• The KillerFrogs

Toughest Regional

Limey Frog

Let me just quote you here:

"I think that any team that can't get a run home against New Mexico with the bags loaded and no outs in the bottom of the ninth is very fortunate to be hosting a regional."

That's the comment I was responding to. I thought it a very short-sighted and stupid comment. Especially considering the ump blew the call on that exact play and the Frogs DID show some late inning mojo on that one play.

So get your own panties untwisted.

So, we aren't fortunate to be hosting a regional when two of the teams in our bracket swept use during the regular season? And you don't agree that this team left a frustratingly higher than average amount of base-runners stranded over the course of the season?

That's what I meant. If that wasn't clear then I'm sorry. I guess I didn't think that anyone would literally take my meaning to be that the accomplishments of an entire season should be disregarded compared to two bad at-bats. I think most fans who have followed this team all year would probably agree with the above statements.

Houston Frog

DBU has one stud pitcher named Williamson, that we saw twice (and beat us twice). He has to throw against OU, so at least we shouldn't have to see him in the tournament. Rooting for the Patriots to take down the Sooners.

Oral Roberts has a stud as well (at least based on his stats he appears to be a stud). Drew Bowen has a 1.96 ERA over 60 innings pitched this season.... I assume that's who we'll face on Friday night

So, we aren't fortunate to be hosting a regional when two of the teams in our bracket swept use during the regular season? And you don't agree that this team left a frustratingly higher than average amount of base-runners stranded over the course of the season?

That's what I meant. If that wasn't clear then I'm sorry. I guess I didn't think that anyone would literally take my meaning to be that the accomplishments of an entire season should be disregarded compared to two bad at-bats. I think most fans who have followed this team all year would probably agree with the above statements.

Well, I've been fighting against exactly that kind of knee-jerk emotionalism that follows every loss this team has had. This ain't football. No team goes the entire season undefeated. I'm sick and tired of people ignoring the big picture and focusing on the minutia. Baseball ain't about tiny isolated incidents. Its about long-term trends. After we started 15-9, some on this board were questioning this team. This despite an 0-7 record in 1-run games at the time.

So when I see somebody questioning whether we deserved to host a regional despite all the great things this team has accomplished this season (and last), it pi$$es me off and I will call people out for it.

Limey Frog

Well, I've been fighting against exactly that kind of knee-jerk emotionalism that follows every loss this team has had. This ain't football. No team goes the entire season undefeated. I'm sick and tired of people ignoring the big picture and focusing on the minutia. Baseball ain't about tiny isolated incidents. Its about long-term trends. After we started 15-9, some on this board were questioning this team. This despite an 0-7 record in 1-run games at the time.

So when I see somebody questioning whether we deserved to host a regional despite all the great things this team has accomplished this season (and last), it pi$$es me off and I will call people out for it.

I wasn't meaning to be knee-jerk or reactionary. On the contrary. I referenced the UNM game as a symptomatic example of what I perceive to have been this team's great weakness all year -- an relative inability to bring home runners in scoring position. Obviously it is unreasonable to expect every base-runner who reaches second to get home. But if you've watched enough baseball you know when a team is bringing home an average amount, an above average amount, or a below average amount. You can disagree with me, but I think we've brought home a below average amount all year and that has cost us a few losses that don't look good on the resume.

This team also has a ton of wins that look great on the resume. I do think they deserve a regional. I also think several teams that didn't get a regional can also claim they deserved one. Not least of which being an Oklahoma team that beat us twice and finished third in a conference that is manifestly tougher than the one we play in. I didn't mean to imply that TCU doesn't deserve a regional, or that this team is no good. Just that we were fortunate to get one when others had claims just as strong but were overlooked, and when our team is certainly very good but has not, thus far, been truly great.

The 2011 Horned Frogs are very good and might yet be great. The 2010 Horned Frogs were great. The 2010 Horned Frogs would have brought those runs home vs New Mexico. That was my point. I felt that you misunderstood it, took it too literally, and responded with sarcasm. That caused me to take mild offense and respond rather snarkily. For that I am sorry.