• The KillerFrogs

What I don't understand about A&M leaving B12 - 2

ricksterh

Correct me if I'm wrong but the schedule this year is set and imo it would be too late to schedule the Ags into the SEC this season that starts in a ccuple weeks right? So if thats the case why not play this schedule and then annouce after the season that they are leaving?

Horned Toad

It wouldn't affect this years schedule and it might be another year before they actually left for the SEC, but they are done with it and want they heck out. It's like when you are dating and you realize that your not in it for the long run, your'e outta there!

macaroni

I think that was their original plan, but the details of the LHN contract being made public set the masses rioting. Their admins and board would have spent the next six months fielding angry phone calls from alums threatening to pull money, etc. Just hard to do something and keep it under wraps in today's world of social media, paid website subscriptions and 24/7 news cycles.

10 Key Frog

I think part of it is similar to last summer most conferences have a deadline to announce of Sept 1 to play the following year in the new conferences. So if Aggies announce before that date they could play 2012 in SEC. After that date and it may be 2013.

Endless Purple

I think that was their original plan, but the details of the LHN contract being made public set the masses rioting. Their admins and board would have spent the next six months fielding angry phone calls from alums threatening to pull money, etc. Just hard to do something and keep it under wraps in today's world of social media, paid website subscriptions and 24/7 news cycles.
This

plus the earlier they can give notice then the less money they forfeit from the Big 12 while leaving. If I remember correctly, there is a scale on the amount with over 1 year, 1 year- 6 months, and less than 6 months.

The rumors and speculation were flying before then.

No s*#t Shirlock. But when the governor of the state - who stays in communication with everyone high up at A&M - confirms those rumors, that makes it pretty legit. A&M denied all the rumors before, but they couldn't deny it when Perry spoke. He obviously had inside information.

You make it sound like he gave out some double-top secret information. Who cares what he said. It doesn't affect the situation one bit.

They'll announce within the next 15 days. No way they're going to stay through the 2012-13 academic year. They're probably looking at the screw job we've gotten and figure it will be multiplied.

The BOR meeting was scheduled Aug 31st and conference allignment wasn't on the agenda. After Perry spoke, they moved the BOR meeting up to this Monday and added conference realignment to the agenda. Perry obviously sped things up. A&M might have had plans to announce this after the season, but when your alumni governor spills the news, they have to change plans.

screetch

The BOR meeting was scheduled Aug 31st and conference allignment wasn't on the agenda. After Perry spoke, they moved the BOR meeting up to this Monday and added conference realignment to the agenda. Perry obviously sped things up. A&M might have had plans to announce this after the season, but when your alumni governor spills the news, they have to change plans.

Yeah, I'm sure it had nothing to do with the Legislature scheduling their meeting on Tuesday. :rolleyes:

jack the frog

Yeah, I'm sure it had nothing to do with the Legislature scheduling their meeting on Tuesday. :rolleyes:

Nice to know the Legislature is going to circle the wagons and draw sand lines and stand as one over a football deal. Anyone watch these clowns handle immigration, budget, education and a the host of real problems during the regular and special session?

Mike Brooks

Exactly. It was planned for the 22nd but when Baylor and tech got their panties twisted and the Legisture got involved, aggie basically flipped them off and moved it to Monday. Must say I cheered aggie for the firne I can remember.

Exactly. It was planned for the 22nd but when Baylor and tech got their panties twisted and the Legisture got involved, aggie basically flipped them off and moved it to Monday. Must say I cheered aggie for the firne I can remember.

Incorrect.

Timeline:

- BOR meeting scheduled for August 31st, no mention of conference alignment on the agenda.
- Perry slips the news that A&M is talking to SEC
- BOR meeting moved up to August 19th, still no mention of conference alignment.
- Texas Legislature decides to discuss this on Tues. Aug 16th.
- BOR meeting moved again to Mon. Aug 15th. Conference alignment added to the agenda.

ricksterh

Thanks for the explanations about the timing. I guess it makes sense. :smile:

A&M and Texas have had such a great rivalry and history over so many years. I wonder if they are no longer in the same conference the two schools would still continue to play each other every year as an ooc game? :unsure:

I also wonder if these things happen if Texas or A&M would play TCU with TCU in the B E? The old argument against those game was that they had too much to loose and not much to gain but when a team wins the Rose Bowl and finishes ranked #2 in the nation those schools would now have quite a bit to gain and not as much to loose? :cool:

BABYFACE

If UT doesn't start learning how to play will others, they aren't going to have many friends left. UT ran Nebraska off, now A$M. Mizzou wanted out last year but nobody asked them to dance. Colorado was going to PAC 10 if invited no matter if UT played nice or not, so I don't count them. Hope Tech has realized they need to position themselves to stand on their own and not count on their abusive relative UT to take care of them.

