• The KillerFrogs

Wednesday's College Football Live

gdu

QUOTE(Frog DJ @ Apr 8 2010, 02:51 PM) [snapback]542045[/snapback]
He spent more time on GP's South Africa anniversary trip than he did football.

It was a vacuous report.

See you guys Saturday!

Go Frogs!

It was a 30 second ESPN clip. In April. No one should have expected anything ground-breaking.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Apr 8 2010, 09:55 AM) [snapback]542053[/snapback]
It was a 30 second ESPN clip. In April. No one should have expected anything ground-breaking.

That's just the point.... it was 30 only seconds. We didn't know it was going to be a 30 second clip going into it. Had we known it was 30 seconds beforehand, people probably wouldn't have thought much of it or gotten their hopes up for anything substantial.

Seems like a waste to fly guys to campuses all over the country to just do a 30 second fluff piece.

gdu

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 8 2010, 02:59 PM) [snapback]542057[/snapback]
That's just the point.... it was 30 only seconds. We didn't know it was going to be a 30 second clip going into it. Had we known it was 30 seconds beforehand, people probably wouldn't have thought much of it or gotten their hopes up for anything substantial.

Seems like a waste to fly guys to campuses all over the country to just do a 30 second fluff piece.

James lives in the area. Herby lives in Columbus (though I believe he is about to buy in Austin). Not too much flying. Has ESPN EVER produced anything substantial on any team 150 days before the season (30 seconds or 30 minutes)? Really not sure why you guys were expecting so much.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Apr 8 2010, 10:03 AM) [snapback]542058[/snapback]
James lives in the area. Herby lives in Columbus (though I believe he is about to buy in Austin). Not too much flying. Has ESPN EVER produced anything substantial on any team 150 days before the season (30 seconds or 30 minutes)? Really not sure why you guys were expecting so much.

Does Ivan Maisel live in Idaho?

gdu

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 8 2010, 03:06 PM) [snapback]542060[/snapback]
Does Ivan Maisel live in Idaho?

I said 'not too much', not 'none.' Nobody at ESPN lives in Idaho. Boise got the longest piece, so someone travelling there was a bit more warranted.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Apr 8 2010, 10:11 AM) [snapback]542062[/snapback]
I said 'not too much', not 'none.' Nobody at ESPN lives in Idaho. Boise got the longest piece, so someone travelling there was a bit more warranted.

I know James lives in the area, and I didn't say that every single guy flew somewhere. There was flying that took place though for many of the guys that did the pieces, and the segments were pretty weak for all of them.

No one was expecting an Emmy winning piece, but something more than mentioning Patterson's vacation and saying that TCU is going to be good would have been nice. Seems ridiculous to even send someone out for that.

gdu

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 8 2010, 03:23 PM) [snapback]542066[/snapback]
I know James lives in the area, and I didn't say that every single guy flew somewhere. There was flying that took place though for many of the guys that did the pieces, and the segments were pretty weak for all of them.

No one was expecting an Emmy winning piece, but something more than mentioning Patterson's vacation and saying that TCU is going to be good would have been nice. Seems ridiculous to even send someone out for that.

What should they have said? ESPN has lots of programming to fill in the offseason.

I'm just glad they came. Did they go to any other schools who lost their bowl game? Any whose conference doesn't have an agreement with their network? They could've easily avoided mentioning us and no one else would've noticed. But now we are complaining about which "analyst" they send to a spring practice? We were mentioned as a potential NC contender on the first day the show aired this season and a top-10 team the second, and we are complaining?

Houston Frog

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Apr 8 2010, 10:31 AM) [snapback]542070[/snapback]
What should they have said? ESPN has lots of programming to fill in the offseason.

I'm just glad they came. Did they go to any other schools who lost their bowl game? Any whose conference doesn't have an agreement with their network? They could've easily avoided mentioning us and no one else would've noticed. But now we are complaining about which "analyst" they send to a spring practice? We were mentioned as a potential NC contender on the first day the show aired this season and a top-10 team the second, and we are complaining?

I'm not complaining, I would rather them come then not come, and I don't care that it was Craig James (even if he is a [ profanity ]). My point was that I'm surprised they would even send a guy out there for that. If you're gonna send a guy out to a school (like they did last year with Bruce Feldman, who produced a ton of good pieces on us), why not actually try and get some content. There was nothing he said that he got from actually being there.

Houston Frog

And, like usual, the argument has changed from what I was originally talking about. My original point was that we didn't know it was a 30 second piece, like you apparently did, before it aired. Had we known it was a 30 second piece, no one would have expected much.

