• The KillerFrogs

UCF Being Courted By Big 8?

Froglaw

Why bad news?

If tcu runs the table and goes 7-0 in the Big 12 with 5 wins on OOC (include two other P5 wins), that's the CFP.

Tcu finished #2 out of the MWC in the 2010 season.

Once a team gets into the CFP all sins are forgiven and its a new season.

Let OUT leave after making them pay through 2025.

TCU's path to the CFP will be easier with OU gone.

Replace OUT with winnable P5 opponents.

Should be able to out recruit an 8-5 OU and a 6-6 ut.

I don't see the future as bad.

Moose Stuff

Why bad news?

If tcu runs the table and goes 7-0 in the Big 12 with 5 wins on OOC (include two other P5 wins), that's the CFP.

The “out recruit OU and UT” part is pure fantasy. “Out coach” is gonna be the key moving forward and it seems like it’s just gonna be that much harder to keep a good HC and sustain success moving forward.

Wexahu

I agree with you on this part.

On the other hand, I think people really, really need to stop focusing so much on the CFP. I'm to the point I don't really care about it. If they keep it at 4, the chances we make a playoff are very slim anyway (you know who else hasn't made a CFP?.....Michigan, Penn State, Texas, USC, Florida, Auburn, the list goes on....it's just damn hard to do. And if they expand, the accomplishment of making it won't mean as much.

The worst part about this is being relegated to a lesser conference than others (like we were before) and not being able to take on the big boys on a yearly basis on relative equal footing. Success is kind of being redefined and totally wrapped around the CFP, and I think that kind of sucks.

Well, actually the worst part is NIL and transfer rules, but that part hasn't sunk in quite yet. It will the first time we lose a stud player to a more well-heeled program.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The “out recruit OU and UT” part is pure fantasy. “Out coach” is gonna be the key moving forward and it seems like it’s just gonna be that much harder to keep a good HC and sustain success moving forward.
This.

GMFP isn't getting any younger, and I don't think he'll want to do this for another 10 years. Maybe 5, but that's about it.

The real key element will be if the PAC extends an invite to 4 BIGXII Programs today or tomorrow. If that happens, then then the BIGXII ceases to exist as soon as those Programs can hit the exits. ESPN is off the hook for the remainder of their Contract, and they get OUT scheduled for the SEC as soon as they can wrangle the whole gang together. ESPN would save money by allowing the PAC to expand their payroll a little, and reap the benefits of early entry of OUT into the SSEC (Super South Eastern Conference). Win Win for them.

If there is no expansion offers from the PAC, then the BIGXII should indeed expand. Take anybody but BYU, UH or SMU*. Make their inclusion contingent on taking 1/3 share of TV money for 2 years, then a 1/2 share for the next two years. After that, it won't matter, as ESPN probably won't renew a contract on nearly as advantageous of terms.

*And, yes, I still prefer New Mexico and Rice. Nice road trips, and guaranteed wins for everybody! Who doesn't want two tomato cans on the schedule in Conference?

LisaLT

This might seem like a dumb question but why would the big 12 lose its “power 5” conference standing just because OUT is leaving? I get that they are the big dogs of the conference but only OU has done well over the last decade. Other than UT’s money they aren’t that good and can be replaced by a more competitive program IMO. So what’s wrong with that? There are options and our conference would be better than the ACC or PAC. So I don’t get this idea of relegation.

Wexahu

This might seem like a dumb question but why would the big 12 lose its “power 5” conference standing just because OUT is leaving? I get that they are the big dogs of the conference but only OU has done well over the last decade. Other than UT’s money they aren’t that good and can be replaced by a more competitive program IMO. So what’s wrong with that? There are options and our conference would be better than the ACC or PAC. So I don’t get this idea of relegation.

I know we like to make fun of UT and how bad they are, but they have the 3rd best record in the conference behind OU and OSU since 2012. What "more competitive program" is out there that we could replace them with? Had Cincinnati, Boise, BYU, Houston, Memphis or UCF been in the Big 12 since 2012 do you think they'd have had better records than Texas (or TCU for that matter) during that time? Texas isn't bad at all. They just aren't as good as they should be.

Take the top two draws and the 1st and 3rd best teams out of any league besides the SEC and what are you left with? I have the answer for you....a conference that is a good notch below the others.

LVH

Because those who determine what a power conference is are the big players in the power conferences themselves.

LVH

I agree with you on this part.

On the other hand, I think people really, really need to stop focusing so much on the CFP. I'm to the point I don't really care about it. If they keep it at 4, the chances we make a playoff are very slim anyway (you know who else hasn't made a CFP?.....Michigan, Penn State, Texas, USC, Florida, Auburn, the list goes on....it's just damn hard to do. And if they expand, the accomplishment of making it won't mean as much.

The worst part about this is being relegated to a lesser conference than others (like we were before) and not being able to take on the big boys on a yearly basis on relative equal footing. Success is kind of being redefined and totally wrapped around the CFP, and I think that kind of sucks.

Well, actually the worst part is NIL and transfer rules, but that part hasn't sunk in quite yet. It will the first time we lose a stud player to a more well-heeled program.

Even if the CFP expands, it will only stand to benefit the P4... any access that is given to teams outside of the P4 will be minimal or non existant

BrewingFrog

Because ESPN says so. That's why.

BrewingFrog

Me. I like watching good, competitive games.
Who says they won't be competitive? Why, they'll be in a P5 Conference! The Magic Football Fairy will have flown by and sprinkled Magic Pixie Dust all over them and they'll be automatically better than every G5 outfit almost overnight!

LisaLT

I know we like to make fun of UT and how bad they are, but they have the 3rd best record in the conference behind OU and OSU since 2012. What "more competitive program" is out there that we could replace them with? Had Cincinnati, Boise, BYU, Houston, Memphis or UCF been in the Big 12 since 2012 do you think they'd have had better records than Texas (or TCU for that matter) during that time? Texas isn't bad at all. They just aren't as good as they should be.

Take the top two draws and the 1st and 3rd best teams out of any league besides the SEC and what are you left with? I have the answer for you....a conference that is a good notch below the others.
UCF and Cincy have been very good - and fun to watch. I know everyone around here hates BYU, but they have been turning out great QBs and winning games (#2 overall draft pick last year was Zach Wilson). There are good quality teams out there that can be added and keep the conference strong and competitive. We need to remember our beginnings - and the success we had as a non-P5 member. Same goes for a UCF or Cincy or a few others.

Big Frog II

Why bad news?

With only 8 teams, I don't think the TV networks will be happy at all when it comes to a new contract. Need to add 2 or 4 teams that can help add to our conference game totals. The Alliance may make it more difficult to even get a decent OCC schedule.

Jared7

Texas is 52-46 in the Big 12 since 2010. TCU is 44-37 in the Big 12 since 2012, a higher winning percentage. Yes, if you eliminate Texas' poor 2010-11 records (2-6 and 4-5), you get a higher percentage, but TCU finished #3 in the AP final poll in 2010 with an undefeated Rose Bowl winning team and 18th in 2011. So, since 2010, TCU clearly has a better record. Arbitrarily picking 2012 as the starting point benefits UT; not TCU.

Lisa's question is valid. There is little reason - money-wise or performance-wise - to arbitrarily limit the number of power conferences to 4 post-2025.