• The KillerFrogs

What Is Realistic For 2014?

tcuseagull

Aside from a chance to play spoiler for Baylor, it's time to start looking ahead to 2014.

Our defense has let us down in some 4th quarters this year, most noticeably tonight, but overall this unit was good enough to be a part of a Big 12 championship. We are only losing three starters, Koontz, Verrett, and Olabode..unless someone declares early. Verrett is a critical loss, and Olabode has been great during his career, but I think Kindred can fill his shoes. We also should get Fields back.

Our offense loses Pachall, Tausch, James, and Dunbar. I love Waymon, but RB's are not a concern. Our OLine is what needs the biggest improvement. We have to hope our young offensive line has a breakout season. But that's hoping. We will also have a big question mark at quarterback, but you have to think between Boykin, Matthews, Allen, Sawyer, and Muehlstein...ONE of them can step up.

Surely, we will have a new OC and OL coach. The new hire(s) is critical. Not only do we need to instill some fundamentals, but we need to instill some confidence to this offense. Our schedule is the easiest since joining the Big 12. Seven home games, no LSU in OOC (although Minnesota is having a great season), and we beat all 4 Big-12 teams we traveled to in 2012.

What should we expect? Can a team that finishes 4-8 or 5-7 really win a Big 12 title next year? Missouri and Auburn have turned it around, so it's possible.

tcuseagull

Portland Frog said:
Who knows. Can the team stay relatively healthy?
After the past two years, you would think the football gods would cut us a few favors. However, it's football so you have to assume we will lose a few starters to injuries over the course of the season. Hopefully it's just not our best players like this year (ala Fields and Pachall).

SwissArmyFrog

I think after so many close games and frustration there will be hell to pay, and we'll be taking it out on our schedule.  Not predicting 13-0.  Just think it will be significantly better (assuming tonight is an indication of better offensive things to come).

kidkarr

I will check back after the season. I have to see what staff changes are made before I can make predictions on 2014. Have to see what Patterson views as problems and who he is willing to replace.

tetonfrog

This is a pessimistic prediction, but we go 7-6.

Nonconference is 2-1 with wins over Samford and SMU and a loss to Minnesota.
Big 12 home wins are Tech and ISU. Losses to OU, OSU, KSU. That will make us 0-9 vs. these teams since joining the league.
Big 12 road wins are KU and WV. Road losses are at UT and Baylor.

We win our bowl game over Illinois in Dallas.

But GP calls this progress. We go 4-5 in the BIg 12 and win our bowl game. Hopefully, this gives our OL and playmakers confidence going into 2015 when we must replace most of our defense. Dan Jenkins is proved correct except that we can't even go 8-4 in our new league.

Sure as hell hope I'm wrong, but..........

Zubaz

Who knows...pretty much every game except for three have been winnable in the fourth quarter. THIS "sucky" 2013 team could be 8-3 if the ball bounced a little bit differently, winning games against Tech, WVU, K-State, and Oklahoma. I think we'll be better next year.

That said, we could lose our spirit, regress, and have another losing season.

Biggest issues are going to be QB play (Boykin vs. Matthews vs. Allen) and OL play. Defense should be able to keep us in games, we have the RB's and the receivers. Can the offense put it together to win these close games?

The other big wildcard is going to be off-season attrition. I don't know this, but there appear to be some folks that figured they'd go pro after this year, and they haven't really played to that level. Do they declare? Do they retain their eligibility even if they don't declare? That's a concern...

Hughes Your Daddy

Depends on offseason changes in terms of coaching, and if we can nip this player attitude problem in the bud.

An out of my arse kind of prediction though, I think we go 4-5 in conference, and 3-0 out of conference. 7-5 overall. Progress, but still disappointing.

Moose Stuff

Assuming a healthy Fields and at least average QB play I think improving to 8-4 or better is very realistic. Lots of experience returning and a very favorable schedule.

mc1502

Jerome K said:
I will check back after the season. I have to see what staff changes are made before I can make predictions on 2014. Have to see what Patterson views as problems and who he is willing to replace.
This.   

This team will fail just as badly if it brings back the same coaching staff.    If no changes are made, I would predict two to three wins next year.    If we get a good OC, Special teams coach and a new O line coach, who knows.    I would be willing to bet that if we make these coaching changes, we win at leaset seven games next year, and more the year after that.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
I think the post-season autopsy for the players will be eye opening, lots of time to think about how close they came in nearly every game except Texas--which was an unusual situation. This offensive unit never clicked until late and by then the defense had run out of gas. The biggest question mark will be OL, followed by QB. I feel that if the OL could get squared away I'd be happy with Boykin behind center, although I think a pocket passer would be the smarter play.

Burner1

Tier 1
We haven't lost a 2014 game yet.

Need changes in the OL and coaching staff. Hope we don't have a lot of guys give up and transfer. Hope we don't have any guys getting in trouble off the field. Hope springs eternal.

bscttyb

It will be interesting to see offseason changes, both coaching and players. I really feel we are close to being a 9-3 type of team. I know we all want 10-2 11-1, but I think we are another 3-4 years away to get to that level.

First things first, new OC,new OL, and maybe special team coach. Without some major changes we are in for some bad seasons.

West Coast Johnny

We'll miss Verrett, Olabode, Pachall, James, Dunbar, & Koontz.  We also graduate Wooldridge & Tausch but we won't miss them.  Assuming we win half of our toss-up games next year 

5 or 6 wins tops.

Samford - Win
Minnesota - Toss up
SMU - Win
Oklahoma - Loss
Baylor - Loss
Oklahoma State - Loss
Tech - Loss
West Virginia - Toss up
Kansas State - Toss up
Kansas - Win
Texas - Loss
Iowa State - Win

FrogSwagSurfin

We all know our O line is terrible but what are the coaches failing to miss? Do they have bad footwork? Do they not understand the offense? Are they just really bad? What could the coaches do to improve the the line-man

Please don't respond that the coaches suck or we're bad at recruiting, we all know that. why haven't we seen real development?