• The KillerFrogs

WOG Basketball Tryouts

Wog68

The recent women's basketball open tryouts reminded me of when I tried out for the WOGS in 1964. Mickey McCarty told me that the team couldn't scrimmage due to a lack of players. I talked with Coach Bob Walker, the WOG coach. He asked me where I had played hoops and I replied " Indiana". He told me to go get a uniform. End of tryout!

ShreveFrog

My uncle was a coach at Muncie Central in the 20's. He told me about those Franklin Teams.
My grandfather played on the Wonder 5 teams at Franklin College. Told me of playing Purdue in an armory, with a dirt floor. He kind of undersold what they did against the big colleges like Notre Dame. When I met Vandiver, I did not realize what greatness I was beholding. They were in their late 60’s by then and any sign of sports ego was gone but those mid-westerners from that era were always solid as rocks.

JogginFrog

Maybe third best, then!

I'm a huge fan of Breaking Away. One of my personal "top 5" favorites.
During Covid, with kids home from college, I got 'em to watch Breaking Away. They now talk about it as legendary, but in a tone like they discovered the winning entry in an ugly Christmas sweater contest.

The lines they quote most often are from Moocher and his girlfriend:
"You want to go Dutch?"
"On a marriage license?"

Last edited:
During Covid, with kids home from college, I got 'em to watch Breaking Away. They now talk about it as legendary, but in a tone like they discovered the winning entry in an ugly Christmas sweater contest.
Ha! Yeah I had a similar experience with mine. But I get that a lot with a lot of classic 70s and 80s movies I try to get them to watch. These Gen Y kids have some taste issues.