• The KillerFrogs

Treading Water

flyfishingfrog

Collins didn't win the spot, I trust the coaches. But if the call was left up to Cumbie alone... maybe he should be the starter. I just don't trust Cumbie as a quarterbacks coach after seeing the development at that position.
I don't think it his development of QB skills that are the problem.

His ability to evaluate recruits - could be a definite issue.

His ability to build a game plan that fits the skill set of the QB - most definitely a problem since Meach left.

Froggish

Wow, bit early to say that don't you think?

I’m not sure it is...Consider his arm talent is as good as either Dalton or Boykin and he’s showing a command of the offense as a true freshman that neither of those other two could do, Im not sure it’s a stretch to say he has a higher upside then either of those two. However upside is a long way from being good. Potential isn’t enough but there is a lot of evidence he’s going to be a good one. His feet mechanics and his ability to work through his reads is something you rarely see in a true freshman..Those things alone are pretty exciting and something we’ve rarely seen around these parts.. Neither KH (Year 1) and SR had those abilities..

Frog-in-law1995

I’m not sure it is...Consider his arm talent is as good as either Dalton or Boykin and he’s showing a command of the offense as a true freshman that neither of those other two could do, Im not sure it’s a stretch to say he has a higher upside then either of those two. However upside is a long way from being good. Potential isn’t enough but there is a lot of evidence he’s going to be a good one. His feet mechanics and his ability to work through his reads is something you rarely see in a true freshman..Those things alone are pretty exciting and something we’ve rarely seen around these parts.. Neither KH (Year 1) and SR had those abilities..

Dalton didn’t play as a true freshman, but was probably better his first 2 games than Duggan. Certainly better completion percentage and yards per attempt. And against better competition (well, at least in game 2).

Palliative Care

So Duggan is the main QB without a title of starter. He needs to perform better to get that endorsement. But ...will he. He is a true freshman and Dalton I believe was a redshirt. Don't get me wrong I love his upside and I am pulling for the guy. I just wish Patterson would reveal what he truly is considering. And that will never happen so... we are treading water for another week or as Patterson said the entire season. It drives you nutz.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
So Duggan is the main QB without a title of starter. He needs to perform better to get that endorsement. But ...will he. He is a true freshman and Dalton I believe was a redshirt. Don't get me wrong I love his upside and I am pulling for the guy. I just wish Patterson would reveal what he truly is considering. And that will never happen so... we are treading water for another week or as Patterson said the entire season. It drives you nutz.
No it doezn’t

Froggish

Dalton didn’t play as a true freshman, but was probably better his first 2 games than Duggan. Certainly better completion percentage and yards per attempt. And against better competition (well, at least in game 2).

As a RSF Andy was in a pretty different offense that didn’t require as much reading. A whole year of learning also seems pretty significant. Did he split time and practice reps with 2 other guys like Duggan? I’m not saying Duggan has been good, Im saying he has shown that the poise, mental, and physical skills are present. He needs to get as much time as possible for the game to slow down. Once he relaxes I think this offense get significantly better.

y2kFrog

We literally just a Big 10 team in the road 34-13 in front of 60,000 people. That is the exact opposite of treading water.

Frog-in-law1995

As a RSF Andy was in a pretty different offense that didn’t require as much reading. A whole year of learning also seems pretty significant. Did he split time and practice reps with 2 other guys like Duggan? I’m not saying Duggan has been good, Im saying he has shown that the poise, mental, and physical skills are present. He needs to get as much time as possible for the game to slow down. Once he relaxes I think this offense get significantly better.

You said Duggan is showing a command of the offense that Dalton couldn’t do. That’s absurd.

Ron Swanson

Max is clearly the QB going forward.

Don’t worry about the Patterson shenanigans.

4 Oaks Frog

Sorry if I offended anyone with my question. Really guys I am as purple blooded as it gets. I simply have been reading too many Patterson quotes where he won't exclude anyone and he won't commit either. The man is as enigmatic as it gets. I know he likes it that way but ya got to wonder.
No problem, Sir. You post here anytime. We can just be a tough crowd sometimes. I think what most here are thinking, most everyone we have at QB right now really aren’t in the mix except Max and Delton. Other than the first series and one other, Max ran the show, and ran it well. I think the decision is made, but just not announced. I will be very surprised if Max isn’t the starter against smew. Hopefully, we can get to see some of Rogers at some point, which might let Delton use his running capabilities in another position. Wonder if he can catch a fast ball pass. He could be a McCaferty type of receiver. I’m pipe dreaming, I know. Anyway, welcome to the board, and if you are a troll, we’ll cuts your nuts off.
GO FROGS!
BEAT smew!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]

Froggish

You said Duggan is showing a command of the offense that Dalton couldn’t do. That’s absurd.

TFresh Dug to RFresh Dalt yah, Andy had a rough year splitting snaps with Marcus Jackson most of the first 10 games. I invite you any others to revisit Andy’s first season..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fr...-look-back-at-2007-the-genesis-of-andy-dalton

Your going to see some real similarities between Delton/Duggan and Dalton/Jackson...Ones a thrower, one’s a passer..Both were inconsistent and the Freshman was mistake prone (except Duggan hasn’t yet been mistake prone). One of the main differences is that GP Let Andy uncork his arm..They really haven’t done that as of yet with Duggan for a whole game. The thing is, I think once you have the physical and mental thing you have to go and compete. Elevate everyone around you through adversity. Duggan hasn’t been asked to do that yet..We’ll see if he’s the future in those moments. I suspect it’s coming against SMU

netty2424

Boykin was clutch. Can’t teach that.

Not saying Duggan isn’t, he just hasn’t had to prove that yet. Yes going to Purdue and getting a w is huge and command of the offense is impressive as a true freshman, but the run game carried him in Indiana.

There are plenty of really good QB’s that aren’t killers. I’m talking clutch. Being down late to KSU and breaking off a 75 yard run for a TD, clutch.

Frog-in-law1995

TFresh Dug to RFresh Dalt yah, Andy had a rough year splitting snaps with Marcus Jackson most of the first 10 games. I invite you any others to revisit Andy’s first season..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fr...-look-back-at-2007-the-genesis-of-andy-dalton

Your going to see some real similarities between Delton/Duggan and Dalton/Jackson...Ones a thrower, one’s a passer..Both were inconsistent and the Freshman was mistake prone (except Duggan hasn’t yet been mistake prone). One of the main differences is that GP Let Andy uncork his arm..They really haven’t done that as of yet with Duggan for a whole game. The thing is, I think once you have the physical and mental thing you have to go and compete. Elevate everyone around you through adversity. Duggan hasn’t been asked to do that yet..We’ll see if he’s the future in those moments. I suspect it’s coming against SMU

How does any of this suggest Duggan has a better command of the offense than Dalton did after 2 games?

Brog

If you're already nutz, how can you tell it is driving you nutz?

Froggish

Boykin was clutch. Can’t teach that.

Not saying Duggan isn’t, he just hasn’t had to prove that yet. Yes going to Purdue and getting a w is huge and command of the offense is impressive as a true freshman, but the run game carried him in Indiana.

There are plenty of really good QB’s that aren’t killers. I’m talking clutch. Being down late to KSU and breaking off a 75 yard run for a TD, clutch.

Totally agree...We have no idea if Max is a winner. He managed Purdue like he was asked..Andy and Boykin were winners. You can’t teach that. It emerges out of adversity..