• The KillerFrogs

Walker Howard (5* QB) to TCU?

abell2do

Jaxson Dart… the starter last year at Ole Miss, still has two years of eligibility left, if Howard is looking for a shot at immediate playing time Mississippi wouldn’t be a very good fit.
No way Howard goes to Ole Miss. Dart is and will stay the starter. At TCU he has a VERY good chance of being the starter.

ShreveFrog

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

CountryFrog

No way Howard goes to Ole Miss. Dart is and will stay the starter. At TCU he has a VERY good chance of being the starter.
I know this is the typical knee jerk reaction with QB transfers to say that they will or will not go here or there because they have a better or worse chance to start. Certainly that's what many of them are looking for. But if starting right away was Howard's top priority then Ole Miss and TCU probably wouldn't be his top choices. There are a few dozen schools where he would probably be the starting QB right away with little to no competition.

It seems pretty clear that Howard just didn't like it at LSU for whatever reason and wants to go to a good program and school that he believes he will enjoy being a part of. I'm sure he wants to compete for a starting job like everyone does but it doesn't seem like being the starter immediately is the biggest factor.

TooColdU

I know this is the typical knee jerk reaction with QB transfers to say that they will or will not go here or there because they have a better or worse chance to start. Certainly that's what many of them are looking for. But if starting right away was Howard's top priority then Ole Miss and TCU probably wouldn't be his top choices. There are a few dozen schools where he would probably be the starting QB right away with little to no competition.

It seems pretty clear that Howard just didn't like it at LSU for whatever reason and wants to go to a good program and school that he believes he will enjoy being a part of. I'm sure he wants to compete for a starting job like everyone does but it doesn't seem like being the starter immediately is the biggest factor.

Think everyone expected the Arizona State transfer Jayden Daniels to enter the NFL draft after this year. Once Daniels decided to come back, that's when Howard entered the portal.

Not saying that the only reason, but could've been a huge factor.

CountryFrog

Think everyone expected the Arizona State transfer Jayden Daniels to enter the NFL draft after this year. Once Daniels decided to come back, that's when Howard entered the portal.

Not saying that the only reason, but could've been a huge factor.
There's also a specific time period for underclassmen to decide whether they're staying or entering the draft which happens to coincide with the specific time period of when guys can put their name in the portal. So all of these things are naturally going to happen around the same time. That doesn't mean all of the decisions are intertwined.

Howard has been rumored to be someone who was wanting to transfer for a few weeks. He's just now officially doing it but it's been expected for a while. And again, if starting immediately is his top priority then there are lots of other schools where he'd have a better shot that he's not even considering.

Last edited:

sandiegojack

the transfer portal period is from dec 5th to january 18th, with another one is may. If a player enters the portal ( many have) but does not sign by january 18, can he sign with a school after that date.

I feel sorry for all these kids that go into the portal but no one signs them.

sdj

McFroggin

False. There is almost no better option than TCU for QB’s right now.

Our #1 is going NFL.
Our #3 transferred
Our #4 needs a lot of development.

The only competition is #2. Our #2 has huge injury risks. I’d give it 50%+ odds he can’t physically play every single game in 2023.

A good transfer thus has 1 potential player to out-compete, and even if you lose the battle, you’ll likely be the starter by year end.