• The KillerFrogs

Waco Tribune-Herald: Let's stay together in the Big 12

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
[SIZE=12pt]Waco Tribune-Herald: Let's stay together in the Big 12[/SIZE]

JOHN WERNER Tribune-Herald staff writer

Earlier in the week, the Big 12 meetings took on the tone of a pep rally, with Commissioner Dan Beebe encouraging every school to band together for a stronger future.

After a chaotic four days, in which reports surfaced that the Pac-10 was interested in raiding the Big 12, Beebe still sounded a positive vibe.

He said he felt comfortable that the Big 12 can stay intact at the close of Friday’s meetings in Kansas City.

But will he still be saying that a few months down the road? ...

the dutchman

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jun 5 2010, 06:13 AM) [snapback]568880[/snapback]

Earlier in the week, the Big 12 meetings took on the tone of a pep rally, with Commissioner Dan Beebe encouraging every school to band together for a stronger future.

After a chaotic four days, in which reports surfaced that the Pac-10 was interested in raiding the Big 12, Beebe still sounded a positive vibe.

He said he felt comfortable that the Big 12 can stay intact at the close of Friday's meetings in Kansas City.

Article is propaganda from the Gaylor whiners.

sous vide

QUOTE(the dutchman @ Jun 5 2010, 09:03 AM) [snapback]568887[/snapback]
Article is propaganda from the Gaylor whiners.

I found it refreshingly honest: It completely admitted Baylor would suck without the money coming in from the rest of the conference that it never earned.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
could Baylor finally get what it deserves? I think they see the end of their ride on the Big 12 coat tails coming to an end.

SnoSki

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jun 5 2010, 07:13 AM) [snapback]568880[/snapback]

In other words..
"PLEASE DON'T LEAVE US!!!!!!!!" - Baylor
crying_girl.jpg

The writing's on the wall for Baylor. Parse the words of Kenneth Starr's letter, and it's obvious that the Pac-16 is a very distinct possibility. Iowa State and a few others issued a similar letter, and the tone was nearly identical.

June 4, 2010

Members of the Baylor Family,

The spring meetings of the Big 12 Conference have just concluded. The media attention that has focused on the potential for conference realignment has made these meetings especially lively and, at times, challenging.

Ian McCaw, our athletic director, and I have been extremely active participants in these meetings, working hard to represent Baylor's best interests. While I have little specific to report, I can tell you that at this time we are encouraged by the way the process is unfolding.

Ian and I have made our case clear: Baylor emphatically supports the Big 12 Conference and wants to see it prosper. In particular, we appreciate our fellow Texas institutions in the Big 12 and the special rivalries that entertain our state and energize our alumni.

We are aware of the intense speculation surrounding the possible expansion of other conferences. We remain hopeful that the Big 12 will remain intact and continue to be one of the nation's foremost athletic conferences.

Of course, we are immensely proud of our standing - both athletic and academic - in the Big 12. In the last seven years alone we have won a combined 28 Big 12 regular-season and tournament championships, positioning us third behind Texas (55) and Texas A&M (30). The academic quality of our students also sets Baylor apart. In the most recent edition of "America's Best Colleges" by U.S.News & World Report, Baylor is ranked fourth in the Big 12.

Be assured that we are committed to doing everything in our power to promote and defend the best interests of Baylor University as these discussions continue in the days ahead.

Sic 'em, Bears.

Ken Starr
President

Letters like that aren't issued if there's no truth to support it.

Spike

Baylor may find themselves where we were in the mid 90s. Might be the best thing to happen to them in the long run.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
Man can you guys imagine the EPIC meltdown over on Baylorfans if they are left behind? I would take a week off of work just so I could keep up with their board.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Spike @ Jun 5 2010, 08:51 AM) [snapback]568912[/snapback]
Baylor may find themselves where we were in the mid 90s. Might be the best thing to happen to them in the long run.

Be interesting to talk to a couple of Baylor fans about this tonight.
What goes around, comes around :laugh:

Nick Danger

Another thing for the Bears to consider is whether or not their current roster of coaches would stick around should they be relegated to say... C-USA!

Frogs1983

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jun 5 2010, 07:13 AM) [snapback]568880[/snapback]

He said he felt comfortable that the Big 12 can stay intact at the close of Friday’s meetings in Kansas City.

Baylor could find itself floating out there looking for a home, much like TCU, SMU, Houston and Rice experienced in the mid-1990s after the Southwest Conference broke up.

Karma's a mother!!!

HToady

QUOTE(Spike @ Jun 5 2010, 08:51 AM) [snapback]568912[/snapback]

Let's see:

Since 96, TCU has added 6 new dorms, 6 new educational buildings, a new student center, a new baseball stadium, indoor practice facility, basketball practice facility, luxury boxes.

We have a billion dollar endowment and the largest number of Fall applications ever.

And I can still buy season football tickets for $100. Not to mention BCS Bowl appearance, College Gameday, Regional Hosting in baseball, etc...etc.

I feel so sorry for us that we don't get to buy $10,000 bonds for $1,500 season tickets to enjoy all of the misery of being excluded from the Big 12.

Baylor will be fine....

Frog DJ

When the Big 12 "left behinds" bemoan the repeated crossing of multiple time zones in this new realigned conference they overlook the fact that the Pac 16 would be broken down into 2 divisions in which 7 conference games would include teams from each school's own division, and only 1 from the other division. As such, UT (for instance) would travel to College Station, Lubbock, Norman, Stillwater, Boulder, Tucson and Phoenix every other year, but would only visit the West Coast schools once a year. That hardly constitutes repeated crossing of multiple time zones, and renders that argument moot.

Go Frogs!

joefrog91

The same day Gil Lebreton's article came out about how the NCAA stacks the deck with national seeding, John Werner wrote an article about how fair the NCAA seeding is. I sent him a copy of Gil's article. He never responded back.

gdu

anybody watching golf today?

"He grew up in Waco, went to Baylor for a couple of years, then transferred to TCU; still lives in Fort Worth."

Frogs1983

QUOTE(NewfoundlandFrog @ Jun 5 2010, 07:43 AM) [snapback]568890[/snapback]
I found it refreshingly honest: It completely admitted Baylor would suck without the money coming in from the rest of the conference that it never earned.

No Ann Richards coattails to save them this time around!