• The KillerFrogs

West Monroe (James McFarland) Football Preview

Mike Coppage

West Monroe's 29-game win streak came to a halt in the Superdome last December at the hands of the Acadiana Rams. The underdogs from Scott, Louisiana (located just west of Lafayette), were able to wrestle the Class 5A state title away from West Monroe in a hard-fought (21-14) tussle.

The Rebels say goodbye to the dynamic offensive duo of Paul Turner (LSU) and Tyler Cain (ULM), but there's a great deal of talent returning on defense. The defensive line, despite losing DT Chuck Hunter (TCU), will be ferocious. DEs Terrell Lathan (6-4, 235) and James McFarland (TCU commit) are both ranked inside the Top 80 in the nation at their position.

LB Deano Casola (6-0, 215) led the team in tackles last year with 90-plus stops. He'll be flanked by Jacob Tyson (6-0, 220), who is coming off an impressive performance at LSU football camp earlier this week.

In the secondary, the Rebels must replace CB Michael Hunter, who signed with Indiana. Junior Cade Stone is generating a lot of buzz among West Monroe faithful.

On offense, FB Bubba Reeves and OL Edward Boley (6-4, 320) are returning senior starters. There's talk among West Monroe insiders that Reeves will make the switch to tailback. With Turner at QB (and D.J. Banks prior to Turner), head coach Don Shows opened up the offense and incorporated the spread. This year, however, many expect the Rebels to take the bulk of their snaps in the "usual" WM offense: the option-I formation.

Conner Osbourne will face the unenviable task of trying to replace Turner, unless the staff decides to move him to WR. If that happens, junior Michael Mims will get the call at QB. Kicker James Benson will be an additional reliable weapon.

Turning to the schedule, everyone remembers the heated West Monroe/Evangel Christian rivalry from when the two programs were in 5A. The Rebels don't face ECA, but they'll face ECA's nemesis - Calvary Baptist Academy (Shreveport) in week two. Calvary is coached by former ECA head honcho John Bachman, and the bulk of Bachman's staff is comprised of former ECA players and coaches.

Madison Central (MS) comes to town in week three. Last year, the Jaguars enjoyed a 12-2 season in which they reached the Mississippi Class 6A semis (lost to eventual state champ South Panola). The Jags are absolutely loaded for '11.

Center Devon Desper, ranked No. 13 in the nation at his position, is committed to Mississippi State. Three-star DT Maurice Bennett (6-2, 280) holds a Washington State offer. OT Logan Ellzey is 6-foot-6 and 290 pounds. Junior WR Keith Williams (6-3, 180) and classmate RB Travis Singleton (5-9, 210) are playmakers.

The following week, West Monroe visits Bastrop and four-star DE Denzel Devall. The Rams are coached by another Evangel grad, Thomas Bachman. In week eight, a senior-laden Ruston team takes on the Rebels in a pivotal district matchup. Ruston has a splendid secondary that includes seniors Cyril Noland and Kentrell Brice.

As if that isn't enough, everyone is already talking about the week nine collision with Cocoa, Florida. In 2010, Cocoa recorded a perfect 14-0 mark. Along the way, the Tigers took out defending Texas 5A state champ Abilene.

Cocoa has an outrageously challenging '11 schedule. The Tigers travel to Cincinnati early in the year for a bout with Ohio power Colerain. The next week, they'll encounter Skyline (Dallas) at Cowboys Stadium. Skyline's roster includes four-star WR Thomas Johnson and four-star LB Peter Jinkins. Both are Texas commits.

Cocoa succeeds with speed and a squad that doesn't generate much recognition when it comes to big-name recruits. '13 RB Tarean Folston is a player to watch.

REGULAR SEASON PREDICTION: 10-0

Call me a Louisiana homer, but I don't see any team on the Rebels' schedule being able to move the ball enough to warrant a West Monroe loss...Terrell Lathan and James McFarland are as good a pair of DEs as you'll find on one team.

Oh, and did I mention they're angry after losing in the Superdome?

http://louisianatech.scout.com/2/1078292.html

Mike Coppage

Any chance of getting a third DE in Latham? We are weak there (outside of Maponga).

I wrote an article on him a few months ago.

At that time, he said he wasn't considering TCU.

