• The KillerFrogs

Wanna Know the Definition of Stupid?

steelfrog

Tier 1
Newbomb Turk has decided to use the self-referential third person in all Steel-initiated threads from now on.

It's an homage.

Newbomb Turk will also watch his grammar and usage like a hawk. (His Newbomb's, not his Steel's; Steel's grammar and usage are above reproach.)
There are a couple of examples of Right Thinking contained in this post. This post should be carefully studied and emulated by Posterity.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Aright, more Stupidity:

Steel has decided to take the 6 chitren, ages 4-15, on a backpacking/camping trip to Guadalupe NP tomorrow through Monday. Here's the itinerary:

Sat--McKitterick Canyon to Mescalero campground--11.8 miles; 3000 gain

Sun--leave camp up; head up Blue Ridge Trail to Bush Mountain; back down and pack up camp; head to McKitterick Ridge campground; about 13 miles. Maybe 14 1500 gain

Mon--Back down to car (7.5 miles) and back to Big D

So, that's 26 miles in 2 days; 7.5 the last with an 8 hour car trip after. The hiking has NO water sources, so we have to carry a bunch of water (and food; and tents, sleeping pads, bags, etc etc) for 7 people for all those days.

Dumb enough for you?

steelfrog

Tier 1
Name the board members a beneficiaries of this $5,000,000 insurance policy. They'll accept electronic signatures...sign right here.

Everybody dies. Not everybody lives.

Exploring. Confronting the unknown. Learning what you are capable of (and not capable of).

count_biffula

They announced the evacuation of the building. I stayed on the 55th floor, at the window, door closed, in the dark, waiting for a pic opportunity. I have a good view from the 55th floor.

Got a few, but nothing I could call a tornado. Impressive wall cloud though. Wish I had a real camera instead of a Blackberry.

At one point I thought about leaving when the building started swaying so much that my stomach was getting queasy. Doors were swaying open and closed. The things you open and close blinds with were banging against the windows. Also, the windows were flexing so much at one point I did go to the interior for a bit--didn't want glass in my face!

Here's todays bit of trivia, once a building gets over 3 stories tall, they're designed to withstand wind more than they are the effects of gravity.

count_biffula

I don't know whether to be annoyed that this has already been posted,

Newbomb's Awesome Architect Thread

or flattered that someone was actually paying attention.

I'll go with the latter. Good job, Biff.

Probably was from your post. I've also seen similar info on a forum where the conspiracy nuts were saying there was no way a plane could bring down one of the world trade center buildings, that it was an inside job, yada yada. An architect was posting lengthy facts about annealing of steel and temperatures of jet fuel burning, weight loads at those heights and wind load factors and on and on. Just ripping the nut jobs to shreds and letting them definitely know that yes, jets could bring down buildings that tall. Ever since reading your or their post, I've been amazed that wind is such an issue for buildings just over 3 stories tall. Over 100 stories, well I could definitely see that, but stunned that it's such an issue for a 4 to 5 story building as well.

NubomTurk

Tier 1
An architect was posting lengthy facts about annealing of steel and temperatures of jet fuel burning, weight loads at those heights and wind load factors and on and on. Just ripping the nut jobs to shreds and letting them definitely know that yes, jets could bring down buildings that tall.
Yup.

In a lot of ways, structural steel is more susceptible to fire than wood. Thick wooden timbers develop a layer of char that protects the inner wood from burning and allows the timber to continue to carry weight. Steel just melts.

They have to coat structural steel with a thick layer of sprayed on, porous goop that dries and provides some protection, but a jet crashing into a building tends to scrape the fireproofing off the steel. No surprise that the World Trade Center came down.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
They announced the evacuation of the building. I stayed on the 55th floor, at the window, door closed, in the dark, waiting for a pic opportunity. I have a good view from the 55th floor.

Got a few, but nothing I could call a tornado. Impressive wall cloud though. Wish I had a real camera instead of a Blackberry.

At one point I thought about leaving when the building started swaying so much that my stomach was getting queasy. Doors were swaying open and closed. The things you open and close blinds with were banging against the windows. Also, the windows were flexing so much at one point I did go to the interior for a bit--didn't want glass in my face!

I've seen at least 40 transformers blow. Big parts of Big D are dark.

Hail just started here. Sounds big!

This is better than TV!

What a wuss! When I was your age, I would stand in the middle of a tornado and light a cigar. :rolleyes:

illini_frog

What a wuss! When I was your age, I would stand in the middle of a tornado and light a cigar. :rolleyes:

Tornadoes existed back then?
biggrin.gif

steelfrog

Tier 1
The most devastating twister in U.S. history, the Tri-State twister, happened in 1925. An incredible twister that went for over 200 miles and AVERAGED a mile wide. Killed I don't know how many. It was a bad 'un.

Wes was born right around that time so, yes, they did exist at that time smarty pants. I think maybe you taken too many blows to the head. Rugby is not for the soft headed.