• The KillerFrogs

What is the Story on SMU game switch to Friday?

Frogenstein

When I was a student at Paschal, the Arlington Heights game almost always sold out Farrington Field. My senior year I think there were more policemen at the game than students, but that's another story for another time. :biggrin:

With that many Paschal students in 1 place it sounds like a prudent move by the FWPD.

Endless Purple

I don't watch HS football, but don't want Friday night games.

Surprisingly, most recruits are in high school, many of the college age kids also have siblings that are close in age like in highschool, not to mention all the parents of any one of the kids in HS could all be kept away from a TCU game on a Friday.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
That time of the month?

Just pizzed off obviously. One Friday night game is one thing. But two is ridiculous. I'm going to choose to miss the SMU home game and that pizzes me off at TCU that they Briles out like that to have two Friday night games. It hurts attendance and recruiting, and forces some - perhaps not many - like me to miss a game which I don't like cause there aint many games to begin with.

YA

No...otherwise it wouldn't be on ESPN. Depending on how you look at it, at best it's a neutral site game, but it falls under BYU's TV deal with ESPN.

http://sportsuniverse.byu.edu/?p=3755

The 2011 college football season marks the beginning of an eight-year agreement between ESPN and BYU for exclusive rights to BYU home football games across multiple ESPN platforms. As part of the deal, ESPN receives first selection rights to all BYU home games and any neutral site matchups in which the school is the designated home team. Games can be televised on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays across ESPN, ESPN on ABC, ESPN2 and ESPNU with simulcasts on ESPN3.com, ESPN Mobile TV and ESPN GamePlan.
According to the AD when I spoke to him on this issue--we are the designated home team for the BYU game and the game counts in our home attendance figures.

The reason we have the game on ESPN is that the MWC contract states that if a game is played at neutral sites then it does not fall under the MWC TV contract.

YA

Just pizzed off obviously. One Friday night game is one thing. But two is ridiculous. I'm going to choose to miss the SMU home game and that pizzes me off at TCU that they Briles out like that to have two Friday night games. It hurts attendance and recruiting, and forces some - perhaps not many - like me to miss a game which I don't like cause there aint many games to begin with.
I agree with you--we should not play games on Friday nights, but what is done is done.

Hey, PM me on your Marshall News Messenger dates---my family was in the media business in that part of the world for 40+ years I am sure I know you and meet you personally before.

Trelvis

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700110979/BYU-football-Former-MWC-rivals-TCU-BYU-to-play-in-Cowboys-Stadium.html

While other MWC teams have refused to schedule BYU in the immediate future, allegedly because of the Cougar move to independence, TCU appears to have broken that moratorium in a deal brokered by ESPN, BYU's new TV partner.

Spike

My 2L year we were scheduled to play Northwestern on a Saturday right before Labor Day. I was all set to make the trip home and see a game. Pretty late in the game ESPN moved it to a Thursday Night. A friend had 4 free tickets. I would have missed 3 classes to come home. I ended up watching it at a local sports bar w/ about 5 Northwestern fans.

I think we are going to have to chalk this season up as a scheduling mulligan.

icemonkee

You're going to skip the SMU game for HS football? Really?

cdsfrog

I definitely feel like some people here take satisification in putting others down that vent their frustrations about sports......on a sports message board.

Gotta say, that's kind of pathetic. Friday games don't make me as mad but if I get promoted permanently (temporarily due to a guy out on leave) I will have to work on Saturdays (yikes not ask) so just 1 less day to be "sick" on or take a vacation day for.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I definitely feel like some people here take satisification in putting others down that vent their frustrations about sports......on a sports message board.

Gotta say, that's kind of pathetic. Friday games don't make me as mad but if I get promoted permanently (temporarily due to a guy out on leave) I will have to work on Saturdays (yikes not ask) so just 1 less day to be "sick" on or take a vacation day for.

Depending on the hours that would suck. I generally work seven days a week in my job whether home or at the office. Saturdays I can adjust and get work done to accommodate making a TCU game no matter the kickoff time. Thursdays I can leave early and turn things over to my boss to finish but I bust my tail so he won't much left to do.

Fridays are just tough and I don't have a job where I can call just be "sick" (haven't take a sick day in almost nine years) or decide to blow it off or leave it for others to do.

I know, that's my issue. If I were a cubicle rat in a job where they didn't care what you did or when you did it ...

TEUFELI

Depending on the hours that would suck. I generally work seven days a week in my job whether home or at the office. Saturdays I can adjust and get work done to accommodate making a TCU game no matter the kickoff time. Thursdays I can leave early and turn things over to my boss to finish but I bust my tail so he won't much left to do.

Fridays are just tough and I don't have a job where I can call just be "sick" (haven't take a sick day in almost nine years) or decide to blow it off or leave it for others to do.

I know, that's my issue. If I were a cubicle rat in a job where they didn't care what you did or when you did it ...

Lotta good Frogs serve in the military too. I don't hear them whining about the fact that they have to be in Afghanistan for a whole season.

We all make career choices...and we all live with em. Whole lot of crying going on here...

cdsfrog

Lotta good Frogs serve in the military too. I don't hear them whining about the fact that they have to be in Afghanistan for a whole season.

We all make career choices...and we all live with em. Whole lot of crying going on here...

please see my above post

Spike

Your right. We have soldiers in Afghanistan. We should jump to C-USA and play UAB on Tuesday nights.