However, his recruitment has slowed down. Some schools are concerned about his health (think he had a knee scoped in the off-season and didn't participate in spring practice).

His ranked dropped from an early 4-Star to a 3.

I tried to contact him a few days ago to see what was up with his recruitment, but he's eluded me thus far.

He had posted a FB status update indicating he was ready (or near ready) to commit somewhere, and that's why I wanted to speak with him.

I'll certainly let you know if and when I speak with him.

West Coast Johnny

West Monroe is definately a premiere highschool football program on par with the best in Texas and the nation. TCU appears well placed in the region with the committments of Chucky Hunter, McFarland (knock on wood), and hopefully Devall.

Recruiting in Louisianna is a frustration as we have to sit around and hope LSU doesn't offer the kids that we want. This worked with Hunter but only because LSU didn't offer.

I'm interested in TCU's possition in the hierarchy over in La. It seems that we are emerging as a good choice for some great atheletes over there (at least for the ones that don't have LSU offers). It seems that we are getting some favorable results with recruits that have many SEC offers from schools like Arkansas, Mississippi, MSU & Tenn. I see that Otha Peters told the Rivals folk that he wants a TCU offer even though he has offers from all over the place including several SEC teams.

Mike Coppage

Let's take a look at our Top 10 in-state prospects (upcoming seniors) who remain uncommitted as of today (Friday morning).

First, there's been a rash of verbals within the past few days: Breaux Bridge WR Kavahra Holmes committed to LSU, Lutcher DB Jordan Batiste to Ole Miss and Belle Chasse DB Quadry Antoine to Mississippi State. Crowley RB Davante' Bourque switched from Texas A&M to LSU.

Recruiting is moving faster and faster each year. In the past, the University of Texas had somewhat of a monopoly on gathering a large number of early pledges. The Longhorns started that trend by stocking up on commitments at their highly-successful Junior Day events. This year, Texas A&M reached the 20-commitment mark earlier than any other school.

Louisiana Tech doesn't have its initial pledge yet, but that could change in the next couple of weeks if Hutto (TX) quarterback Ryan Higgins makes his decision. If Higgins commits, it's quite possible that other prospects will follow in a domino-effect. The QB is inherently a team leader and the addition of Higgins - when and if it happens - should pay quick dividends for the Dawgs' recruiting.

NOW....our Top 20 Uncommitted Prospects

1) Landon Collins - S - Dutchtown - The four-star DB is not only the top uncommitted player in Louisiana, he's also the top overall in-state player. Collins camped at Alabama this week, and it's widely believed that the Tide and LSU are his two favorites. Last year, a then-senior teammate of Collins told me that Alabama was the school to beat. Since then, however, LSU has made up considerable ground. A couple of weeks ago, another (current) teammate of Collins said the safety will likely make his decision based on the potential for early playing time.

2) Denzel Devall - LB/DE - Bastrop - Devall told me a few days ago that he wasn't going to camp anywhere this summer. Not so fast, my friend. A day or two later, he was at Alabama for the Tide's camp. Who does he favor? Devall told Texas A&M's Scout site that the Aggies lead. LSU feels comfortable that they lead. Tech has offered, and Devall is very tight with teammate Kyron Thompson. Could the Dawgs jockey for position by offering Thompson, who is an above-average defender (DB) and legitimate college prospect in his own right? Here's a few Bastrop games to watch: 1) Rams vs. Woodlawn-SH in week three. Should be a romp for Bastrop, but the highlight will be two four-star hybrids (LB/DE) -- Devall and Woodlawn's Torshiro Davis (LSU commit); 2) Bastrop vs. Ruston in week two. Will Ruston offensive lineman Joseph Brunson go head-to-head with Devall? 3) Bastrop vs. West Monroe in week four (Devall vs. Rebels DEs Terrell Lathan/James McFarland).

