• The KillerFrogs

University of North Texas's new stadium

Deep Purple

Not bad overall, but what is with this Jetsons-style architecture University of North Texas seems to favor???

4OI3c.St.58.jpg

http://www.manhattanconstructiongroup.com/project_files/photos/3246-University of North Texas-stadium-progress-image-2011-03a.jpg

http://www.University of North Texas.edu/stadium/images/render-12f.jpg

If Amon Carter is the Camden Yards of college football, this has to be the Spacely Sprockets of college football.

Trelvis

Heard they gave a tour to the media today and it looked pretty good. I wouldnt mind checking out a game up there. Wish they played better teams though...

SuperToad

I have no hate towards University of North Texas whatsoever, and im happy for them that they have a new football home. Hell I almost kicked for them. But good Lord, Its one of the ugliest structures ive ever seen. Sure, the endzone seating shape was an interesting idea, and thats it. You take that away, and its nothing more than a HS stadium. The outside that faces towards the highway looks like a business building of some sort. Again, no hate at University of North Texas, im just not in love with this.

OmniscienceFrog

Looks pretty good except for the wierd looking winged end zone bleachers. Get rid of those and move those seats to the corners of the end zone and make it a completely filled in horseshoe and it would look good to me. Sure, it's unique, meshes with their mascot, and building it the way I described would make it look look similar to some other stadiums, but it would be a much better look to me. It's still pretty nice though.

I wonder if T. Boone chipped in the wind turbines?

texasrobster1997

Sure, the endzone seating shape was an interesting idea, and thats it. You take that away, and its nothing more than a HS stadium. The outside that faces towards the highway looks like a business building of some sort. Again, no hate at University of North Texas, im just not in love with this.
This. The location of the stadium next to a highway screams commuter school. It just doesn't feel like college football . I can't get past that.

Frogs1983

I have no hate towards University of North Texas whatsoever, and im happy for them that they have a new football home. Hell I almost kicked for them. But good Lord, Its one of the ugliest structures ive ever seen. Sure, the endzone seating shape was an interesting idea, and thats it. You take that away, and its nothing more than a HS stadium. The outside that faces towards the highway looks like a business building of some sort. Again, no hate at University of North Texas, im just not in love with this.

I drove by there this week and in person it looks pretty nice from I-35 IMO.Pretty traditional look except for the end zone design.

A huge upgrade from Fouts Field for sure.

roddog

Banned
I have no hate towards University of North Texas whatsoever, and im happy for them that they have a new football home. Hell I almost kicked for them.

let me guess, as soon as they found out what a [Cowherd] you were they invited kathy ireland to try out for that position instead!

Ray Finkle

Remember when we lost this guy to University of North Texas? My how things have changed over the last couple of years. I wonder how much he regrets the University of North Texas over TCU decision.

http://dallasnews.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=58210&Sport=1

Limp Lizard

It brings to me the current state of college stadiums (stadia?). Put in a huge end zone seating area instead of another upper deck, or improve the deckings between the end lines to the side.
For example:
KyleField.jpg

Is it just an illusion, or are there almost as many endzone seats as seats to the sides of action?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Not bad overall, but what is with this Jetsons-style architecture University of North Texas seems to favor???

4OI3c.St.58.jpg

http://www.manhattanconstructiongroup.com/project_files/photos/3246-University of North Texas-stadium-progress-image-2011-03a.jpg

http://www.University of North Texas.edu/stadium/images/render-12f.jpg

If Amon Carter is the Camden Yards of college football, this has to be the Spacely Sprockets of college football.

Wow. That is nothing close to the original drawings. I thought they were building this:

xm874di5.jpg

img_1837.jpg

Raw Frog

I wish University of North Texas well, but for the life of me I cannot understand why they insist on nicknaming themselves the "Mean Green" when they have a top tier legitimate mascot, the majestic Eagle. "Mean" does not equate to strong, proud, or fast. It is a despicable human trait. Is it a vegetable or a germ?
They would be better off having "Mean Green" as a nickname for the defense when they earn it, and going with the Eagles for the overall indentity. IMHO.

Stiff Arm Frog

That is a stadium that will not age well. Some wear and tear and that thing will look like a 50's relic.

This is probably the best argument against the overall design. On the other hand, everyone I've talked to has been favorably impressed. Apparently the luxury boxes and media areas are especially nice, at least by Sun-Belt standards.

I really think University of North Texas belongs in C-USA. If SMU/Houston/Rice ever leave, that conference could pick up University of North Texas as a replacement to maintain its foothold in Texas.

RanaCornada

I wish University of North Texas well, but for the life of me I cannot understand why they insist on nicknaming themselves the "Mean Green" when they have a top tier legitimate mascot, the majestic Eagle. "Mean" does not equate to strong, proud, or fast. It is a despicable human trait. Is it a vegetable or a germ?
They would be better off having "Mean Green" as a nickname for the defense when they earn it, and going with the Eagles for the overall indentity. IMHO.

Mean Joe Green played his college ball there.