• The KillerFrogs

Words of wisdom from Bronco Mendenhall

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
"If you were to take Stanford's academics with the type of kid that the military academies recruit, and merge that with top-25 talent and add "the dust of Notre Dame," that is your typical BYU player. "

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/14853003/independence-a-leap-of-faith-football-and-fame-for-byu

West Coast Johnny

rowing-mirror.jpg

HToady

I think what he meant was,

"if you get to use religious reasons to mature your players for two years more than any other school, and allow them to train and work out during these two years, then you have BYU!"

BYU plays dirty, they always have. They are like the old guy at the Y playing basketball. Plays hard, but he'll push, pok and punch you...then act like he didn't do anything wrong.

gatorfrog

I know we're supposed to be minding our Ps and Qs, so I want to take care to phrase this in a way that BYU fans will find religiously inoffensive.

For good or for ill, depending on your perspective, you cannot divorce that school's athletic program from the Church's mission to grow its membership. If you read between the lines, you'll see that is the driving force behind the independence move. They don't want to be in anyone's shadow, they don't want to compromise in the interest of any conference's greater good, and they're not even concerned about maximizing the program's potential for success (they are searching for the right balance of exposure versus competitiveness vs athletic respect). They want prominent media positioning for their Stanford-WestPoint-Top25-NotreDame hybrids so they can be exhibited to the greatest number of people in a positive light.

Their motives and attitudes will never make sense to the broader sports world, because they are truly an example of the sports program being subsidiary to a mission that is not even exactly educational (though providing a marketable degree is of course a big deal for BYU), but is largely evangelical.

BABYFACE

BYU plays dirty, they always have. They are like the old guy at the Y playing basketball. Plays hard, but he'll push, pok and punch you...then act like he didn't do anything wrong.

LOL, I think I have become one of those old guys at the Y downtown. I am not nearly as athletic in my mid 40's as I was in my 20's. You change your style.

HG73

That home schedule of Idaho, Idaho State, Utah State etc. will get old fast. Getting beat on the road by UT, Ole Miss, ND etc. will get old fast too. What happens when they lose a couple of games early and have no conference championship or BCS bowl to play for? Those kids are going to wonder why they didn't go to Utah.

Big Frog II

That home schedule of Idaho, Idaho State, Utah State etc. will get old fast. Getting beat on the road by UT, Ole Miss, ND etc. will get old fast too. What happens when they lose a couple of games early and have no conference championship or BCS bowl to play for? Those kids are going to wonder why they didn't go to Utah.
This is where I think they have made a huge mistake. Very little to play for. It is also in my opinion why ND is no longer relevant in football.

tcumaniac

never thought about it that way... very valid point

Gunner

Watched them slam OU at Jerry's, and wondered if the olden days were returning. But then, found OU was overrated and TCU scorched BYU...They can come to Jerry's and play a good game. They killed the OU quarterback for the season.

Played a freshman QB last year and he will be better this time around. We now, are the ones with the rookie QB...