3) Lorenzo Phillips - OLB - Patterson - Phillips and teammate Trevon Stewart camped at Clemson this week. On the way home, they plan to stop at Alabama, which recently offered Phillips. A few days later, the duo will camp at Florida (which has also offered Phillips). Stewart and Phillips want to play together in college, and they probably won't be able to do that at either LSU or Texas A&M. Back in March, Phillips committed to the Aggies for a short period of time (approximately 24 hours). Since re-opening his recruitment, it's been difficult to get a true read on Phillips' favorite programs. He told me Wednesday night that he doesn't have a leader. In addition, while Phillips maintained he's not considering Tech at the moment, there are factors that could play in the Dawgs' favor. Tech has ties to Patterson (Tank Calais). Furthermore, Stewart and Phillips could team up together in Ruston. In case you're wondering, Stewart says teammate WR Jaydrick Declouet will probably play at a different school than Stewart & Phillips. Declouet's current leaders include Nebraska (hasn't offered) and Southern Miss (has offered). Vanderbilt is another competitor that's offered Declouet. Again, the trio of Patterson stars could all play together in Ruston. Could that allure be a successful angle for Tech?

4) Daniel Taylor - RB/WR - Lutcher - I was disappointed when Taylor informed yesterday that he wouldn't be camping at Tech this week (said he had back-to-back basketball games Thursday and Friday). It's probably been a tough week for Taylor. He put on a good show at Ole Miss, but the Rebels didn't offer. They're waiting on a couple of other "small backs," such as Brian Kimbrow. However, Ole Miss did extend an offer to Taylor's teammate, CB Jordan Batiste (who went ahead and committed a couple of days later). Taylor's senior teammate, DB Kyron Jackson, says Tech has a good shot at Taylor. Jackson said Taylor "wants to play close to home." That could negate any advantage on the part of Pittsburgh, who Taylor named as his leader a few months ago. Taylor and his teammates (including Jackson) are camping at North Texas this weekend (and the Southern Miss/Southeastern joint camp in Hammond early next week). I haven't been able to speak with Taylor over the phone recently. My correspondence with him has been limited to written messages during that time.

5) Derek Edinburgh - OT - Edna Karr - The 6-foot-7 Edinburgh camped at LSU this week and he did well. The Tigers reaffirmed their offer to him, and many LSU insiders believe the New Orleans-area tackle will be their next commit. Most recruiting services only list Edinburgh with a few offers, but I believe he has many more that have not been reported. He doesn't seem to be a media-oriented guy and that's why his offer sheet looks more spartan than it actually is...he simply hasn't reported many of the offers to recruiting services.

6) Tylor Harris - DE - Episcopal - Frankly, I'm very surprised that more programs haven't offered Harris. He has several offers, but most are from non-BCS schools. He has remarkable athleticism; great size, speed and strength combination. I think some programs have been fooled by his film. Last year, Harris had to play every down for Episcopal, which doesn't have much depth. As a result, he got worn down in the second half of some games. Needless to say, a guy who is taking that many snaps isn't going to be as explosive on every play as someone who is only seeing action on one side of the ball. Northwestern is a major player for Harris, and the Big 10 school has landed Baton Rouge-area players (including Catholic QB Zack Oliver) in each of the past two years. Tech has family ties and was first to offer. Hopefully, Harris will be pleased with the early confidence shown by the Bulldogs. Tulane continues to recruit well and could conceivably be another frontrunner.

7) Terrell Lathan - DE - West Monroe - Lathan had surgery on his knee during the offseason, and many programs appear to be taking a wait-and-see approach based on his recovery. I'm baffled by that, because all signs point to a full recovery for Lathan. He's an elite talent who is extremely difficult to handle off the edge. TCU fans have been inquiring as to Lathan's interest in the Frogs. A few months ago, I asked Lathan about TCU (which signed Chuck Hunter and landed a verbal from James McFarland), and he said it was too far away from home. The Frogs, to the best of my knowledge, have not offered Lathan. Tech, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State all have offered. Earlier this week, Lathan indicated in a Facebook status update that he was thinking about going ahead and committing somewhere. I haven't been able to learn more about that yet (but I'm working on it).

8) Damon Gladney - WR - Haughton - Speaking of TCU, Gladney camped in Fort Worth on Thursday. He has eight scholarship offers, with Tulane, SMU and ULL being the major schools (others are 1-AA/FCS). This weekend, Gladney will try to earn an offer from Mississippi State. The (MSU) Bulldogs signed Gladney's former QB, Dak Prescott, in February.