Chongo94

I would also imagine that ESPN had him do this quick little piece b/c it's an easy way of sliding him back on the air after all that Tech/Leach debacle stuff.

I mean he's been in limbo and rightfully so and honestly, I don't see how he can continue to work for them when it appears his journalistic integrity (I doubt he has any integrity at all but work with me here) took a major hit, as did ESPN's for the way they reported and handled that mess.

froginaustin

Was someone following the ESPN crew around? Or otherwise in a position to know whether or not they shot some material for possible future use?

ESPN, like some other pseudo-journalists, will pad stuff that they put on later with "background" shot earlier and at their convenience.

gdu

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 8 2010, 03:48 PM) [snapback]542079[/snapback]
I'm not complaining, I would rather them come then not come, and I don't care that it was Craig James (even if he is a [ profanity ]). My point was that I'm surprised they would even send a guy out there for that. If you're gonna send a guy out to a school (like they did last year with Bruce Feldman, who produced a ton of good pieces on us), why not actually try and get some content. There was nothing he said that he got from actually being there.

I am sure they got more content from each trip than they used during this occaision. They don't have to send a guy out on a separate trip every time they want content. I sure some will be used in other ESPN pieces, the top 25, etc... Same as what happened last year.

again, just bc they didn't use in in an april 7 piece watched by 12 people, doesn't mean they didn't get any good content. Good pieces may be produced in the future. Did we get all of Bruce Feldman's content the day after he was at TCU?

gdu

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 8 2010, 03:50 PM) [snapback]542085[/snapback]
And, like usual, the argument has changed from what I was originally talking about. My original point was that we didn't know it was a 30 second piece, like you apparently did, before it aired. Had we known it was a 30 second piece, no one would have expected much.

No one was changing any argument. We are both still talking about CFL.

Did you think it was going to be a 30 minute feature on TCU football? Have you ever watched CFL before? A couple minutes is the most any one team gets and even those don't have anything groundbreaking. Especially during the first week of April. You shouldn't expected much if it were going to be a 10 minute piece either. This is the first week of April. Spring ball isn't even over.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Apr 8 2010, 10:59 AM) [snapback]542094[/snapback]

Did you think it was going to be a 30 minute feature on TCU football? Have you ever watched CFL before? A couple minutes is the most any one team gets and even those don't have anything groundbreaking. Especially during the first week of April. You shouldn't expected much if it were going to be a 10 minute piece either. This is the first week of April. Spring ball isn't even over.

I watch CFB Live all the time, I have it set to record all new episodes on my DVR. They do pieces of more than 30 seconds all the time. To do a 2 minute piece on TCU would not have been ridiculous. And I thought (since they were sending someone out to TCU and all) that it wouldn't be a 30 second piece where they said absolutely nothing. Like I said before, I wasn't expecting an Emmy worthy piece, just something a little more than, "CGP and his wife went to South Africa for their annual vacation, the Frogs should be pretty good next year... back to you Chris".

713frog

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Apr 8 2010, 10:59 AM) [snapback]542094[/snapback]

i don't think anybody here cares about the Canadian Football League :biggrin:

gdu

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 8 2010, 04:13 PM) [snapback]542103[/snapback]
I watch CFB Live all the time, I have it set to record all new episodes on my DVR. They do pieces of more than 30 seconds all the time. To do a 2 minute piece on TCU would not have been ridiculous. And I thought (since they were sending someone out to TCU and all) that it wouldn't be a 30 second piece where they said absolutely nothing. Like I said before, I wasn't expecting an Emmy worthy piece, just something a little more than, "CGP and his wife went to South Africa for their annual vacation, the Frogs should be pretty good next year... back to you Chris".

I wouldn't have expected much more from a 2 minute piece, either. And I imagine they got just a bit more than that 30 seconds of material from the visit anyways (even if they haven't used it yet).

gdu

QUOTE(The Main @ Apr 8 2010, 04:14 PM) [snapback]542105[/snapback]
i don't think anybody here cares about the Canadian Football League :biggrin:

Tech fans might if they like to follow their former record-setting QBs.

yurintroubl

QUOTE(Chongo94 @ Apr 8 2010, 10:51 AM) [snapback]542086[/snapback]
I would also imagine that ESPN had him do this quick little piece b/c it's an easy way of sliding him back on the air after all that Tech/Leach debacle stuff.

I mean he's been in limbo and rightfully so and honestly, I don't see how he can continue to work for them when it appears his journalistic integrity (I doubt he has any integrity at all but work with me here) took a major hit, as did ESPN's for the way they reported and handled that mess.

He looked like he'd had a couple three margaritas while preparing his "report" IMHO....