Related thought but a seperate isssue:

I wonder why fans from Tech and Baylor don't understand why TCU fans have a bit of dismay and a little bit of cockiness towards them. You rode UT and A$M's coat tails to the Big 12. Tech made the most of the opportunity, Baylor not so much but improving. TCU has to write their own ticket over the last 16 years.

It is like 3 brothers that grow up in a wealthy family but one gets kicked to the curb right out of high school. The other two brothers continue to live high on the hog and assume their high stature is their birth right and are arrogant about it. The other brother has to flip burgers and live in the projects to get by. But through hard work and a strong willed determination, the poor brother's plan is moving forward. After toiling for over a decade and half, the poor brother is now well-heeled himself. He is living in a nice house in the right neighborhood. The other two brothers that have lived on Daddy's dime are upset that Daddy is threatening to cut them off. They explain their plight to their exciled brother and are looking for sympathy and maybe an ally. The two upset brothers leave the other brother's house, and self-made brother wonders why he should have any sympathy for them as they were more than happy to crap on him for years.

joejordan

If UT doesn't start learning how to play will others, they aren't going to have many friends left. UT ran Nebraska off, now A$M. Mizzou wanted out last year but nobody asked them to dance. Colorado was going to PAC 10 if invited no matter if UT played nice or not, so I don't count them. Hope Tech has realized they need to position themselves to stand on their own and not count on their abusive brother UT to take care of them.

Related thought but a seperate isssue:

I wonder why fans from Tech and Baylor don't understand why TCU fans have a bit of dismay and a little bit of cockiness towards them. You rode UT and A$M's coat tails to the Big 12. Tech made the most of the opportunity, Baylor not so much but improving. TCU has to write their own ticket over the last 16 years.

It is like 3 brothers that grow up in a wealthy family but one gets kicked to the curb right out of high school. The other two brothers continue to live high on the hog and assume their high stature is their birth right and are arrogant about it. The other brother has to flip burgers and live in the projects to get by. But through hard work and a strong willed determination, the poor brother's plan is moving forward. After toiling for over a decade and half, the poor brother is now well-heeled himself. He is living in a nice house in the right neighborhood. The other two brothers that have lived on Daddy's dime are upset that Daddy is threatening to cut them off. They explain their plight to their exciled brother and are looking for sympathy and maybe an ally. The two upset brothers leave the other brother's house, and self-made brother wonders why he should have any sympathy for them as they were more than happy to crap on him for years.
Wow, you could have just used the parable of the Prodigal Son. Although I'm thinking you are not leaning in the direction of that particular teaching!

macaroni

I also wonder if these things happen if Texas or A&M would play TCU with TCU in the B E? The old argument against those game was that they had too much to loose and not much to gain but when a team wins the Rose Bowl and finishes ranked #2 in the nation those schools would now have quite a bit to gain and not as much to loose? :cool:

A&M just upgraded their schedule to the toughest conference slate in the nation. I'm pretty sure they won't be looking for tough OOC games.

A&M just upgraded their schedule to the toughest conference slate in the nation. I'm pretty sure they won't be looking for tough OOC games.

Reports on texags is that part of the deal with SEC is leaving the Thanksgiving week open. Doesn't mean they are keeping Texas on the schedule, but they are certainly open to the idea, if the reports are true.

Deloss Dodds said if A&M left, they would look at scheduling them on a a "sport by sport basis".

If UT doesn't start learning how to play will others, they aren't going to have many friends left. UT ran Nebraska off, now A$M. Mizzou wanted out last year but nobody asked them to dance. Colorado was going to PAC 10 if invited no matter if UT played nice or not, so I don't count them. Hope Tech has realized they need to position themselves to stand on their own and not count on their abusive relative UT to take care of them.

Very well said.