• The KillerFrogs

Way OT - Mountain Lion attack

BABYFACE

That's a strange thing to get wrong, and also some oddly specific language in that statement- "predatory," and, "at the location."
I don't think a game warden or anybody with a lot of experience would confuse the damage done by hogs, for example. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I hear ya. But then again I am reminded by incident in Miami in the late 90’s. A woman was found dead in a street on the edge of downtown where it was thought she fell to her death.

It was reported in the news that it was being investigated if she fell from a plane. This section of street that she plunged to her death in a bathrobe, was chock full of high rise condos. I was blown away by the tard on display. Stupid does not even come close.

BABYFACE

Video in the link. Watching this made my hands sweat. She followed him forever it seemed like.

https://www.ecowatch.com/cougar-hiker-utah-2648205007.html

Ha, the dude starts acting like a bad ass when the cougar decides to leave him alone.

I would have tempted to pick up a couple of rocks and hurl them at the big cat. Not sure how it would have turned out but would felt forced to do so when the cougar starting stutter stepping. It was kind of bad ass and terrifying at the same time when the cat did that. I probably would have chat myself.

4 Oaks Frog

Ha, the pasture in question is at the end of the county road that runs past the Davis house. My sister went to TCU with Charlie and Lynn. Haven't seen either of them in a few years years but last time I saw Lynn he was well in his 50s and looked like he was in NFL shape. Believe he was an all-SWC LB in his day. Some great DNA among that bunch. Was fortunate to get to know LA before he passed, he was a friend of my grandfather and a really good man.
The first one that let me know about the panther(s) on that place was Glen Riley, if you remember him. I last heard one there probably 1975, scared me silly. I assumed they were gone, but apparently not.
You ever know Glen Riley Jr.? He was apparently a really serious tracker and hunter, not sure what became of him.
I knew quite a few Rileys down that way. Seems like Glen, Sr had an auto repair garage. If it is who I am thinking of, he was friends with my dad. I can’t remember knowing Jr. Knew the Davis family from high school. Wonderful folks and amazing athletes. If I remember correctly, there were a total of 22 children. I knew Charlie, his older brother, Lee Arnold and younger brother, Lynn. Charlie and Lynn both had great careers at TCU and went to the pros. The youngest brother had an amazing career at UT, and played for the Cowboys. Is your place in Kervin?
GO FROGS!
BEAT LA’ TECH!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!!

Last edited:

Ron Swanson

Ha, the dude starts acting like a bad ass when the cougar decides to leave him alone.

I would have tempted to pick up a couple of rocks and hurl them at the big cat. Not sure how it would have turned out but would felt forced to do so when the cougar starting stutter stepping. It was kind of bad ass and terrifying at the same time when the cat did that. I probably would have chat myself.
Pretty sure he threw a rock at the end and that’s what got the cougar to finally run away

Chongo94

Pretty sure he threw a rock at the end and that’s what got the cougar to finally run away

Yeah, exactly. Thought he was a bit of an idiot for continuing to move a little forward when he first saw the cubs.

My other thought that continually ran through my mind was how lucky he was not to have tripped and fallen down while walking backwards the whole time. He would have been done at that point, holy boat.

OICU812

I knew quite a few Rileys down that way. Seems like Glen, Sr had an auto repair garage. If it is who I am thinking of, he was friends with my dad. I can’t remember knowing Jr. Knew the Davis family from high school. Wonderful folks and amazing athletes. If I remember correctly, there were a total of 22 children. I new Charlie, his older brother, Lee Arnold and younger brother, Lynn. Charlie and Lynn both had great careers at TCU and went to the pros. The youngest brother had an amazing career at UT, and played for the Cowboys. Is your place in Kervin?
GO FROGS!
BEAT LA’ TECH!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!!

