• The KillerFrogs

USC and UCLA to the Big 10?

ticketfrog123

Without them, an 8 team Big 12 would have been vulnerable to the PAC doing the poaching. Plus, they add large TV areas and recruiting areas with Florida and Ohio.
Im fine with BYU and UCF. I don’t think Cincy is as stable or valuable as some people think. Even Cincy students wear OSU shirts to class, etc. they’re more like an Xavier than a Texas tech in terms of school spirit - worthless when fickell leaves

Limey Frog

Kinda cracked me up.

Fun fact: Hawaii is the eastern-most U.S. state, because a few of its smaller islands are across the date line. So... why not? It's practically Bermuda.

Jokes aside, I mostly disagree with the doomsayers here (for now). I think even at the current fast pace, nothing in college sports is ever neat and it doesn't happen all at once. The Big Ten and SEC each becoming a 24-member AFL/NFL analog, creating a Superbowl and breaking off entirely is the doomsday scenario for us, because I think we get left out of that. But I don't expect the ACC to implode next week, which is what would have to happen for that to occur on a timescale too fast for the Big 12 to react.

For those who say the Pac 12 remainders are going to raid or merge with the Big 12, I don't think so. We've all seen this before. Advantage lies first with those who have so much money they can do whatever they want (that's the Big Ten and SEC). Next, it lies with the leagues with a voting-majority of members who don't have better options (that's the Big 12 right now, but not the Pac or the ACC). The situation you don't want to be in is a conference in which panic has broken out, trust is non-existent, and almost everyone has a quick way out to a place that is at least no worse (that's the Pac).

Oregon and Washington will be in the Big Ten by sometime next week. I expect Utah, Colorado, and the Arizonas to move our way as soon as they each get a firm 'no' from Indianapolis, and they will. At that point we're looking at a competitive league with a decent TV deal, and when Miami, Clemson, and FSU figure out what their legal strategy is for challenging the ACC grant of rights, the ACC is right where the Pac is now and you're looking at Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse, and BC being in play for us as well. That's a great league.

...unless, as I said, the Big Ten and SEC just go nuclear and do two leagues of no more than 24 members with a two-team inter-league championship game. Then it's lights out for us. In the immediate term, I'm fairly confident the better of the two scenarios will play out. Longer term, I have no idea.

Last edited:

Prime BEEF

The money driving the Big Ten is Fox. You might end up with the Fox super-conference and the ESPN super-conference. That's very possible, and wouldn't be good for us.
This is where I think things are headed. A fox football league of 20-24 teams and an espn football league of 20-24 teams. And then the “championship” will have the winner of those leagues play each other in a “Super Bowl”

MichaelHarlow

Fun fact: Hawaii is the eastern-most U.S. state, because a few of its smaller islands are across the date line. So... why not? It's practically Bermuda.

Joke aside, I mostly disagree with the doomsayers here (for now). I think even at the current fast pace, nothing in college sports is ever neat and it doesn't happen all at once. The Big Ten and SEC each becoming a 24-member AFL/NFL analog, creating a Superbowl and breaking off entirely is the doomsday scenario for us, because I think we get left out of that. But I don't expect the ACC to implode next week, which is what would have to happen for that to occur on a timescale too fast for the Big 12 to react.

For those who say the Pac 12 remainders are going to raid or merge with the Big 12, I don't think so. We've all seen this before. Advantage lies first with those who have so much money they can do whatever they want (that's the Big Ten and SEC). Next, it lies with the leagues with a voting-majority of members don't have better options (that's the Big 12 right now, but not the Pac or the ACC). The situation you don't want to be in is a conference in which panic has broken out, trust is non-existent, and almost everyone has a quick way out to a place that is at least no worse (that's the Pac).

Oregon and Washington will be in the Big Ten by sometime next week. I expect Utah, Colorado, and the Arizonas to move our way as soon as they each get a firm 'no' from Indianapolis, and they will. At that point we're looking at a competitive league with a decent TV deal, and when Miami, Clemson, and FSU figure out what their legal strategy is for challenging the ACC grant of rights, the ACC is right where the Pac is now and you're looking at Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse, and BC being in play for us as well. That's great league.

...unless, as I said, the Big Ten and SEC just go nuclear and do two leagues of no more than 24 members with a two-team inter-league championship game. Then it's lights out for us. In the immediate term, I'm fairly confident the better of the two scenarios will play out. Longer term, I have no idea.
I think you are spot on

Limey Frog

S

you’re thinking of Alaska.
I thought I'd heard somewhere that Hawaii is technically the farthest east, south, and west state, depending on how you count it. But Alaska might work for the ACC, too...

Fact check edit: the Kure atoll is, indeed, 100 miles east of the dateline, so Hawaii is probably out for the ACC.

Frog-in-law1995

I thought I'd heard somewhere that Hawaii is technically the farthest east, south, and west state, depending on how you count it. But Alaska might work for the ACC, too...

Fact check edit: the Kure atoll is, indeed, 100 miles east of the dateline, so Hawaii is probably out for the ACC.
Interesting. Didn’t know that. However, Alaska remains the easternmost and westernmost (and, obviously, northernmost) state.

Bizarro Frog

I think we are going to be okay. We are not cash strapped and are located in a tremendous area for recruiting and easy access. We have spent a ton of money on facilities without debt. We will also throw big time money at coaches so the rest of the conferences know we are serious. We also need to remember this is not the TCU of the 70’s, 80’s or 90’s. Even though some of the old sports writers and talking heads can’t get that image out of their heads. The perception from the younger generations is way different.

I think the schools out in the middle of nowhere that are hard to get to and not currently in the SEC or BIG TEN are the ones that should be really worried.

LVH

You’re including FS1 but not NBC or CBS?
NBC isn't involved in college football now outside of Notre Dame and CBS likely won't have access to the Super League... so the question asked is will CBS be willing to use Saturday inventory on 2nd tier football?

LVH

Oregon and Washington will be in the Big Ten by sometime next week. I expect Utah, Colorado, and the Arizonas to move our way as soon as they each get a firm 'no' from Indianapolis, and they will. At that point we're looking at a competitive league with a decent TV deal, and when Miami, Clemson, and FSU figure out what their legal strategy is for challenging the ACC grant of rights, the ACC is right where the Pac is now and you're looking at Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse, and BC being in play for us as well. That's a great league.
The problem is it won't be considered a "great league" if....

...unless, as I said, the Big Ten and SEC just go nuclear and do two leagues of no more than 24 members with a two-team inter-league championship game. Then it's lights out for us
...this happens, which it will. Since this "great league" you speak of consisting of leftover teams not invited to the Big 10/SEC super league won't allow us to participate in whatever postseason format they come up with, the "great league" will be viewed nationally as a 2nd tier minor league. Yeah this "great league" could have a "playoff" but it would be the college football equivalent of the NIT.

Then you have basketball. Will this Big 10/SEC super league try to still participate in March Madness? If not, will they try to create some kind of NBA playoffs style postseason? If they do, that will not have anywhere near the mainstream appeal March Madness has.