs said:

I agree. Based on what GP has said, it sounds like they may have been too hyped up... needed to calm down

Riggs so based on what you saw from the offense you surmise that there was too much effort?

I get what GP said but did you gather that from what you saw?

It seems like a week and half later people remember the game entirely different. Tons of people were talking about poor effort and heartless performances from most of the offense save a couple standouts

TCURiggs

cdsfrog said:

Riggs so based on what you saw from the offense you surmise that there was too much effort?

I get what GP said but did you gather that from what you saw?

It seems like a week and half later people remember the game entirely different. Tons of people were talking about poor effort and heartless performances from most of the offense save a couple people.

We looked terrible, but no way would I say it was because of a lack of trying. I don't know of any athlete/competitive person who's going to go out and not try to win in a competition. We may have been out-coached or out-executed, but I'm not going to question the effort. No one likes to lose, and I'm sure our guys were out there trying to win their matchups

cdsfrog

TCURiggs said:

We looked terrible, but no way would I say it was because of a lack of trying. I don't know of any athlete/competitive person who's going to go out and not try to win in a competition. We may have been out-coached or out-executed, but I'm not going to question the effort. No one likes to lose, and I'm sure our guys were out there trying to win their matchups

Fair enough. I just have a hard time explaining it otherwise. We played an inferior team and got dominated on the offensive line against a 3 man rush.

Have to say though players are often not motivated for crap games like SELA although rarely would you ever say the same about game against a conference rival on the road.

Sure looked to me like we got out hustled on the offensive side as Tech's defense is not good. Either way you have to hope this wakes them up for the SMU game. Long time to stew about a loss.

steelfrog

Tier 1
If you think motivation isn't a key to good play you are high as a kite.  These guys look flat as a pancake and its a lot motivation, partly maybe not knowing what to do.

What I saw looked far more like that they were lost and confused due to being poorly prepared to play than a lack of physical effort. The were not  physically being beaten by the undersized DL but were clearly confused on a number of plays as to what they were supposed to be doing.

steelfrog

Tier 1
OK so when did they figure out when they got confused?  There's a playbook they are all given.  Are you saying that they haven't studied it?

It is not the attitude of a team that is engaged or motivated to do well.  They don't give a crap.  Anybody know why?

bsquared63

More Frogs the Better said:
What I saw looked far more like that they were lost and confused due to being poorly prepared to play than a lack of physical effort. The were not being physically being beaten by the undersized DL but were clearly confused on a number of plays as to what they were supposed to be doing.
Lot of twists, stunts, movement on the defense.  It is also hard to let them settle in when you are going with the up tempo offense and the defense never commits to what they are gonna do.  They were worried about who to block.  It happens; Southern Miss used to do defense crap that nobody had seen having all their guys stand up etc...trying to confuse offenses.  Zone blocking becomes important in the run and pass blocking can be a mess with the dropping and twisting.  It requires them to relax and think to get it done.  You will see an improved O-line Saturday. 

cctcu

You are such a pessimist.  We have played 3 games and you act like you know what this team can do.  We could have beaten LSU, and should have beaten Tech.  We are closer to Bama then Iowa State, but again you are still mad about losing to Tech and don't understand that there is a lot of season left.  I think we are shooting for a 2 loss season with a Big 12 Title.  Then again I haven't given up and started shredding our team, so I can be o.k. if we don't win every game.  What a miserable outlook you have already giving up after 3 games.
Well, I think I'd rather be like Patterson - the goal is to win a conf. championship, a NC, etc., but WIN! Being satisfied with going 7 - 5 just ain't gonna cut it. The supporters here won't to win, and have the ability to question why when it doesn't happen. If you don't want to add some your positive comments, or can't stand the rationale or questioning as to why we're not playing up to potential, go join the others who have bailed to the other blogs, where everyone feels happy. I think this group is entitled to opinions. Some may be good, some off the mark, but pulling for the big time - not inferior play.

Walter Sobchak said:
Lot of twists, stunts, movement on the defense.  It is also hard to let them settle in when you are going with the up tempo offense and the defense never commits to what they are gonna do.  They were worried about who to block.  It happens; Southern Miss used to do defense crap that nobody had seen having all their guys stand up etc...trying to confuse offenses.  Zone blocking becomes important in the run and pass blocking can be a mess with the dropping and twisting.  It requires them to relax and think to get it done.  You will see an improved O-line Saturday. 
That's all true, obviously. And I said earlier that it does happen from time to time. But I've never seen anything like the degree to which it happened in that game. Not trying to be negative but I cannot avoid being concerned that the offensive staff just did not have them prepared because at this level all teams employ similar tactics on defense. I hope you're right and this turns out to be an outlier in terms of these kind of issues.

Walter Sobchak said:
You will see an improved O-line Saturday.

Hope you're right...that would certainly be a welcome contrast from recent past performances.

However, be assured, that their real test will come the following Saturday against OU.

asleep003

Pure Purple said:
Hope you're right...that would certainly be a welcome contrast from recent past performances.

However, be assured, that their real test will come the following Saturday against OU.

Nope, it begins this week ...

Cheers !

bsquared63

cctcu said:
Well, I think I'd rather be like Patterson - the goal is to win a conf. championship, a NC, etc., but WIN! Being satisfied with going 7 - 5 just ain't gonna cut it. The supporters here won't to win, and have the ability to question why when it doesn't happen. If you don't want to add some your positive comments, or can't stand the rationale or questioning as to why we're not playing up to potential, go join the others who have bailed to the other blogs, where everyone feels happy. I think this group is entitled to opinions. Some may be good, some off the mark, but pulling for the big time - not inferior play.
Thanks for the well thought out response.  If I could understand what it meant I might be able to respond.  I never said I was happy with 7-5.  I'll stick around...thanks though. 

bsquared63

More Frogs the Better said:
That's all true, obviously. And I said earlier that it does happen from time to time. But I've never seen anything like the degree to which it happened in that game. Not trying to be negative but I cannot avoid being concerned that the offensive staff just did not have them prepared because at this level all teams employ similar tactics on defense. I hope you're right and this turns out to be an outlier in terms of these kind of issues.
Strange things happen in Lubbock...just put it behind us and see how you feel Saturday afternoon.  If O-line is still concern at that point then I will agree that we may be in big trouble.  I just thought we played too well against LSU to start worrying yet. 

bsquared63

cctcu said:
Sorry for being positive as well...my bad brah

cdsfrog

You are entitled to be positive based on future results not looking at past performance. Just don't bash people for being negative looking at the past 12 games (4-8)