9) Trevon Stewart - DB/WR - Patterson - *Discussed in detail in Lorenzo Phillips' capsule*

10) Jaydrick Declouet - WR - Patterson - *Discussed in detail in Lorenzo Phillips' capsule*

ON THE BUBBLE:

Cyril Noland - DB - Ruston - Only has one offer (North Texas), but I'm 100% sold on him. It's uncertain whether he'll camp at Tech this weekend. He's a little banged up, for lack of a better term, after camping at LSU, Ole Miss and SMU (satellite camp) over the past several days. Noland said he'll probably attend Tech's camp, regardless of whether he works out.

Julien Obioha - DE - Brother Martin - His recruitment has gained considerable steam over the past few weeks. Texas A&M offered this week. Lanky frame that can easily hold 30 more pounds.

Kentrell Brice - DB - Ruston - Has been red-hot when it comes to recent offers. ULM and ULL each offered this week. Missouri and Nebraska are among his other suitors. Does Missouri lead?

Jacoby Briscoe - DT - Carencro - Texas Tech has offered and is the school to beat at this point. The Bears are my favorite to win 5A, despite getting knocked out in the first round of the playoffs last year by Brother Martin.

Tyre Bracken - RB - White Castle - Louisiana's version of Noel Devine, without the off-the-field baggage. Memphis remains his only offer. Phenomenal bench press of close to 400 pounds (and it's legit). Great bloodlines (brother played for Michigan).

Dshaie Landor - QB - Teurlings Catholic - Ran a 4.55 at the Baton Rouge NUC. Shined at the Elite 11 and various other marquee camps/combines. Beat both Lutcher and Neville last year. No offers yet; will prove many critics wrong on the next level.

Otha Peters - LB - Covington - Similar to Kentrell Brice, Peters was a big hit with recruiters during the spring evaluation period. Wants an LSU offer so he can play with his cousin, DT Mickey Johnson. Has all the physical tools. Didn't show as quick a first step last year as you would expect from someone with his athleticism, and that's why I don't have him ranked as highly as other analysts.

Alex Johnson - RB - Carencro - *Reportedly will go the JUCO route*

B.J. Singleton - DE - Destrehan - Only has a small amount of film (37 seconds) available that I've seen. Hard to gauge his ability based on just a few plays. Singleton is a bona fide hoops star, but does he possess the killer instinct in football?

Marcel Andry - DT - John Curtis Christian - I asked JCC assistant Jeff Curtis this week if Andry had any offers. Curtis said he was certain Andry does, but he didn't disclose which schools are in the hunt. (Curtis said he actually didn't know for sure). Tennessee is listed as an offer, but the Volunteers issued numerous preliminary offers a few months ago to '12 prospects. Thus, it's unknown which of their offers remain on the table. Andry's cousin, Alabama DB Robbie Green, started on the Crimson Tide's national championship team.

OTHERS TO WATCH (in random order) - Gerron Borne (East St. John), Lloyd Grogan (Central Catholic), Leonard Washington (Karr), Brandon Wilson (Calvary] Baptist), Joseph Brunson (Ruston), Deion Jones (Jesuit), Jalen Richard (Peabody), Darrian Dyson (Karr), Chris Morgan (Catholic-BR), Jeremy Doucette (Cecilia), Dwayne Benjamin (Northside), Devin Powell (O.P. Walker), Marques Cheeks (O.P Walker), Juwaan Rogers (Amite), Dominick Bilich (Archbishop Rummel)

http://louisianatech.../2/1078567.html

Mike Coppage

Added these names to the top of the bubble list (problem with rankings is I always manage to omit somebody who is worthy):

Alonzo Moore - WR - Winnfield - Kavahra Holmes' commitment to LSU apparently rules out an offer from the Tigers for Moore. Film of him recently surfaced on the Internet, and it's impressive. Has nice height (6-2) and may actually be best suited for free safety, if he's inclined to play defense in college. Nebraska has offered, but the Cornhuskers are signing a small class - not many spots are available. Moore lives close to Ruston. Could Tech get another steal, a la Levander Liggins?

Dominick Bilich - OL - Archbishop Rummel - Extremely intelligent student has an offer from Tulane (and Southeastern). Exhibited superior technique at various camps and combines, including Under Armour and Nike Football Training Camp.

Mike Coppage

You guys are the only people with access to these two articles, other than our subscribers on the Louisiana Tech Scout site.

My way of of saying thanks for welcoming me over here.

(And please follow me on Twitter if you aren't already :biggrin: - link in my sig on each post).