• The KillerFrogs

Uhhh...Dixon to UCLA rumor/ news

I’m not a tax lawyer, but there are at least 2 universities in the past 18 months wiring funds to other universities in the exact amount of the buyout, calling it the buyout, and contractually passing all tax burdens to the new coach w/ indemnification is the school.

With the salary/rights fees split and with entities sometimes receiving rights fees and always being the recipient of coaches’ side hustle, some tax guys are trying to get creative and are running that buyout taxable benefit through the entity. Haven’t seen that one litigated yet but if it hasn’t been the IRS will be coming for it soon.

Good for Jamie if he’s getting $6 M. That’s crazy money. Even with the FW to LA cost of living adjustments still a huge raise.

I believe you, but still surprised it's being tried... Basically asking the IRS and Department of Labor to sue the [ Finebaum ] out of you.

The vast majority of corporate America legal depts and outside counsel would never allow it, except for bizarre exigent circumstances.

Armadillo

Really curious to see what Tech pays to keep him. Bet he would’ve demanded the Calipari offer from LA.

Tech can pay. So can we. All P5 programs have millions in the bank because of tv contracts.

In the p5, it all comes down to if the coach really wants to be there. I warn that the grass is not always greener. Like chuck coop said today, JD was a lifetime coach at tcu. But now he my be off. Ask Fran how that all worked out. I know it’s not apples to apples. But you get my drift.

I guess my point is that whatever UCLA wants to pay, we can pay as well. It all comes down to if said coach WANTS to be here.

Dogfrog

Because if it becomes clear the coach wants to leave and keeping him is no longer an option due to the harm done you cut your loses and move on to keep everybody somewhat happy.

It is getting close to the stage where if UCLA can't afford the buyout that TCU would not want to keep Dixon.

I’m guessing UCLA doesn’t think JD is worth $8M. Guess Jamie either thought he was worth it or he thought TCU would just be nice guys and get out of his way.
The forward-look analysis is often used by the employer to justify the contract, but courts tend to look at the real, not the hypothetical. Arbitrators, which are usually incompetent, never consider the hypothetical.

The play for Jamie would be to leave, claim that he is contesting the penalty stipulation on certain grounds (whatever they are), and tell TCU that he intends to work for UCLA under a new employment agreement. His UCLA employment agreement would have to very carefully designate that they know Jamie was doing that, and that Jamie indemnifies and holds them harmless against that claim. They wouldn't be able to contribute any contingency funding towards paying the claim as that would nullify their neutral status. Jamie, in other words, would be on his own.

TCU would likely sue for breach and seek damages. Jamie undoubtedly has insurance that would cover such a claim and pay for his defense. Based on other talent employment contracts I've seen, there almost certainly is a clause that details out mandatory arbitration for any disputes, and it wouldn't be private but rather court administered. In that audience, its likely TCU would be forced to settle for a more reasonable figure, but Jamie would have to pay it OOP.

None of this is likely or ideal, but it is possible... And it is also why most parties typically negotiate these things and let people walk if they want to walk.

In all likelihood, TCU will accept a multi-year pay back agreement from Jamie that will allow him to pay the $8mm over 2 or 3 years, likely 2 if I had to guess.

What justifies a contract is the signatures at the bottom.

guidoc

His entire staff (him included) would have rather been somewhere else from day 1 IMO. scheissing Reggie Herring used to come into the weight room while we were in there and loudly talk about how all the other schools he’d worked at were better than TCU.
They were. TCU mid 90's facilities and everything were pretty mediocre if not poor.

But, I wonder if JD came here as a charity case. Fix the program with a little organization and effort, then to go somewhere else.

If that was the plan...he is worse than Fran or Sullivan.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Why would Dixon be paying the buyout himself?

That is pretty unusual

And if so - why would you want to go?

Again - all that says is UCLA has either no money or isn’t that committed

Huh? I don’t recall saying anything like that. What I intended to convey was if UCLA didn’t want to fork over the full buyout we are stuck with someone that doesn’t want to be here.

flyfishingfrog

Huh? I don’t recall saying anything like that. What I intended to convey was if UCLA didn’t want to fork over the full buyout we are stuck with someone that doesn’t want to be here.
Sorry - was more related to the original tweet that said if it was more than $1 mil UCLA would have to pay it

Seems obvious that regardless of the contract terms - the new school is paying it one way or another if it’s a million or 8 million - so it seemed a strange tweet

Sorry - was more related to the original tweet that said if it was more than $1 mil UCLA would have to pay it

Seems obvious that regardless of the contract terms - the new school is paying it one way or another if it’s a million or 8 million - so it seemed a strange tweet
The state of California will not all the UCLA athletic department to spend significant money on a buy out. The financial condition of the state flagship schools is a disaster. They are talking about dropping sports programs the situation has gotten so bad. Any buyout will have to come from donor. The average UCLA alum does not give a rats ass... If TCU holds to the $8,000,000 JD will be our coach next year.