• The KillerFrogs

Unbelievable- Bascik fired from The Ticket

2314@work

Contributor
It was his PERSONAL Twitter account. Not sure I agree with this. But having said that, he was an idiot (and another Ticket employee getting fired from a cush job) for what he wrote, with the exception of blowing up the NBA office. Just don't think it was The Ticket's business. But really on the fence about this - he does live in a glass house and he does represent the station. I am honestly torn on this.
Personally will miss his contributions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=5141002

Former major league pitcher Mike Bacsik was fired from his job as a Dallas sports radio producer/personality Tuesday, two days after he made a racially insensitive remark about "Mexicans in San Antonio" on Twitter.

Bacsik, a left-hander made famous by giving up Barry Bonds' 756th career home run, was fired by the station after his Twitter outburst, which came after Game 5 of the Dallas Mavericks-San Antonio Spurs series. Bacsik went on Twitter after the Mavericks' Eduardo Najera tackled Manu Ginobili and was ejected, saying "Congrats to all the dirty mexicans in San Antonio."

"It's been a rough couple of days," Bacsik told ESPNDallas.com Tuesday. "Obviously, I made a terrible mistake. It was very bad and stupid on my part. The last few days, I've been getting positive e-mails. But the station changed their mind and decided to go in a different direction."

Bacsik had been appearing on radio station KTCK.

"When you tweet like I did, you can't see the sarcasm," he said. "It's not a good joke. You can't tell if it was pure hate or sarcasm. I never got to say anything. My tweets were talking for me. When you tweet like that, it's not a playful, harmless thing. It's not what it was meant to be."

Bacsik, who originally was suspended indefinitely by the station, said that when the tweet went on national television, including CNN, the station decided to let him go.

"If you want to do a job like this, your guard always has to be up," he said. "It's tough because my guard was down. I learned my lesson. I'm owning up to what I did. I did a horrible thing. I'm very sorry and will try my best for my actions to speak louder than my tweets."

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 28 2010, 11:17 AM) [snapback]551760[/snapback]
It was his PERSONAL Twitter account. Not sure I agree with this. But having said that, he was an idiot (and another Ticket employee getting fired from a cush job) for what he wrote, with the exception of blowing up the NBA office. Just don't think it was The Ticket's business. But really on the fence about this - he does live in a glass house and he does represent the station. I am honestly torn on this.
Personally will miss his contributions.

Personal or not, his actions ultimately represent his employer and I doubt The Ticket wants to be associated with pinheads like that. Again..."at will" employment.

Just imagine the firestorm if he would've used the "N" word...Quanell X, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, etc. would've crucified the guy.

About time those lunkheads running the Ticket do the right thing. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll fire the entire staff and start over with a REAL sports talk station..

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(The Main @ Apr 28 2010, 11:36 AM) [snapback]551771[/snapback]
seriously. he even threatened to blow up the nba offices. i'm sure that got the attention of the FBI...

Idiot.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(The Main @ Apr 28 2010, 11:36 AM) [snapback]551771[/snapback]
seriously. he even threatened to blow up the nba offices. i'm sure that got the attention of the FBI...

According to some reports, that got the higher-ups at Cumulus as angry or angrier than the Mexicans comment.

Borat Sagdiyev

QUOTE(RaiderFrog @ Apr 28 2010, 04:32 PM) [snapback]551769[/snapback]
About time those lunkheads running the Ticket do the right thing. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll fire the entire staff and start over with a REAL sports talk station..

Seriously?

The ticket might be sports talk about 20% of the time, but it is 100x better than any of that other crap out there.

Mike Brooks

QUOTE(RSF @ Apr 28 2010, 10:41 AM) [snapback]551774[/snapback]
<br />According to some reports, that got the higher-ups at Cumulus as angry or angrier than the Mexicans comment.<br />

He was a friend of TCU football. Too bad.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(RSF @ Apr 28 2010, 11:41 AM) [snapback]551774[/snapback]
According to some reports, that got the higher-ups at Cumulus as angry or angrier than the Mexicans comment.

In this PC world I really find that hard to believe.

50FT FROG

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 28 2010, 05:23 PM) [snapback]551808[/snapback]
In this PC world I really find that hard to believe.

life is pretty simple if you don't say stupid crap.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(RaiderFrog @ Apr 28 2010, 11:32 AM) [snapback]551769[/snapback]

What an idiotic response.
The point of the thread (do I need to talk r-e-a-l s-l-o-w for you?) is whether an employee should get fired over a post on a social network.
This happens to be an excellent thread that has the potential for fascinating debate on a current phenomenon.
Are you really that stupid?

VictoryLap

QUOTE(Borat Sagdiyev @ Apr 28 2010, 11:51 AM) [snapback]551783[/snapback]
Seriously?

The ticket might be sports talk about 20% of the time, but it is 100x better than any of that other crap out there.

The ticket is garbage. It is the male, radio equivalent of "The View".

YA

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 28 2010, 12:28 PM) [snapback]551815[/snapback]
What an idiotic response.
The point of the thread (do I need to talk r-e-a-l s-l-o-w for you?) is whether an employee should get fired over a post on a social network.
This happens to be an excellent thread that has the potential for fascinating debate on a current phenomenon.
Are you really that stupid?

What is stupid is folks thinking what they put on twitter, facebook, myspace, etc. will not be looked at by their employer. Negative stuff will always come back to bite you.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(VictoryLap @ Apr 28 2010, 12:31 PM) [snapback]551818[/snapback]
The ticket is garbage. It is the male, radio equivalent of "The View".

[SIZE=36pt]NOT THE TOPIC, DIL[/SIZE]

Houston Frog

I don't live in the metroplex, so I don't know... what's The Ticket like? Do people like it more or less than the other sports talk stations?

Let me hear your thoughts

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
When oh when will people realize that the internet is public? Doesn't matter if you have to logon to something, very few things are private online. Social media is never private. Twitter is moronic anyway, and if you are employed by someone else, it's not worth it - you will be watched. Kids are worse. They need to know how bad they could shoot themselves in the foot by making damn near every aspect of their daily lives into public record.

That being said, I'm pretty sure I've heard worse than "dirty Mexicans" on-air on the Ticket. I have to think the firing was about the NBA league offices.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 28 2010, 12:38 PM) [snapback]551824[/snapback]
I don't live in the metroplex, so I don't know... what's The Ticket like? Do people like it more or less than the other sports talk stations?

I used to be a Ticket P1, but it just started to get more and more juvenile. Now I can't listen anymore.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 28 2010, 12:38 PM) [snapback]551824[/snapback]

Sports talk but really man talk. Lots of schtick, but kind of needed to break up sports talk.
Metroplex went without sports talk radio station until 1994. Ticket provided a much-needed niche and has a large, loyal following.

50FT FROG

QUOTE(YA @ Apr 28 2010, 05:36 PM) [snapback]551821[/snapback]
What is stupid is folks thinking what they put on twitter, facebook, ,myspace, etc. will not be looked at by their employer. Negative stuff will always come back to bite you.

but wait, aren't his free speech rights being violated :ph34r:

i'm joking.