• The KillerFrogs

WOG Basketball Tryouts

Wog68

The recent women's basketball open tryouts reminded me of when I tried out for the WOGS in 1964. Mickey McCarty told me that the team couldn't scrimmage due to a lack of players. I talked with Coach Bob Walker, the WOG coach. He asked me where I had played hoops and I replied " Indiana". He told me to go get a uniform. End of tryout!

ShreveFrog

My uncle was a coach at Muncie Central in the 20's. He told me about those Franklin Teams.
My grandfather played on the Wonder 5 teams at Franklin College. Told me of playing Purdue in an armory, with a dirt floor. He kind of undersold what they did against the big colleges like Notre Dame. When I met Vandiver, I did not realize what greatness I was beholding. They were in their late 60’s by then and any sign of sports ego was gone but those mid-westerners from that era were always solid as rocks.

JogginFrog

Maybe third best, then!

I'm a huge fan of Breaking Away. One of my personal "top 5" favorites.
During Covid, with kids home from college, I got 'em to watch Breaking Away. They now talk about it as legendary, but in a tone like they discovered the winning entry in an ugly Christmas sweater contest.

The lines they quote most often are from Moocher and his girlfriend:
"You want to go Dutch?"
"On a marriage license?"

Last edited:
During Covid, with kids home from college, I got 'em to watch Breaking Away. They now talk about it as legendary, but in a tone like they discovered the winning entry in an ugly Christmas sweater contest.
Ha! Yeah I had a similar experience with mine. But I get that a lot with a lot of classic 70s and 80s movies I try to get them to watch. These Gen Y kids have some taste issues.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
It cracks me up that Indiana (both state and university) still think of themselves has the center of the basketball universe. When they don’t even register on the meter. Sportscasters do it every night here.

Texas, however…