I have a couple patches in/near Wortham, one on 14 north of the cemetery, and the one in question back to the northwest of the Davis house and cemetery. Next to Stubbs, if you knew him. IIRC was an executive at Mary Kay, granddad used to say, "he made a lot of money in cosmotics." Both places straddle Freestone and Navarro counties.
IDK if you remember but the Davises originally lived on the farm out off 27 between Kirven and Cotton Gin, but when they moved into Wortham the house was right next to the cemetery on the west side of it.
When Leonard got his first NFL deal he built them a new house on the same location, and one of the sisters now lives in the old house, which they moved onto a lot near downtown on 27 by the tracks. FWIW another brother, Donald, also played at TCU in the 70s, was a DB. Leonard is the only child of LA's 2nd wife, Sammie Lee. Pretty amazing to have 4 siblings from such a tiny town play at such high level, 2 of them All-Americans.
Glenn Riley Jr. didn't stay around Wortham after high school, think he went on to be a professional tracker and hunter all over the place. According to my uncle who was a classmate of his he was apparently Muy Bwana.
I used to have breakfast with my grandfather pretty regular at Keathley's Cafe when I went to visit. Guessing you might remember it. ;). Lotta good stories from there. We'll need to visit sometime, I'm sure we know lots of the same folks, there aren't that many. :)

Mean Purple

A tad bit more info. Apparently the Tarrant County ME is who called it "Wild animal possibly Mountain Lion," but the local law enforcement guys are saying no. Seems like big cat would have some easily-identifiable DNA leavings that would show up on an autopsy, but IDK that for sure.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/did-mountain-lion-kill-texas-134341848.html
meh, those cats have a 75 square mile range. depends on what they are using to identify. and TPWD held to the claim that coyotes don't attack humans after serveral attacks on humans over a relatively short period of time. not saying they are wrong here, but I'm not one to just blindly trust any expert after that [ Finebaum ] bag fauci.

Mean Purple

Family member spotted one in Rosebud/Lott area a couple months back. He has been living down there his whole life so I have to believe him.
We know a rancher not far from Lampasas that had an issue with one. First thought it was a coyote issue. Wildlife folks come out and tell him its a big cat. They are effective at heard thinning.

Mean Purple

At the end of the day, at least it is not a Chimp. Those things are Godless killing machines.

I've seen the stories of some animal lover raising their beloved Chimp for years, only to see the thing rip their limbs off and attempt to eat their face off. Or worse, some poor neighbor with a frickin Elmo doll.

Countless surgeries later, and with no hope for the future, somehow, a dart in a monkey by animal control just does not seem to be justice.

Tarzan was [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ].

I'm sorry, what was the question?

netty2424

Where I live now, truly in the middle of nowhere (The wilds south of Cuero), we have a variety of predatory critters about. Bears, cougars, wolves, scores of coyotes. We have seen a cougar (or Mountain Lion if you prefer) a couple of times on our place, probably a smaller specimen running about 80 pounds and colored more of a brown tone than the sandy color seen in most photos. We first spotted him (I am making the assumption that it is a boy, in that a cat of some kind sprayed my barn 34" off the ground) one afternoon staring at us from across the pasture. I could see him quite well through 12x binocs, and he was to my eye a typical, insouciant cat: He glared at us, then decided to groom his face a bit, and then slunk off into the brush. Since then I have seen him trotting across the pasture, or running across the driveway, or stalking waterfowl when there was water in the creek.

So far, he hasn't done me or mine any harm. But I decided that carrying around a .45 with some hollowpoints was a fine idea when moseying around the pasture. I always wanted to be many things when I was younger. Dinner wasn't one of them...
Probably a good idea to set up some trail cams so you can show the game wardens if needed. They like to know where animals like this reside!

netty2424

A black panther/cougar/mountain lion/puma has never been confirmed in history. They aren’t real. It’s usually just weird lighting in a photo.

Jaguars and leopards with melanin imbalances are the only big black cats.
someone is caught up on his Incredible Dr. Pol episodes!

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Probably a good idea to set up some trail cams so you can show the game wardens if needed. They like to know where animals like this reside!
index.php

JockO de Frog

I have a heavily wooded hundred plus acres, with a three acre pond in

Grimes County. Great for weekend family hunting and fishing. The last

thing I need is to have a damn cougar roaming around.
Pure Purple, I live in Hempstead. Have friends in Far Northwest Waller County and Grimes County. There has been a number of sightings by landowners there of at least one cougar. On the west side of highway 6.