• The KillerFrogs

UTSA Coach Jeff Traylor

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
That's what you're looking for as a middling Big XII program. No one's a sure bet, but he fits the bill.
I want someone with a track record at this level as a HC or a coordinator. There are no guarantees but there are bets better than others.

Who knows, Traylor might be lightning in a bottle. We just don't know.

hiphopfroggy

Report: Texas Tech reaches out to UTSA HC, former Texas assistant Jeff Traylor about HC job​

After firing third-year head coach Matt Wells on Monday, 247Sports reports that the Texas TechRed Raiders have reached out to UTSA Roadrunners head coach and former Texas Longhornsassistant Jeff Traylor about the head honcho job. Traylor and SMU Mustangs head coach Sonny Dykes are currently the lead candidates to fill the vacated job.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...-tech-utsa-texas-jeff-traylor-sonny-dykes-smu

Froggish

I’m mixed on a Traylor. Despite ticking off a ton of boxes, he’s still a few years away from proof of concept. He’s still winning with the last guys recruits and as impressive a culture guy as he is, that’s always a red flag to me.

hiphopfroggy

I’m mixed on a Traylor. Despite ticking off a ton of boxes, he’s still a few years away from proof of concept. He’s still winning with the last guys recruits and as impressive a culture guy as he is, that’s always a red flag to me.
If someone were to come in wouldn't we want them to win now with the guys we have? Doesn't winning 2016 Big 12 recruiter of the year show that he can recruit his own guys?

Wexahu

If someone were to come in wouldn't we want them to win now with the guys we have? Doesn't winning 2016 Big 12 recruiter of the year show that he can recruit his own guys?
What did those 2016 recruits win? Was he recruiter of the year because of the great evaluation of players, or because UT landed a highly rated class? Back to the age old question I guess.

Not saying I wouldn't take him because I'd probably be fine with him, but we've supposedly had on average the 3rd best classes in the conference over the past 5 years and it looks like we aren't that talented a team.

Froggish

Sure. What he’s done in his first 2 seasons is impressive. Still there’s a lot of inherent risk in hiring a guy who has yet to win with his own players. Recruiting is an enormous part of the equation but you have to also be able to develop and reload. He hasn’t had to do either yet.

CFB has become penny stock investing. Seems like an awful lot of ADs would rather speculate than invest in proof of concept. At a school like TCU I think you prioritize culture fit first but unlike a G5 program you can’t afford to miss on X and Os/Jimmy and Joes

Chongo94

Sure. What he’s done in his first 2 seasons is impressive. Still there’s a lot of inherent risk in hiring a guy who has yet to win with his own players. Recruiting is an enormous part of the equation but you have to also be able to develop and reload. He hasn’t had to do either yet.

CFB has become penny stock investing. Seems like an awful lot of ADs would rather speculate than invest in proof of concept. At a school like TCU I think you prioritize culture fit first but unlike a G5 program you can’t afford to miss on X and Os/Jimmy and Joes
Sooo you’re telling me a 5 time Texas state championship winning coach at the high school level and who has one of the most extensive recruiting contacts network out there due to his time in the state high school ranks can’t recruit?

You’re telling me that it’s just a coincidence that the teams recruiting rank in conference went from 9th to 2nd in his second year on campus?

Hmmm. Alright then.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I mean, look what Fran and GP did with Sullivan's recruits. Still that is a pretty big unknown with Traylor. Fran had a good track record coming in.

An-Cap Frog

Fair enough. He could be a total flop.

I think it's a good hire though. Checklist is pretty good from Tech's perspective:

--Has been the boss, not just an assistant
--Knows the state/region; isn't moving out of his geographic comfort zone (e.g. Charlie Strong)
--Has won games as a head coach by getting the most out of the talent he has/can recruit to where he is

That's what you're looking for as a middling Big XII program. No one's a sure bet, but he fits the bill.

Matt Wells hit 2 of the 3 above...

Ron Swanson

well Louisiana "isn't where the talent is" in the US either - but we do pretty well finding the gems from that state that don't want to go to LSU and often become the leaders of our best teams....

We don't need 125 football players every year - we need around 25 or so and if we can get 5 of them from East Texas and another 5 from the boot - that is a lot better that fighting UT, OU, Aggy, etc to get the entire 25+ out of the 300 that are in the major metro areas of Texas
Louisiana is absolutely where the talent is. Pretty sure it has the highest ratio of FBS scholarship players per capita in the nation.

eh0215

Jeff Traylor would be an excellent hire. Won everywhere he goes. He was the guy in the pressbox rolling his eyes at the Texas OC a few years ago when we were slaughtering them. He knew then he was surrounded by idiots as thier TE coach when he made the jump from HS to college coachung.